Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:01 AM

5 posts, read 15,676 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are taking an cruise out of Seattle May 30th. We fly in Friday afternoon sail out Saturday afternoon, so not much time. We want to rent a car and see your countryside. We’re from FL and going on the cruise so even though we love the water, we thought we would like to see mountains & forest rather than Oceanside. No time for activities, just viewing scenery. We thought we could start our drive Friday stay the night in some small town and take a different route back to the port Saturday at 1:00. Sorry to be so lengthy any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-24-2009 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: removed tags
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 AM

187 posts, read 576,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlaws View Post
My wife and I are taking an cruise out of Seattle May 30th. We fly in Friday afternoon sail out Saturday afternoon, so not much time. We want to rent a car and see your countryside. We’re from FL and going on the cruise so even though we love the water, we thought we would like to see mountains & forest rather than Oceanside. No time for activities, just viewing scenery. We thought we could start our drive Friday stay the night in some small town and take a different route back to the port Saturday at 1:00. Sorry to be so lengthy any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
A couple guys and I once rode our Vespas from Seattle to Vancouver B.C. for a scooter rally, sticking to smaller highways and country roads along or near the coastline. It was one of the most beautiful drives I have ever experienced - especially a stretch of road called Chuckanut Drive (I know, silly name) up to Bellingham.

I would drive north up I5 from Seattle until you hit Chuckanut Junction and get onto Chuckanut Drive (HWY-11) going north. Make Fairhaven (a neighborhood just south Bellingham) your final destination. It's a cute old town with cafes, restaurants, antique shops, etc. It really is beautiful. This drive is a perfect day-trip. More info http://www.fairhaven.com/

Another much shorter, but still beautiful, drive is to Snoqualmie falls. Take I90 east from Seattle and get off on Snoqualmie Pkwy and follow the signs to the falls. You could do Snoqualmie falls and back to Seattle in a few hours.

There are of course countless other scenic drives, but these are some of my favorite quick "weekend get-a-ways."

Best of luck!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,334 times
That's not much time! If you were starting earlier in the day Friday I might suggest Leavenworth or even the Cascade Loop if you had another day, but since you just have Friday night and Saturday morning, maybe Snoqualmie would be more appropriate. You can get on I-90 and drive into the base of the mountains there, see as much or as little as you have daylight for, and stay overnight there. Saturday morning wake up, see the sun come up over the mountains, drive over the pass, Lake Keechelus if there's time. Then turn around and drive back!!

If you're a fan of the show Twin Peaks, it's set nearby in North Bend. Some people like to go to Tweede's for a damn fine cup of coffee. I'm not personally a fan of the restaurant, but my stepmother-in-law is, so some people think it's cool.

Anyway, if you want a chance to see the mountains, I'd get to Snoqualmie. There's an expensive lodge/spa type place next to a waterfall (Salish); there are some little B&Bs; I don't think there are any big chains. North Bend may have more. If there isn't what you're looking for in terms of overnight in Snoqualmie/North Bend, then Issaquah would likely have an easy hotel and still easy highway/mountain access for an early morning trip to the mountains. It is beautiful.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:03 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
How about going to the little towns of Roslyn or Cle Elum? You want mountains? You'll be driving over Snoqualmie Pass, and both towns are fairly high up, and about a 90 minute drive from the airport.
The TV show Northern Exposure was filmed in Roslyn, pretending to be Cicely, Alaska...
There's not a whole lot to do in either town, but both towns have a few good restaurants( Cle Elum has a great Italian place, and Roslyn has a great breakfast place.)

Old 04-24-2009, 12:47 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times
I second the I-90 route to Cle Elum or Roslyn. It's a quick, high value trip. Definitely see Snoqualmie Falls even though you say no activities; you'll have time. Issaquah has a Motel 6, Holiday Inn, and some brand name like Sheraton or Hilton. If you prefer spending $$$$ for luxury then Salish Lodge next to Snoqualmie Falls is the place, and they're known for decent food. There are several hotels off I-90 in Bellevue as well. Other activities (as you'll have time) are the Ashael Curtis nature trail off exit 47, and a small but nice waterfall just off the highway at Iron Horse State Park (take a left after exiting the freeway; you can park next to the falls). Exit 38 I think, but google for it.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
I second the I-90 route to Cle Elum or Roslyn. It's a quick, high value trip. Definitely see Snoqualmie Falls even though you say no activities; you'll have time. Issaquah has a Motel 6, Holiday Inn, and some brand name like Sheraton or Hilton. If you prefer spending $$$$ for luxury then Salish Lodge next to Snoqualmie Falls is the place, and they're known for decent food. There are several hotels off I-90 in Bellevue as well. Other activities (as you'll have time) are the Ashael Curtis nature trail off exit 47, and a small but nice waterfall just off the highway at Iron Horse State Park (take a left after exiting the freeway; you can park next to the falls). Exit 38 I think, but google for it.
NO NO don't want to spend $$$$ just the opposite, spent to much already on cruise. Looking for a cheap place just to sleep. Thank you all for comments so far, this is great.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:14 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times
Then the Motel 6 or Holiday Inn in Issaquah would be good choices. They're next to the freeway but seem decent otherwise. Your timing might make staying in Cle Elem or Roslyn better, but I don't know what's there.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:14 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Personally I was just in Roslyn/Cle Elem 2 weeks ago for the first time and I don't think I would send someone there for "pretty sights". The slowdown in the economy has not been kind, esp. to Roslyn...so much is boarded up and out of business. I was saddened at how run down everything seemed but maybe it's because we got there ahead of the summer season? Once you get to the Pass and just beyond Exit 54, I think you have seen the great stuff. Personally I think just a drive up to Snoqualmie Falls (so get on I-5 north from the airport and just before downtown, head out east on I-90 and exit at 25 to Sno Falls) is great for promixity and sights. You could then drive on either 203 or 202 through some smaller towns like North Bend/Carnation/Fall City which gives you a really good mountain flavor and great views from the Valley provided it's clear. I just cycled out there Monday and it was heavenly...could see Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker. You could take 202 back into Redmond and stay at the Redmond Inn or like suggested above, the Holiday Inn off of I-90 in Issaquah would be great. You could grab some great Asian food in downtown Issaquah (either Mandarin Garden or Shanghai Garden). In North Bend, the North Bend Bar and Grill is great or as someone mentioned, if you were a Twin Peaks fan, you could eat at Twedes. I much prefer the food at NBBG! Another pretty drive is up to the Woodinville area after having come around on the East side of Lake Sammamish. Head up to "wine country" and grab at quick taste at Chateau St. Michele or a beer at Red Hook Brewery for a different kind of countryside. Both are pretty drives. Have fun!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:15 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
I will add that the Leavenworth drive is great but you don't have enough time!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:31 PM

Ok the I-90 route is sounding good, but I was thinking we could drive a good 3 hours each way. Where might that get us???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area