Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:52 AM

265 posts, read 1,073,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
So why is Oregon's rate so high? And why is Washington's suddenly so high? What happened to make the unemployment rate "worse" in Oregon than the average?? That is a shockingly high number. Are they counting differently or did some extra-bad stuff happen there??
Come on, isn't it OBVIOUS? People with no incomes (i.e. the unemployed) will be attracted to the state with NO sales tax as they will have a better chance of survival there. It would also attract folks who TEND to be unemployed a lot. The unemployed aren't affected by OR's income tax, and get an almost 10% discount on all their other needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:04 AM

309 posts, read 1,025,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
So why is Oregon's rate so high? And why is Washington's suddenly so high? What happened to make the unemployment rate "worse" in Oregon than the average?? That is a shockingly high number. Are they counting differently or did some extra-bad stuff happen there??
Got a cite for these so called "high" rates for registered nurses specifically?

edit: I just realized you MIGHT not be referring to my post. If not, my bad. I thought you were discussing RNs.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM

119 posts, read 1,027,791 times
I think its just everyone everywhere is starting to feel it.Its not that something bad happened (other than the obvious), It's just that nowhere was safe forever from the economy. Its just starting to affect the PNW area. Like I said before, be glad its not as bad there as it is here or other places. Michigan just did their 4th or 5th unemployment extension. You can now collect unenployment for 80 weeks in Michigan. almost 1.5 years. Tell me thats not excessive.

Like I said, its nto that something bad happened, just that NO area is immune. I think there are only two cities in the US with an actual growth rate. Even Las Vegas and Atlanta, once bastions of growth, are faltering and seeing negative growth.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:16 PM

854 posts, read 4,140,043 times
dpgtfc, I was asking about this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
And that's worse than the national rate of 8.5%. On the other hand, Oregon is an even more horrible 12.1%.

9.2% unemployment "troubling" for state
I heard on the radio yesterday about Oregon's unemployment rate being so high, and Washington's being higher than average too.

I found a good table:
Unemployment Rates for States

Elektro, are you serious or sarcastic about people moving to OR because there's no sales tax?? Delaware, Alaska, and Montana don't have sales tax either, but their unemployment rates are below average, so I'm doubting that theory. (Except that if I had to pick one of those four states to live in, I'd pick OR!).

I understand what's happened in Michigan and North Carolina, but not Oregon or South Carolina, to make them SO bad. What's so different, besides sales vs income tax, that made Oregon's numbers so bad? Are things really worse there or is it a reporting thing that makes them LOOK bad? That's my question. It's a generic, not health-or-nursing related, question.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:58 AM

10 posts, read 36,380 times
HA HA I have 20 years as a professional Driver, Any blue collar type of work you can think of I can do and have done it. I send out maybe 10-15 Resumes a day. I also do the prowl as I call it. I see you have a truck in your "yard" you get my resume like it or not. Going on 3 weeks now and nothing.
My favorite right now is sending in my resume from an add on Craigslist and then it goes away.. the add.. then a new one pops up same company I send my resume again and nothing and the cycle continues! I so want to name the 2 companies, But I want to work for either. SO I bite my lip.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
3 weeks! That's nothing. I'm up to 5 months.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:07 PM

263 posts, read 1,078,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
3 weeks! That's nothing. I'm up to 5 months.

jesus, 5 months!?

how do you people afford it?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:08 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
My friend left Iraq one week ahead of me....to go back to El Paso. He sent me an email a few days ago..."Dude, help a brother out." I had called him (for a reference) back in November and told him my plan to go back to Iraq while I still had some network contacts. He just just kind of chuckled and said, "I'll see what I can find here."

That's 8 months, now.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:31 PM

263 posts, read 1,078,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
My friend left Iraq one week ahead of me....to go back to El Paso. He sent me an email a few days ago..."Dude, help a brother out." I had called him (for a reference) back in November and told him my plan to go back to Iraq while I still had some network contacts. He just just kind of chuckled and said, "I'll see what I can find here."

That's 8 months, now.

You doing IT over there? are you in the Green Zone? stay safe man.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
jesus, 5 months!?

how do you people afford it?
Marry a programmer. They're smart, cute, and will carry you through recessions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area