Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:34 AM

579 posts, read 1,208,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
When I was growing up in the '70s a lot of peoples' mothers didn't have to work, everyone had a house even poor people, we got to take trips every year (driving not flying but still vacations), people had big lots, many could have horses.
I grew up in the 70's too. We had a large lot, with horses. My parents paid $9000 an acre around 1977 and I remember I couldn't wait to move in. They built themselves (over 3000 sq.ft with stables and tack houses) and sold off several different subdivided half-acre chunks to future neighbors that built too (also large houses with horse property). We ended up with 2 acres, on the salary of a stay-at-home mom and public servant father. I couldn't tell you anything about inflation and land/property/cost of living prices during that time, but everyone I knew growing up, all with the same type house and same size land, had one stay-at-home parent and one modestly salaried parent. I could never accomplish this same feat.

In 2004 when my kids were the same age as I was in the 70s, a half-acre lot in Vegas had been pushed to 300k or more.......for dirt mind you. Not beautiful, dark soil that grows flowers and has amazing water views and loads of pine trees like Seattle......... just dust..... undeveloped with no house.

The California investors had pushed prices up so far, and the BLM refusing to release more land made it scarce (even though in reality Nevada is WIDE open). Of course now we are OVER built and I am surpirsed when I still see the random developer or house going up, we have so MUCH inventory......I definitely think a better lifestyle was afforded in the 70s and 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 02:13 AM

1 posts, read 823 times
Yes, but not all. I am from California, but my family has roots in Washington. Since I have a lot of relatives in Washington, my family and I usually go up during breaks. Though I haven't seen a lot of prejudices towards Californians in the town I stay at, I've noticed that it's a reoccurring issue in the bigger cities (especially in Seattle). From what I've observed, most residents in Washington are okay with people visiting from California, but have some sort of aggression towards those who want to move there. There have been multiple incidences where people have told my family that they were okay with us visiting, but not to plan on staying. Of course, these comments are always after they find out we were from California and are considering buying a house in Washington. We have also experienced this same reaction from distance family members in the city. From what my mom explains, some people in Washington blame Californians for driving up the housing prices a while back ago. I guess some people still feel that way, but I can definitely feel some hostility.

ALSO
It really bothers me reading some of these comments. Just because someone is from a certain area does not mean it reflects their character or who they are. Stereotypes harm everybody and playing the matching game is even worse.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:24 AM

115 posts, read 227,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Siobhan,
I think most of the anti CA sentiment has long passed, but there are ignoramuses all over..I'm shocked that someone from here sent you an email telling you not to come. They've never even met you.
But...when referring to the freeways, if you want to pass as a native, don't say " The 5" or " The 405", that's a dead giveaway. Say " I-5" or simply the number, leave the "the" out.

Ira...I'm laughing! I just discovered this freeway secret last time I was up there. haha
I suppose I will have to work on that.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:09 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cechang View Post
Yes, but not all. I am from California, but my family has roots in Washington. Since I have a lot of relatives in Washington, my family and I usually go up during breaks. Though I haven't seen a lot of prejudices towards Californians in the town I stay at, I've noticed that it's a reoccurring issue in the bigger cities (especially in Seattle). From what I've observed, most residents in Washington are okay with people visiting from California, but have some sort of aggression towards those who want to move there. There have been multiple incidences where people have told my family that they were okay with us visiting, but not to plan on staying. Of course, these comments are always after they find out we were from California and are considering buying a house in Washington. We have also experienced this same reaction from distance family members in the city. From what my mom explains, some people in Washington blame Californians for driving up the housing prices a while back ago. I guess some people still feel that way, but I can definitely feel some hostility.
This is just bizarre. Most Seattle natives wouldn't even know offhand who's from CA and who's "native". I'm from CA, and I never encountered hostility in Seattle, nor did other CA transplants I know. Think of all the UW students from CA who end up staying in Seattle. Nobody bats an eye.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:23 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,917,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is just bizarre. Most Seattle natives wouldn't even know offhand who's from CA and who's "native". I'm from CA, and I never encountered hostility in Seattle, nor did other CA transplants I know. Think of all the UW students from CA who end up staying in Seattle. Nobody bats an eye.
Exactly! The only reaction I've gotten when folks find out I came here from CA is along the lines of "and you left that beautiful weather for THIS?"
Ha ha, yes I did!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right? That was weird. One of the things that really attracts me to Seattle is how live and let live it is with everything and how I would hear from everyone, "welcome to the northwest". I get this same reaction whether I'm in Seattle or Centralia.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Exactly! The only reaction I've gotten when folks find out I came here from CA is along the lines of "and you left that beautiful weather for THIS?"
Ha ha, yes I did!
Haha, I've gotten that too and just tell them that "this" was a large part of it's appeal.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:53 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,870,163 times
From SoCal, now living in Seattle. Most people ask me why I moved here and then proceed to complain about the weather up here.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:54 PM

13 posts, read 22,749 times
Still hate Southern CA, but that's for personal (and hopefully obvious) reasons.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:05 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,426,192 times
Most of Seattle seems to be transplants anyway...at least from my standpoint. At work, almost everyone came here from another part of the US or another country.

I suppose I can sort of understand the sentiment in that let's say hypothetically that a family from Palo Alto lived in a relatively modest $3m home (which gets you maybe around 2600 sq ft over there). They sell the house to a mysterious guy for $14m and then moved to Seattle.

$14m gets you a lot of house around here...and the family is thrilled because Seattle is like going to a black friday sale at Walmart...but the locals who don't own homes get mad because you just increased the cost of living around here.

People from other states are different. They sell their 3000 sq ft house in Houston, TX for $400k and buy a modest home here for the same price and complain that everything is so expensive in seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area