Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,033,652 times

Advertisements

Oh I didn't mean that it should factor into your decision re: the spiders. I mean you can have a pest guy come out and deal with it - and it's over... BUT, I am just warning... when you think house spiders, you might think something other than what it is... and their hatching out season (end of summer, beginning of fall) is VERY busy... with plenty around...

I'm with 'rocco on the food - you will find really good choices there, for all types of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 11:17 AM

388 posts, read 1,781,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
...... Asian food is particularly good there, IMO. The recent infusion of the large east Indian population because of the tech situation has produced some excellent opportunities for Indian food. But Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. are especially good, IMO. I miss it greatly for the area that I relocated to is sorely lacking in Asian cuisine. And there's no Uwajimaya where I am now!!! *appears really frustrated*
Tell me about it!

One of the problems in moving to north central AR was the lack of numerous Asian restaurants. We head south every couple of weeks for major shopping and I've been able to find a decent Sushi bar or two and a pretty good Korean restaurant so far, and more to follow.

One of the places you might try (if you're close) is in the vicinity of Nellis AFB on the north side of LV. Military people often acquire tastes for foreign cuisine at a rapid rate and you can find places that cater to those tastes fairly close to bases. Many are run by foreign born wives of military people and fall in the category of 5 or 6 table regional cooking places, you'll have to explore, but it's half the fun. (I started my search in the vicinity of Little Rock AFB, and questioned other patrons about possible alternative places).

Old 04-05-2007, 11:45 AM

523 posts, read 2,898,851 times
I think that the availability of good food makes up for the the big spiders...I wouldn't say I have arachnophobia per se but I guess it depends how big these spiders really are! And anything in swarms is a problem. How serious is the indoor spider problem, really? I lived in someone's walk-out basement for a few months last year and spiders, centipedes, and potato bugs were constant. The potato bugs didn't bother me but the other bugs definitely did. If I didn't spray every couple of weeks and vacuum, they would be everywhere. When I first moved in, it had been vacant for about 3 weeks and there was a huge web of spiders even in the kitchen sink! These were small spiders, though. If there had been this many large spiders around, I wouldn't even have moved in. Please tell me it's not quite this bad!

Old 04-05-2007, 12:00 PM

Ok, blunt honesty as I know it from my personal house... a million people may come here and say, "Not true! Not true!!" but these people don't live in my old house there...

So, it's manageable until hatching out season. Hatching out season is BY FAR the worst. Also, if you live in a surburban area - get pest control. The "problem" was much better after we had people come out and spray once a month... but we still had stuff in our house.

We lived in an older neighborhood of homes that were about 23ish yrs old. That could be part of the issue - I don't know. We also had HUUUGE cedar trees all around us - like over 50 ft tall. It was suburban, but leaned towards woodsy...

I heard on the news there that spiders that you find in your house, were actually hatched there and had never lived outside - that spiders rarely come in and those let into the "wild" from the home, rarely live because they aren't used to the environment...

Anyway...

During hatching out season, I have seen little families of like 20 or so spiraling down their webs as babies, from a recessed light fixture, all at one time. Creepy.

I have seen spiders the size of golf balls (not including leg length) in my bath tub, several times a year - they seem to love the bathroom.

On the front porch, and under rockery, gardening etc - are a constant...

Let me try and find a picture of what they look like....

Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 PM

This spider, a wolf spider, is by far the most common you will see...

http://www.timart.be/Npaginas/foto/wolf_spider.jpg (broken link)

Here is a brown recluse spider. This is in the WA area. I have seen these before. I think these are dangerous. (I could be wrong). They are pretty rare, I think.

http://tonova.typepad.com/photos/unc...nrecluse_1.jpg

http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/Que...0in%20shoe.jpg

Old 04-05-2007, 12:26 PM

523 posts, read 2,898,851 times
Ugh--spiders that look like those are pretty freaking nasty! Hmm, I guess if I move to Seattle and rent an apartment, I will need to find a really new place that is 10 stories up with no big trees nearby. After all this spider talk, I'm probably going to have dreams about spiders hatching!

Old 04-05-2007, 12:50 PM

223 posts, read 1,271,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
Ugh--spiders that look like those are pretty freaking nasty! Hmm, I guess if I move to Seattle and rent an apartment, I will need to find a really new place that is 10 stories up with no big trees nearby. After all this spider talk, I'm probably going to have dreams about spiders hatching!
The post above is very misleading and primarily untrue.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:29 PM

388 posts, read 1,781,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I have seen spiders the size of golf balls (not including leg length) .....

*uncontrollable laughter*

European or American golf balls? (golfers will get it)

I love this forum just because it makes me laugh.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:44 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,669,807 times
There are spiders here? I've never had any problem with spiders at all - nor seen many!

Old 04-05-2007, 02:25 PM

Like I said....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: