Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 PM

21 posts, read 80,248 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are on the list to move to Seattle as well. We're from San Diego and are sick of it. It's a decent place to live, but we've never really felt any connection to the city. We were either going to NYC or Seattle. Seattle is a breath of fresh air. What do you think of the Ballard and Fremont areas? We have a newborn and like the urban/artsy vibe that is supposedly there. We've lived in the downtown San Diego, North Park and Hillcrest area. Does anyone know anything about these prospective areas (Ballard and Fremont)?

Last edited by got_rain?; 06-18-2008 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 01:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Okay

you have a newborn correct? Are you buying or renting? I'd rent first to see where you like - AND (this is big) will your child be going to school in that area?? Like are you planning on staying a while?

My husband lived in Fremont before we bought out house - it's fun and kitchy and I loved it. Ballard has more homes, and a good elementary school, Whittier.

I just mention things because I used to live in a kitchy area before moving to Seattle (I'm from Calif too) and now with an elementary school child the Seattle School system does not compare to the suburbs educations. I've come to realize that if I want the best for my child that I must bend and go towards the suburbs if I want them to have a stellar public education. Most of our friends with children in the Seattle area put them into private schools.

BTW - We are moving back to Calif.

I'd vote for NYC

Old 06-18-2008, 01:33 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Well, from what I hear about NYC, private school is a must too... and if you aren't already on a list for that....

Old 06-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Thanks for your responses. We will rent first. My wife wants to put my daughter in private school, but I always have a back-up plan. Public schools are always iffy unless you live in a nice, suburban area. We eventually want to live downtown, but that depends on my work location. Back to Cali, eh?

Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
We moved here from San Diego (Carmel Mountain Ranch) last year and can't wait to move back. We have an 8 month old son, and I wasn't interested in living anywhere near downtown with him. Maybe if we didn't have children.

We like to go to Fremont to eat occasionally, and while it's cute and kitschy, it strikes me as sort of dirty, too. It doesn't seem as family friendly as Hillcrest, but we don't spend significant amounts of time there.

If I were going to live anywhere near downtown, I'd live in Wallingford. It seems more family-friendly to me.

V. =)

Old 06-18-2008, 02:23 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I used to live in Fremont, and I'm very familiar with Ballard. Both neighborhoods have changed a lot in recent years and are now considered more desirable. They're both pretty walkable and have vibrant retail districts and good places to eat. It seems that Fremont has a Thai restaurant practically every other door...Fremont is still pretty artsy, and both neighborhoods have seen a lot of new housing, a lot of "infill" townhouses on tiny lots.
So the changes have kind of been a tradeoff...There is lots more to do in both neighborhoods, and they are generally cleaner than they were, but there is less space.
Any reason in particular why you are interested in Ballard or Fremont?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:28 PM

We're interested in these areas from discussions we've had from people who have lived in Seattle and are familiar with the neighborhoods we've lived in while being in S.D. The walkable-artsy type of areas are ones we desire. We like the urban life, minus the crime. Both have decent reputations.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
We moved here from San Diego (Carmel Mountain Ranch) last year and can't wait to move back. We have an 8 month old son, and I wasn't interested in living anywhere near downtown with him. Maybe if we didn't have children.

We like to go to Fremont to eat occasionally, and while it's cute and kitschy, it strikes me as sort of dirty, too. It doesn't seem as family friendly as Hillcrest, but we don't spend significant amounts of time there.

If I were going to live anywhere near downtown, I'd live in Wallingford. It seems more family-friendly to me.

V. =)
Wow. You're really not into Seattle then huh? Anything we should know?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by got_rain? View Post
Wow. You're really not into Seattle then huh? Anything we should know?
We're Californians - the weather here really beats us up (I'm orginally from Santa Monica)

Old 06-18-2008, 03:25 PM

Yeah, I hear you. My wife loves the sunshine, but the payoff isn't there anymore. S.D. is nothing like Santa Monica. Santa Monica has a culture, it seems S.D. is still looking for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area