Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:12 PM

479 posts, read 2,224,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaMJ View Post
Where do kids go to high school if they live in Magnolia? I checked out the info and clusters on the Seattle school website but there is no high school listed. Thanks.
Pretty sure they go to Ballard High School, or at least they used to.

Anyway, I really like Magnolia. Seems like a quiet, family friendly place. My favorite area is near the downtown shops and park. I personally like Magnolia better than Queen Anne, but it is just my opinion. I also like Bryant, Wedgewood, Green Lake, Laurelhurst and View Ridge. For me, it would ultimately come down to the particular house and street because there are multiple areas within N. Seattle that could work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,571 times
Default Anecdotally,

the 'low crime' angle for Magnolia should be taken with a grain of salt.

I have a few friends who live there, and two of them have had their cars broken into right in front of their houses in the past couple of months.

To be sure, this isn't violent crime, but be wary of isolated neighborhoods in the city.

I think it's a great neighborhood if you work downtown, but you are indeed an awfully long way from the freeways. Very family-friendly.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 PM

93 posts, read 307,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaMJ View Post
Where do kids go to high school if they live in Magnolia? I checked out the info and clusters on the Seattle school website but there is no high school listed. Thanks.
I grew up in Magnolia, so I can answer this question for you,

Most go to Ballard High School, or the Center School, I however was placed in private school, and regret that decision since all my friends went to Ballard

My freshman year of HS, they told me to go to W Seattle HS, because I didn't live close enough to Ballard (I lived as far west as you can possibly go).

Any further questions, pm me

Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,107 times
Default Magnolia redefined...

I've lived in Magnolia for 6 years; before that in Ballard, Laurelhurst, and Queen Anne. All nice areas with different characters. You should consider Magnolia to basically start on 24th Avenue West, anything east really is Interbay. Interbay extends east to about 11th Avenue W., so it's also part of Queen Anne. Interbay is a district centered on 15th Avenue West and includes a capped landfill (now golf course/driving range), the Burlington Northern Railroad trunk line, and the Port of Seattle's Pier 91. So it's a southern extension of Seattle's northern industrial corridor. Interbay has improved over the 20 years I've lived here, but it's still is pretty distinct from Magnolia proper. Not something you would lump together with two of the better areas in town.
Other than many spectacular views, the predominance custom homes, the characteristic manicured landscapes, wider city streets, good parking, and friendly people, Magnolia tends to be a self-contained community...and pretty "mono-chromatic". So it could definitely benefit from more in-migration of the city's other diverse populations. The single biggest detraction is it's physical isolation - we call it "Mongolia". However, if you work or dine downtown, or need to go to the airport, then it's very conveniently located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area