Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 AM

14 posts, read 78,039 times

Advertisements

I assume that the foggier areas would be near the water, but is it pretty much the same after that? I have been looking at real estate pictures, & the
skies all look bright & sunny. Is it this way in the summer? Are there pockets which are "gloomier"? Also, are some areas more windy than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 07:48 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
It's not foggy like San Fran foggy and in general, Seattle has a lot of cloud cover much of the year (except summer) no matter where you are. Personally I think the Eastside of the Greater Seattle area sees less sun in the winter and that's just based on comparison when my husband goes into work downtown and reports having sun downtown. Snoqualmie Ridge area (further east on I-90) definitely sees more extreme weather in terms of snow and wind but is a bit warmer in the summer too. Great views from up there. The summers here tend to have bright, beautiful skies with temps in the 70's and 80's with long days of sunlight. Winters are the opposite though this year we have seen more sun than I ever imagined possible and it has not been difficult for me at all to get through. Who knows with global warming where Seattle weather will end up?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:54 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
The summers here are pretty nice, it's the dry season, but if you live close to the water you'll get some fog. There are also some areas away from the water that for some reason seem foggier, like the Bellevue Eastgate area.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
I thought I read somewhere that the U-district actually gets the most sun?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 AM

203 posts, read 720,372 times
I can almost ALWAYS count on seeing more sun at work in Renton (at the airport) than i see at home in Boulevard Park. Often if i call home during lunch or a break, i'm told it's cloudy/rainy/misty, while i'm standing outside in the sun. I don't know if the south end of lake washington is generally known to enjoy more sunshine, but it seems that way especially from what i've seen lately.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I think there might be something to that, Mitsuturbo.
I live less than a mile up the hill from Renton airport, and last summer I grew a lot of red tomatoes. The Tilth organizations' annual tomato taste off in Wallingford was canceled last year because not enough people had tomatoes that ripened and turned red, and I've always had success growing things like peppers and tomatoes that require sun. melons are another story, I haven't mastered that one yet, but I keep trying.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM

576 posts, read 1,817,966 times
You bet.

There's the "convergence zone" north of Seattle too, which is cloudier on average than some other places.

On some days you can drive just 20 minutes and the weather will be completely different between the two places.

Of course, almost all of the time, Seattle is just cloudy. We haven't had a sunny or even partly cloudy day in more than a week, and it's honestly starting to put me on edge.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:31 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Ah, yes the old Puget Sound convergence zone. I'm no meteorologist, but as I understand this is where air flow comes togther around the Olympics from the north and south, thus converging. This area is generally just north of Seattle to Everett. Not only is it cloudier, but can be stormier as well with heavy rain, snow, thunder, hail, etc.

As for fog, it can happen anytime, but there is a definite fog season, usually under high pressure during October through December. (Except high pressure during these months doesn't happen that often!)

Old 03-23-2009, 04:46 PM

854 posts, read 4,140,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
You bet.

Of course, almost all of the time, Seattle is just cloudy. We haven't had a sunny or even partly cloudy day in more than a week, and it's honestly starting to put me on edge.
You're joking, starting to? I thought that happened a long time ago.

But seriously, we had a gorgeous morning Saturday and evening Sunday and some beautiful, not-at-all-cloudy full-on blue-sky entire days last week. I was thinking of taking my laptop to go work outside, since the bees haven't arrived in force yet.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 PM

576 posts, read 1,817,966 times
Even more on edge than usual... I'm even starting to get a bit claustrophobic.

Saturday was really cloudy where I was, and so was Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area