Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:29 AM

301 posts, read 1,435,613 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently moved to the area, and we're currently staying at my mother-in-law's in the Northern suburbs of Seattle. I have been looking for a job for the last couple of months and finally found one at Microsoft. Now, we're planning to move to Seattle itself, and wondering where would be a good place to move to! (I want to be in Seattle instead of the Eastside because, well, I'm just a city guy )

I intend to take the Microsoft connector bus as I don't like driving (and certainly not during rush hour), plus I would be able to get some work done during the commute.

We've got it narrowed down to two neighborhoods: Wallingford and Capitol Hill. The Wallingford connector bus stops are basically around Stone Way N and 45th, and 45th and Bagley. The capitol hill stops I am interested in are on 19th and Mercer, and 16th and Denny.

Basically I would like to be living in a place 5-10 minutes walk from those stops. And be similarly close to a walkable commercial neighborhood core. That seems to be 45th street in Wallingford, and 15th Ave (and a little bit of 19th Ave) in cap hill.

I've visited those areas and they both seem nice, but I was wondering if anyone had input on them, in particular regarding:
- Overall pleasantness
- Noise
- Coffee shops
- Walkability
- Nightlife
- Safety
- Cost
- Ease of access to other parts of town by bus

We are both in our late twenties, and with no kids. We want to rent a 1 (or perhaps 2) bedroom apartment.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 11:23 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
Those places are both good in my book. I'd take Capitol Hill. Probably less safety, but shouldn't be an issue if you don't venture out too late. Noise shouldn't be much of a problem somewhere off 15th. I'd stay close to 15th, so you could easily walk to Broadway and beyond. Should cost more, because it's a better location with better access to other parts of town, including by bus. Nightlife should be better; e.g. from 15th you could walk to the Paramount, which has acts like Seinfeld. Coffee shops include the best anywhere IMO, Stumptown at 12th & Madison and another one on Pike St., plus Victrola on 15th which is pretty good. Overall pleasantness for me includes great parks (namely Cal Anderson and Volunteer), views, and restaurants. I think Wallingford is nice too but the best part is a lot smaller, and it's not as central to everything else. I don't know of any great coffee there.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
I'm with Heiwos. I like them both, and I prefer Capitol Hill, with a couple of caveats.
Broadway is kind of scuzzy, 15th is nicer, and 19th has less retail, but is also pleasant.
West of Broadway seems to have younger residents and is more densely populated, maybe less safe, and maybe noisier. The further east and north you go on Capitol Hill, the more quiet and pleasant.
So if it were me I'd look between 15th and 19th...Trader Joes is at 17th and Madison, so that's an additional draw.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:48 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
I would choose Wallingford because of its proximity to the zoo and Green Lake. In Green Lake there is awesome coffee at Zoka.

I dunno, I find Capitol Hill to be too eclectic and if I had kids I wouldn't let them roam around at night around there, but that's just me.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:52 AM

21 posts, read 58,891 times
My votes for Wallingford. Seems a bit cleaner to me.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Overall I'd agree that Wallingford is cleaner than Capitol Hill. But North Capitol Hill, from Volunteer Park north and east is just gorgeous. The housing prices also reflect that.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:09 AM

151 posts, read 525,689 times
Both are nice areas but if you want to be part of the city, it's Cap Hill, no contest. Wallingford is great but you're pretty far removed from the action.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM

301 posts, read 1,435,613 times
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone .

Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
I lived both places and I preferred Capital Hill, it was a lot livelier and the people watching was way better. Of course my caveat is last time I lived on Capital Hill it was 1988.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:18 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,184 times
Cap Hill has historically been gay and freak-friendly. Broadway was a haven for street kids. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. It's eclectic.

After spending a lot of time on the hill 5 years ago, I was surprised to revisit it lately. The vibe is changing. Old blocks are cleared and being rebuilt with typical Seattle brick box-condos with street level retail. I was at the new Dillitante Cafe on the north end of Broadway and it was full of mid-upper 20s hipsters with nary visible body modification.

The hill is intransition. But it is super convienent to all things downtown and has a mix of clubs, restaurants and cafes. I like Wallingford, but you still need to get over a bridge (which can be a PITA during traffic). I'm mid-30s and would prefer Queen Anne over both. The hill is grittier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area