Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How gay is Seattle?
As gay as San Fransisco Bay or more so. 18 18.56%
Mostly gay friendly, socially liberal, and no tension. 50 51.55%
People just stick to themselves/mind their own business. 25 25.77%
Obvious tension, disharmony, and gay disapproval. 4 4.12%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:42 AM

19 posts, read 24,973 times

Advertisements

Well, I can't speak with any authority on the matter seeing as I am straight, cis...but Seattle seems to be very accepting of alter- sexual and gender identities. It seems very normal. You just learn to say partner or spouse instead of wife or boyfriend and assume nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:19 PM

75 posts, read 89,699 times
I live in Seattle and I proudly own the movie "The Birdcage" on dvd. Haha.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:06 AM

545 posts, read 411,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modc View Post
I live in the suburbs and am pleasantly surprised that there there are so many gay people working and living here. It's nice that the suburbs here seem to be getting more diverse.
That's because no normal people can afford to live in the central city anymore.

By "normal" I mean = not a gadzillionaire.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:22 PM

9 posts, read 6,635 times
Well im gay and planning on moving to the Seattle area soon... I currently live in Miami so you'd guess here it's a pretty gay-oriented city and yes it is. Specially South Beach. However, i don't like it here and im willing to risk that for Seattle. I also love San Fran, very gay-oriented but i heard it's too expensive so i dunno...

Old 08-09-2017, 03:11 PM

440 posts, read 517,218 times
Default Hard to Flaunt In Seattle Weather

Living in South Florida in the Wilton Manors area, which has one of the highest percentages of Gays per capita in the U.S., and having lived in Seattle, I'd say that one of the reasons that Gays don't really flaunt themselves in Seattle is due to the weather and the different social atmosphere that generally exists in Seattle.

It's a bit difficult for Gays who wish to do so to go around in a leather harness with no shirt on walking from club to club or running around in a rainbow colored short shorts, bathing suit or your underwear showing off your necklace collection and all your Gay themed tattoos on a bare chest in 40 to 50 degree winter weather in Seattle than it is here in South Florida where the temperatures rarely drop that low.

Also, I've heard over and over again from people who I know who have visited Seattle and I witnessed this there myself when I lived there, that the general type of people who live in the Northwest are not of the "in your face" variety as we have here on the East Coast.

People here love to show their wealth, advertise their country of origin on bumper stickers and flags on their motor vehicles and homes and are generally loud.

I didn't witness people walking around the streets in Seattle in brightly colored Versace Couture clothing or knock-offs wearing 10 pounds of gold jewelry after getting out of a motor vehicles festooned with flags or bumper stickers from Cuba, Puerto Rico, etc., and sitting in restaurants and cafe's speaking in voices so loud you that you have to try to read the lips of your dining partner as you can't hear what they are saying because of the loud voices at a nearby table which may sound like there is a heated argument going on when they may just be discussing the weather.

Although population statistics place a lot of Gay people living in Seattle, as in many northern cities where people wear layers of clothing most of the year, Gay or Straight, Gays just don't tend to be as showy as people who live in some of the warmer climates of the U.S. so it's just going to be harder to "pick" out people who are Gay who aren't advertising it in some way on their body. You also won't find, because of what seems to me a more prevalent use of manners in Seattle than what I find here, someone broadcasting their private affairs loudly in a public place that helps others around them identify them as Gay or Straight.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:54 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
I'm not gay but that was a great post. You nailed it, HotandHumid. I'm a Miami boy living in Seattle 28 years now and I don't miss the "bling showiness" of Miami. Sure is fun to visit, though.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:09 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times
HotAndHumid - man, I have never heard the East Coast gay vs. the Seattle gay mannerisms explained in the way you did above, anywhere, by anyone. You speak as someone who has witnessed gays from both areas, and there is an authenticism to your words that prevent the Geraldo Rivera or Bab-waa Waa-Waa on the street from jumping in and disagreeing with you. I wouldn't try to - you know your stuff. Excellent - the more clarity we get around this joint, the better.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:36 AM

361 posts, read 398,103 times
To me, Seattle is the San Fran of the Pacific Northwest.

Not many though, in the suburban areas where I live. It seems more conservative around Pierce County area. However, what was a cultural shock to me was the high number of trans-sexual/sex change people I see shopping at malls. Most of them, odd though, tend to be males who switched over to females. I have not encountered any female to male trans-sexual people.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:46 AM

765 posts, read 898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
To me, Seattle is the San Fran of the Pacific Northwest.

Not many though, in the suburban areas where I live. It seems more conservative around Pierce County area. However, what was a cultural shock to me was the high number of trans-sexual/sex change people I see shopping at malls. Most of them, odd though, tend to be males who switched over to females. I have not encountered any female to male trans-sexual people.
What part of pierce county? I could see some of the farther out suburbs, Lakewood, Parkland, South Hill being more conservative? Tacoma is a very progressive and LGBTQ+ friendly city though. There were so many events for pride week, and the city has a very gay friendly vibe. As someone who is gay and has lived in Tacoma most of my life, I think there's a lot going on for the community here. It could use some more venues though, as of now there are only two gay clubs.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:23 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
Seattle is gay-friendly, but not overtly so. There are plenty of straight people in Seattle, in fact they are still the majority according to all reports. The main point is that Seattle is accepting of the gay community. This is the most important point of what Seattle is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area