Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:41 PM

9 posts, read 23,743 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife and I are considering moving from HK to the US, possibly within this year. We previously lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and are quite familiar with its culture/surroundings, etc. While I liked a lot of things in Texas, the Summer heat was just unbearable. After reading on this forum, seems like Seattle might be a good place for us.

My biggest concern is the current and near-term job market in the Seattle area. How is it like for software programmers? I am quite familiar with Java EE and a few popular open source frameworks. I can comfortably develop small to mid. scale web applications end-to-end. Recently I've also started venturing into iPhone development as a hobby. I know there is Microsoft, but I'm on "the other side" when it comes to software technologies (Java/OpenSource/Linux), so I'm afraid Microsoft won't be a good fit. Actually having MS so physically close by might send chills up my spine. :P

So is it currently tough to find a Java programming job in the Seattle area? Will I be able to afford the high cost of living that I've been reading about? We have no kids yet, but my wife won't be working, at least not for the first year or so. I've been away from the US since 2001. Do US companies value overseas work experiences?
Any pointers on which area to rent an apartment for the initial settling down?

Moving from across the global can be so exciting and scary at the same time especially when I don't already have a job lined-up. Btw, I'm US citizen, so no problem with visas and stuff.

Any comments or advices highly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:37 PM

145 posts, read 644,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdogb View Post
Hi all,
My wife and I are considering moving from HK to the US, possibly within this year. We previously lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and are quite familiar with its culture/surroundings, etc. While I liked a lot of things in Texas, the Summer heat was just unbearable. After reading on this forum, seems like Seattle might be a good place for us.

My biggest concern is the current and near-term job market in the Seattle area. How is it like for software programmers? I am quite familiar with Java EE and a few popular open source frameworks. I can comfortably develop small to mid. scale web applications end-to-end. Recently I've also started venturing into iPhone development as a hobby. I know there is Microsoft, but I'm on "the other side" when it comes to software technologies (Java/OpenSource/Linux), so I'm afraid Microsoft won't be a good fit. Actually having MS so physically close by might send chills up my spine. :P

So is it currently tough to find a Java programming job in the Seattle area? Will I be able to afford the high cost of living that I've been reading about? We have no kids yet, but my wife won't be working, at least not for the first year or so. I've been away from the US since 2001. Do US companies value overseas work experiences?
Any pointers on which area to rent an apartment for the initial settling down?

Moving from across the global can be so exciting and scary at the same time especially when I don't already have a job lined-up. Btw, I'm US citizen, so no problem with visas and stuff.

Any comments or advices highly appreciated!

Seattle is probably the only area in the world where there are more c#/VB programming jobs than Java. However, a quick dice.com search will tell you they are about even. Sad for MS, I know....being it's their backyard an all.

COL should be a lot less than HK.

apartments.com and apartmentguide.com should guide you for a place to stay.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:49 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,337,043 times
Any work experience overseas will only be valued by USA companies. In the post-global economy, such experience is desired by large corporations to guide them ... so you may be able to land a managerial job if you wanted to.

As for Java programming and alternatives to MS, there's places hiring but MS is laying off, so you will have competition from some of the more flexible programmers who are well versed in a lot of stuff. MS just announced 1,200 more layoffs to the local area, so the area will likely be saturated with people...

Old 05-12-2009, 12:18 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,524,382 times
Just wondered if you looked at any of the postings at Amazon.com? My husband works there and they are hiring. We moved here from TX almost two years ago (lived in DFW 2 years and Austin for almost 10) and like it very much. Very different experience though from TX!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:06 PM

327 posts, read 961,769 times
I would second looking into Amazon.com. They're all about Java. I currently work at MS doing C++ development, so I no longer get to play with Java, and I can definitely concur that there's a whole lot of C#/.NET tech jobs in this area as a result of the MS tech influence.

I would also look into Boeing. Next to Microsoft, Boeing is probably the second largest employer of software engineers in the area. Most of the new stuff being developed at Boeing is in Java. If you're a US citizen and can obtain a security clearance, Boeing is a really stable place to work for...if they can actually land some new defense contract work. The well is getting dry.

However, I would try and get a job that will pay for your relocation, although it will probably be tough in this economy.

And...yes...Seattle is every bit expensive as people make it out to be. I can barely afford the median home in this city on my income, but if I took my salary to Dallas I'd live like a king.

Amazon will be your best bet....

Old 05-12-2009, 10:48 PM

145 posts, read 644,493 times
Once upon a time i was given the link below by a fellow CDer(thx, jenni!), though i'm not sure how valid it is now.

eConsultant - Seattle Hi-Tech Companies List

Old 05-13-2009, 06:19 PM

129 posts, read 493,063 times
I really don't get why people keep saying Seattle cost of living is high. I always thought it was very low.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM

9 posts, read 23,743 times
Thanks for all the replies so far.
I guess Seattle COL is low compared to Hong Kong's. :P

Boeing looks interesting, I worked for a major defense contractor when I was in Dallas. So that might help?

Actually I don't know if I should rule out DFW completely. I really liked the southern hospitality (even to an Asian), there should be just as many programming jobs available if not more. Low COL, should be able to live comfortably and save more money even with adjusted salary. Plus I still have friends/contacts there.
I've read many people moved to TX from the coasts for jobs. So may be I should just learn to put up with the Summer heat (again!).

Old 05-27-2009, 04:13 AM

132 posts, read 340,377 times
Are you citizen?

It would not be easy to find a H1B sponsor nowadays, so get a job in TX first and transfer somewhere else (Seattle / Bay) would make sense.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:12 PM

300 posts, read 1,209,536 times
Moved from Dallas to Seattle last year. Software to software job switch.

There are major software employers in Dallas also laying off folks (telecom, consulting, etc.)

Software is more of a sub-economy unto itself. It doesn't really matter all that much where you physically exist, especially for larger employers, as long as you can log in and do your job. You may think the summers were hot, and you won't have to deal with that here at all (summers here are awesome), but the number of cloudy days a year here is more than double what you will find in Dallas. If that bothers you, then you may be trading one problem for another.

Yes, we do get sun breaks every now and then during the winter, but if you're in an office building during the day it doesn't much matter. It's like the tree in the woods: if it was sunny outside for the hours of the day that you are inside staring at a monitor, was it really sunny? No.

Cost of living in Seattle, especially for things like food and housing is considerably higher than Dallas. BUT there are a ton of benefits if you like the outdoors, and have time to explore the area both inside and out. Many, many things that you can do here that you just can't get in Dallas.

I can eat, sleep, watch TV, go shopping, drive around, meet people, etc. in either place. I can't jump in my car and be on the Sound in 20 minutes. I can't go to two separate national parks in under 90 minutes. Etc.

The only thing so far that I just have not found an adequate replacement for in Seattle from Dallas is a place that has decent Mexican food. I'm soon only going to take recommendations from people who have lived in Texas for more than 5 years as to what a 'good place for Mexican' is in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area