Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 PM

25 posts, read 143,219 times

Advertisements

we are thinking about relocating from phoenix. we have two dogs and we wonder if wa has a lot of flees, tics and mosquitoes? not something we've ever had to really deal with in arizona. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,226,083 times
Fleas happen here, almost no mosquitoes, and no ticks to speak of.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:03 PM

854 posts, read 4,129,254 times
Mostly second Ira. We've had no flea problems with our dog here, but that's just luck. I've read that ticks prefer Eastern Washington to Western Washington; I haven't seen any. Mosquitoes I do see, but they are not as vicious as in the South. They're almost annoying enough at times to consider getting some sort of outdoor mosquito-driving-away-system, but not annoying enough to actually DO it.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:59 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,743,984 times
I was around shrubs and thickets all day yesterday and I didn't have to do a tick check when I got home! It was heavenly.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:20 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,047,446 times
I've seen about two mosquitoes in 20 years. Fleas on friends' animals sometimes, the animals who don't wear flea collars I guess. No ticks.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,650,325 times
I've lived for the past 18 years about half way between Seattle and the Canadian border. I live in a lake community which is common, surrounded by a 185 acre tree farm in my back yard and a state park down the street. Here is the bug countdown

Lots of spiders. Most don't bite or have poision. I leave them alone because they eat flying insects. However in the winter they try to move into your house and you have to keep after them or you will be living in Cobweb city. In the summer, it is humid. You have to be very careful not to leave any containers in your yard that may hold standing water because it will breed mosquitos. Where I live, due to the lakes, the mosquito problem may be worse than in some areas. I am a person who is just the right flavor for biting bugs, so I don't fare very well in the summer, however it helps to take a garlic supplement because they don't like that flavor. I have lost most of my pets to old age, but when I moved here from California I had 3 dogs and 2 cats. Advantage fights the fleas but it costs 50 bucks for 4 months per animal and you can't use it on the old guys, I have only seen one or two ticks in 18 years. Having lived the first 40 years of my life in LA, CA. the best thing is NO COCKROACHES. I have never seen a bug in my house and I am not the world's best housekeeper.
A bigger problem in the rural areas would be gophers, moles, mountain beavers, squirrles, possoms, chipmonks and mice. Houses are built on raised foundations not slabs and some of these cittters like to dig under the foundation and spend the winter. Frequently, I hear them scratching at the bottom of the wall framing. They can't get in and they don't do any damage, but it can be creepy.
Here is a very important thing to consider about your dogs. If they are outdoor dogs you cannot just leave them out in the yard. The first year I came here in 1992 it rained every single day from Feb to July 4. You have to consider an inside space for your animals to get out of the rain. Also, if you have big dogs like I did, it is very difficult to clean up after them because the rain softens the stools and you can't pick them up.
You know what is funny? I am thinking about moving from here to Phoenix. I have concerns about allergies. Maybe we could trade places to experiment.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 AM

25 posts, read 143,219 times
thanks for the responses! oh, and i meant flea's not flee's. and tick, not tic. brain fart!
yukiko, thanks for your post. our dogs are inside dogs. they are let outdoors and quickly come back in to be with the family. they like to run and romp outside but they are labs and need CONSTANT loving and petting.
about the allergies...my husband has horrible allergies but never had them until we moved to phoenix.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:13 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
How come nobody has mentioned slugs?

Slug: Snail without a shell, basically, but they are red.

I remember going for morning bike rides as a kid (Everett area) and always had to slalom around them. They are DISGUSTING.

Western WA does have its share of spiders as well, as others have mentioned.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM

Location: i liv in a town, on the world..lol.. wat about evry1 else?? hehe
42 posts, read 89,466 times
this is soooo great to know!!! i'm a teen but i love the rain and i'm thinkin of moving to seattle( o at least i little town near), once i'm able to to move!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 PM

Location: i liv in a town, on the world..lol.. wat about evry1 else?? hehe
42 posts, read 89,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
How come nobody has mentioned slugs?

Slug: Snail without a shell, basically, but they are red.

I remember going for morning bike rides as a kid (Everett area) and always had to slalom around them. They are DISGUSTING.

Western WA does have its share of spiders as well, as others have mentioned.

How many spiders are you all talking about??? i can't stand spiders!! i'm terrified of them!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: