Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:17 AM

117 posts, read 432,088 times

Advertisements

thanks to all of you who post your opionions here...it does help

We are moving to Seattle this spring (going to househunt next weekend)...two things have me concerned....the weather and the traffic (surprise!)

1...we live in Rochester NY...the second grayest city in the US....so if this is fine to me...is Seattle much different? On the plus side, you certainly wont have snow and freezing temps from october to april!! We have also lived in Ireland and in Denmark and have held up just fine...but people have never gone on about the weather with such a passion as they have on these boards (before Rochester we lived in Austin for 3 yrs but I think that is another thread )

2 DH is going to work in everett....commute from kirkland or north redmond...he has driven to both during his normal commute times and I have been keeping an eye on the traffic updates...so far it seems like it is usually event free....lots of miles but fast....he will usually leave for work around 6:30 am so that wont be a problem but returning at 5:30 is potentially dicey...any thoughts....if most days he will be fine then I am not going to worry about it....we really want to be in the midst of things which is why we have focused on the eastside....out of curiousity, could we live in north seattle and have an easier commute? Any place with great schools....queen anne?

thanks for all your help....these boards are really a great resource

Theresa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 11:59 AM

388 posts, read 1,780,005 times
I spent a month in Watertown in the winter two different times, so I have a limited view of what it's like there, but my guess is that you won't have any problems moving/adjusting to the Seattle area.

When it snows, it will be different as most people in the I5 corridor have no clue as to how to drive on snow.

2" and it's a mess, 4-6" and it's a parking lot, with many people abandoning their vehicles on the roads, mostly on the ramps and blocking anyone from getting off the highways.

Not entirely their fault as there just isn't enough snow handling equipment in the area.

The snow is different, as it's not usually cold enough to make the same know of snow you're used to. Seattle gets that heavy sticky stuff that packs into slippery soft ice and does make it difficult to drive on.

I'll leave the commute question to someone more familiar with it.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:00 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,769,665 times
Being from Buffalo, originally, and having lived in Seattle, I really thought I would not have a problem there. I was wrong. I know Rochester gets a lot of snow, but snowy seasons often have sunny skies. The grey clouds in Seattle outnumber the greyness there. It doesn't sound logical, but it is.

It sounds like you are going anyway, so it's not a matter of choice. However, keep in mind that the weather there is both like a constant Spring rain or mist like next to Niagara Falls. It is very grey most of the time, even in-between rain, itself. Snow is actually drier. That dampness just doesn't dry.

I'd suggest that when you get there to buy full spectrum light bulbs for all over your house -- seriously. And make sure you have a really good raincoat. You will still need winter coats because the chill from the dampness is cold, and often houses are not as well-insulated or have as good a heating system.

It is a lovely area with lots to do, but you will be relegated to the indoors much of the time. If you have small children, be aware of looming ear infections -- I've heard of kids there having tubes put in their ears for over ten years because it is so damp the ears don't dry. If you have the money and resources, then you will be lucky to take trips out of there into the sun -- much like people from Western New York might go to Florida.

On the plus side, there is little snow (although I now realize I prefer some snow over all that rain), so you won't have to worry about winterizing things too much. But then again, you won't have the beauty of a snowfall, either.

Also, Spring flowers bloom earlier, which is nice. Many people have lovely gardens in their yards. I would think most Seattle schools would be okay -- it's a fairly safe city with good resources. Queen Anne is a very nice part of town.

Summers are gorgeous there. The rest of the year, rain, rain, rain. No, not 24 hours a day, but sometimes it feels like that. And there is also a Buffalo (I assume people from Rochester go, too) Club that gets together and has chicken wings and pizza and Canadian beer! (I don't have the contact number, howevever, it may be advertised in the local paper.) Lots of people were just glad to get out of the snow - I was glad to leave the snow but disappointed in all the wetness -- I hadn't anticipated that level of wetness. But I was lucky, at the time I was only renting, so I didn't invest in a house and was able to move and get another job elsewhere.

It's a very laid-back westcoast culture -- not as direct nor open as the eastcoast in that way, but very polite.

Since you are already moving there, I think the only real advice I can give is to get those full-spectrum light bulbs and a good raincoat! Good luck to you!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:24 PM

139 posts, read 1,213,612 times
No doubt Seattle has alot of overcast days. But contrary to popular belief on average the "rainiest" months are November, December, & January. With the exception of last November which was the wettest in recorded history of the area. Expect temperatures to be between 40-70 degrees on average which is mild and temperate. Nine months or 11 months is a blatant exaggeration. Is perpetuated by people who don't like Seattle becasuse it doesn't get 300 days of sun. But here was what they want tell you Seattle's air quality some of the best in the nation its green year round and the moderate temperatures allow you to be outdoors year round. Did I mention Seattle is surrronded by water and mountains one of the most scenic places in the country.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:09 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,769,665 times
I have a feeling that Seattletony has not lived in Rochester, so I'm just pointing out that being from the area you are moving from is still different than Seattle. And no one has ever said it is "rain" 11 months of the year, although 11 months of the year there IS dampness, mist, and rain .. and the thing that bothers many people: the thick grey clouds. Think of the mist standing next to Niagara Falls -- that is very common there. (If you're in Rochester, I'm pretty sure you've probably been to the Falls.)

The reality is you have already made the decision to move there, so I think it is a moot point. And, likely, you will find that no snow is nice, but that the Spring-like weather year-round can be daunting, if you are not used to it. Lots of people think snow is "bad," however, it's a pain to drive in, and yes, having to shovel yourself out of your house is also a pain, but snow is drier and you get sunny skies.

So, I think that since your decision has already been made, and you will either enjoy the weather or learn to deal with it, that you might want to go over to the "What I like/love about Seattle" thread, as that is probably more what you need to hear about.

As I think every single person who has not enjoyed the Seattle weather has said, it is a great city. If you're not raised there, though, and you have experienced different environments, it IS different there -- no way to get around it. Obviously, it is wet there a lot of the time, otherwise people wouldn't be talking about it.

I guess I've said enough. Some people like the weather, some tolerate it, some love it there -- you're hearing from a little bit of each.

AND as I have repeatedly said, it IS a really nice city with a lot going on, so I am sure you WILL enjoy it, regardless. Good luck to you, and have a safe trip there!

P.S. Maybe Seattletony will be willing to show you around!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:36 AM

5,595 posts, read 18,992,496 times
Just a quick note on your commute question, Theresa. Your DH will be actually reverse commuting if going to Everett from the eastside in the AM and returning to the eastside in the PM. So yes, in this case, the commute should be fairly good going NB on I-405 in the AM and southbound in the PM. He'll have pockets of congestion but like I say, the heavy traffic will be going in the opposite direction.

Conclusion? Yes, stay in the L'dub school district even though the commute may be better from the north Seattle suburbs, the Lake Washington School District #414 is highly rated.

--'rocco

Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 AM

117 posts, read 432,088 times
thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply....most of all, I am glad to hear that the commute wont be complete murder and we are looking forward to enjoying the summer before the rain returns....BTW it is forecast for snow in Rochester this weekend...so Seattle weather is looking pretty good right now
Theresa

Old 04-07-2007, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 16,896 times
I just have to hop in on this thread. We've lived in Rochester for 12 years - and my husband is currently talking to recruiters about a job relocation in Seattle.

First let me say that Seattle is my favorite city, having visited it numerous times in the past. Weather-wise, it isn't that different from Rochester, actually. Except that we get mounds of snow and you all get rain in the winter. One of the things I love about Seattle is the temperate climate. In Rochester, we quite literally get about 6 months worth of winter. In fact right this moment it is snowing quite hard. I'd say, weatherwise its pretty much a tradeoff. YOu just have to decide whether you like snow or rain better. JMO.

Needless to say, I'm really hoping my husband accepts the job. I think Seattle is absolutely lovely. My concern is only the traffic, which is something we don't have a problem with AT ALL in upstate New York. Otherwise, I'm pretty stoked.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 14,458 times
Default weather

Is it just me, or is the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side" applicable here?
I lived in Buffalo for 10 years in undergrad/grad and somehow managed to survive long very cold gray months of winter, never the wiser until I came to Florida. Now I can't imagine tolerating those months of trudging through the snow and praying for summer. HOWEVER, after six years in the lovely Florida sunshine, I've found the unrelenting summer heat is finally getting to me (it's still almost 90 every day and it's October for cripes sake!).
My husband and I have friends and family in Seattle--first time we visited, HATED the weather (cold, wet, grey in September already), next visit was in February--crisp, cool , sunshine every day and Mt. Rainer looking gorgeous. last visit was this May and again so beautiful--cool days and you could actually sit outside and enjoy the sun (unlike here most of the day once it heats up). We want to relocate to Seattle now and our Florida friends think we are nuts--the gray rainy legend being what it is and won't we miss the sunshine and beaches, etc; but let's be serious, with two full time jobs, a child and regular errands and things to do, we don't see as much of the beaches as we did on our Florida vacations!
....just some food for thought....

Old 10-13-2007, 03:50 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,057,739 times
I would say Seattle has much better climate than Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Anchorage, New York and Boston

Last edited by Botev1912; 10-13-2007 at 04:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area