Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:00 PM

309 posts, read 1,026,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Marry a programmer. They're smart, cute, and will carry you through recessions.
Huh, I'm a programmer and my wife is going to have to carry me through this recession. At least until I find a job in this market.

My advice is to marry a Physical Therapist. They will carry you through recessions. (Plus they too are smart and cute, beautiful in my wife's case)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 06:06 PM

263 posts, read 1,079,133 times
Quote:

Oh yes, good to be a woman I suppose. What if you are the programmer, though?

Ditto dpgtfc.

Unfortunately I'm in the former category with a bit more emphasis on cute (hey, it's anonymous, why not throw it in there!). Guess I can't compalin if I have a job...ehhhh.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:21 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Quote:
Only if they have an H1B visa. Otherwise they're fair game to be laid off too. IT companies want to fire as many Americans as they can since they typically want higher incomes and benefits than those who "just want an in".

Old 04-16-2009, 06:29 PM

263 posts, read 1,079,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Only if they have an H1B visa. Otherwise they're fair game to be laid off too. IT companies want to fire as many Americans as they can since they typically want higher incomes and benefits than those who "just want an in".

Eventually there will be an H1B visa blackmarket in bellevue/redmond....where American citizents try to get one.

-----

I read an article on SeattleTimes about MS laying off and under the pressue to get rid of foreigners first. Microsoft's response was that they are firing a smilar percentage of H1B as other meployees and they were not going to focus just on them as 'they've contributed a good deal to the country/society'. Maybe there's more myth to the idea that citizens are getting the boot more than imported workers?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:57 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,988 times
what about the medical field? do i have a chance as a LPN?

Old 04-17-2009, 04:10 PM

25 posts, read 70,133 times
I'll just go for my masters.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesEnergyGuide View Post
I'll just go for my masters.

Totally agree. If you can afford it, get it, and when the economy goes back into full swing again, you'll be that much more marketable.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
Eventually there will be an H1B visa blackmarket in bellevue/redmond....where American citizents try to get one.

-----

I read an article on SeattleTimes about MS laying off and under the pressue to get rid of foreigners first. Microsoft's response was that they are firing a smilar percentage of H1B as other meployees and they were not going to focus just on them as 'they've contributed a good deal to the country/society'. Maybe there's more myth to the idea that citizens are getting the boot more than imported workers?
Not a myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area