Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:12 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,914,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Seems you forgot all the names and insults you folks called President Bush.:th ink:
What folks? I never called him any names. Although I disagreed with his policies, I respected both the office and the man.
Same with Bush Sr., Reagan, and Ford. The only one I can remember "dissing" is "tricky Dicky" Nixon.

Last edited by PollyGlott; 06-20-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 PM

172 posts, read 441,288 times
Look at West Coast Careers they got me a job in two weeks in my field of study. They are located in Lynnwood. You don't pay them anything, who pays is the employeer.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:20 PM

710 posts, read 1,394,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaackko View Post
+1

McDonalds is ALWAYS hiring if you really can't find something else.

Hell, I'm planning a move to Seattle, and if I can't find something in Engineering, I'll do something to get by.
True that. I moved here in April and I'm a professional. I had a job at the new downtown Target in May, but ended up declining it before the orientation as I got a contract job at Google. All I did was apply with employment agencies, search the web and submit resumes and get out and about looking what retail was hiring part-time.

Honestly, it's really not THAT hard to find a job. A lot of times it's people aren't willing to look outside their preferred area (especially professionals). It's just the really good paying, professional jobs are harder to find, but not impossible. If you WANT to work, I find it hard to believe you can't find ANYTHING...

Old 06-25-2012, 12:15 PM

346 posts, read 965,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
True that. I moved here in April and I'm a professional. I had a job at the new downtown Target in May, but ended up declining it before the orientation as I got a contract job at Google. All I did was apply with employment agencies, search the web and submit resumes and get out and about looking what retail was hiring part-time.

Honestly, it's really not THAT hard to find a job. A lot of times it's people aren't willing to look outside their preferred area (especially professionals). It's just the really good paying, professional jobs are harder to find, but not impossible. If you WANT to work, I find it hard to believe you can't find ANYTHING...

Did you get any other "lower end" job offers? I'm considering doing just that due to the fact that my current Hawaii address tends to scare employers, who think someone from Hawaii won't stay in Washington more than a week, haha.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,126 times
Default Courage

Seattle is a hard place to find a job. As a recent graduate I have been looking all over. Networking, career fairs, [url=http://www.barefootstudent.com]Barefoot Student - #1 College Work Portal[/url]. Thank God it is summer now or I would be depressed. Just hang in their. You will find that job!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:03 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,621,548 times
Actually, Seattle is not a hard city to find a job. Depends on your experience. Yes, you may have to settle for something less at first, but the advancement is quite good there. Seattle does a have a reputation of not hiring those out of the area, but if you establish residence, it is easy keesy. Or to put it another way, Seattle is wide open to job growth for those who are already there. It is one of the few citiies where moving there will increase your chances greatly. Frankly, Seattle has a history of this kind of growth, going back to the gold rush.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,345,086 times
One thing to remember, too, is that Seattle became wealthy not by chasing gold during the gold rush, but by selling goods and services to the miners. If you can't find a job working for Microsoft or Amazon, maybe you can find a job providing services to their employees.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,221 posts, read 80,405,058 times
The Economic Policy Institute’s “Family Wage Calculator,” specific to the Seattle and Tacoma areas, calculates a monthly income (rent, food, health care, transportation) for a family of one parent and one child at about $4,384.That's $27/hour
for what they call a "secure yet modest" lifestyle. Hard to make it on "lower end" jobs here. though even the low cost of living areas of the country seem to be at about $22/hour.

Family Budget Calculator | Economic Policy Institute

Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 AM

3,967 posts, read 4,992,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Actually, Seattle is not a hard city to find a job. Depends on your experience. Yes, you may have to settle for something less at first, but the advancement is quite good there. Seattle does a have a reputation of not hiring those out of the area, but if you establish residence, it is easy keesy. Or to put it another way, Seattle is wide open to job growth for those who are already there. It is one of the few citiies where moving there will increase your chances greatly. Frankly, Seattle has a history of this kind of growth, going back to the gold rush.
OK, so what do you do? I could put my brother's Bellevue address on my resume but when the employer calls for an interview, you're in a bit of a bind getting plane tickets and all that and then explaining how you're currently working in Dallas but you have a Bellevue address...what's the answer here? Anyone?

I've heard opinions on both sides but am particularly interested in folks from Seattle and their opinions of the job market up there. I feel like my field is very specific so when I find an opening in my most favorite state, I jump at the opportunity. I'm relocating anyway but absolutely must work...it's a timing thing to be sure. So, locals, is this statement solid?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,345,086 times
Unless you have a marketable job skill and experience in that job it is going to be difficult to find work here. You're competing with a ton of other entry level workers who have already have roots. This is a very desirable corner of the country to live in and for certain industries it is one of the places you go to make a name for yourself. Competition for jobs is fierce in certain fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area