U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 PM

172 posts, read 543,462 times

Advertisements

I know I'm not alone when I say this, but the search for a job in the Seattle area has been utterly fruitless for me. I have been looking for 10 months. In the first 4 or 5 months I was able to get interviews and a couple offers, but I kept looking as I hadn't found the right fit. I have a college degree, a solid work history (until now), and a great work ethic. However, I can't even get an entry level retail job. I have to say this is really wearing on my confidence. I know many people are suffering now and I should be grateful for what I do have, but I feel myself losing hope daily over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,687 times
You are not alone. I have been out of work for 13 months, and not one interview so far. To make matters worse, I am stuck in a miserable east coast city that I moved to for this awful short lived job. I don't know a soul here either. I cannot even image staying here so my job search is very difficult, BUT I am not giving up! I am determined to not only find a different line of work, but a city that suits me.

You have no choice but to keep trying. There must be some company or nearby city that you have not tapped. You are probably already doing this, but send your resume regardless of whether a position is posted. I am begining to reapply to some companies that I applied to early on in my job search. Recruiting usually picks up around springtime, so that is keeping my spirits up. You have to believe something will turn up.

P.S.
I have been reading, Anam Cara: A book of Celtic Wisdom, by John O'Donohue. Check it out. It's well written with a scholarly tone, not that new age junk.

Last edited by smilealways; 03-30-2009 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: P.S.: Book recommendation

Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 PM

2,357 posts, read 3,220,847 times
What line of work are you looking for?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
What line of work are you looking for?
PAST

I taught preschool for 6 years and earned my BA in English/Creative Writing. I love children, and teaching definitely allowed me to utilize my creative talents. However, I left to explore the world of editing/proofreading and enjoyed that immensely. So, in a nutshell I have teaching, editing, administrative, and sales experience. I know it's an interesting mix to say the least!

PRESENT

Currently, I run a small eBay operation from home--that's how I've survived for the past 10 months. Ideally, I would like to find a part-time position so that I can split my time between working from home and outside of the home.

I'd like to avoid working in the corporate atmosphere as it hasn't worked for me in the past. However, tough times call for desperate measures I suppose.

FUTURE

I am going back to school next year to earn a technical degree in visual communications. This degree seems like a good fit for me since I am highly creative but have a flare for web and graphic design.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,273,364 times
Why don't you nanny or teach preschool again? There's a lot of openings for both of those things on Craigslist. Pay sucks, but it'll get you through to next year.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 PM

309 posts, read 674,602 times
Tutoring is another option. Look on Craigslist or advertise on college campuses.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:59 PM

18 posts, read 42,935 times
Also, check out the Fortune 500 top 100 companies to work for. I was out of work for about 10 months myself, and had a few "bad" experiences with employers prior to that. I decided I wasn't going to settle anymore. I did my research ahead of time - starting with the top 100 best companies to work for. One of the main things I was looking for in a company was one that the employees were happy to work there - thus contributing a great deal to their position in the top 100. I've been at my job now for about 14 months and, I gotta tell ya... I love it and I am SO GLAD I decided not to settle - like I had been know to do.

Good Luck! And don't give up hope (I almost did too).

Old 03-31-2009, 07:10 PM

957 posts, read 284,914 times
JupiterFire, consider expanding the Ebay thing to sell other people's stuff on it, or on craigslist, for a commission. Now more than ever, people have lots of stuff they'd like to get some cash for, but don't have the time or inclination to sell. You could put flyers around neighborhoods like the cleaners / landscapers do.

Be careful, there's a good chance that going back to school won't be profitable.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Why don't you nanny or teach preschool again? There's a lot of openings for both of those things on Craigslist. Pay sucks, but it'll get you through to next year.
I actually have applied to teaching jobs and haven't had any luck so far. I'm somewhat limited since I don't drive and must find a place I can bus to. I did find a school that I was really excited about, but it ended up being affiliated with a cult-like religious group.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilealways View Post

P.S.
I have been reading, Anam Cara: A book of Celtic Wisdom, by John O'Donohue. Check it out. It's well written with a scholarly tone, not that new age junk.
Thanks. I will definitely check out that book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area