U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 PM

125 posts, read 419,171 times
Default People who have moved to Seattle in the past couple of years, how's the weather?

I've already read about 20 or so 'Seattle weather threads' on the subject, and the consensus I've gathered is that 9 months out of the year Seattle is mostly overcast, grey, with a light 'mizzle'. I've considered looking for a new job there as I've had to expand my search area in this weak economy.
So Seattle is a place I've considered.

Aside from the weather, Seattle seems to have a lot going for it, beautiful mountains, hills, culture, etc. But I just can't get past the 'gray' factor that I keep hearing about over and over again. For me, it's a big concern. I HATE gray weather. I lived in Nebraska prior to living in Florida, and I thought Nebraska had WAY too much of the gray depressing skies. It sounds like Seattle has a lot more. Gray skies tend to get me down after only a couple of days, and really zap my energy. I have a lot more energy and optimism when it's bright and sunny.

I'm not here to bash on Seattle or anything, from the pictures I've seen it looks like a beautiful place to live, so please don't anyone get defensive.

I'm curious to know what people who have recently moved to Seattle think about all this? Good and Bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 06:49 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,866,856 times
Well, I'm not a person who just moved to Seattle, but I do have some thoughts.

If you were born and raised in Seattle, as I was, the cloudy, wet weather is natural and is not bothersome. (Atleast for most). When I moved away, I actually missed it!

With that having been said, those who are used to sunnier climes tend to have more difficulty. Let's face it, people have different weather "tolerance". Example, I can't function in high humidity.

Seattle is one of the most beautiful cities on earth...on a clear, sunny day. Seattle is not one of the most beautiful cities on earth on a cloudy, drizzly day. I think that may sum it up.

Last edited by pw72; 06-17-2009 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 PM

965 posts, read 3,239,344 times
I love the rain also. Like this week it is 60's and rainy ALL week! (NJ) I LOVE IT!
The question should be, can we take the rain for 2-3 months in a row with only a few days of sunshine in between? Year after year after year after year after year .................................................. .........................

Old 06-17-2009, 08:34 PM

524 posts, read 1,735,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I love the rain also. Like this week it is 60's and rainy ALL week! (NJ) I LOVE IT!
The question should be, can we take the rain for 2-3 months in a row with only a few days of sunshine in between? Year after year after year after year after year .................................................. .........................
Funny thing is is that a the years go by, I notice those long wet winters less. We have been here 3 years and are probably acclimated to the weather now. Also, this past winter was way shorter and way more sunny! Once you get here and get a life so to speak the weather somehwhat becomes obsolete.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 PM

857 posts, read 2,497,347 times
I LOVE the weather here. Especially after two decades in the South, the relief of not sliding into a puddle of your own sweat in June is wonderful. I think the gray-factor is overblown, but there's definitely a HUGE difference between this year and last -- this June has been sunny and warm, last June was gray and cool.

My husband? Not such a fan of the weather here. He thinks it's gray and rainy from october to may and he doesn't like it. There IS more gray and mizzly weather in the fall, winter, and spring. It's not non-stop -- you'll get a few sunny days -- but it might be 5 grayish days, 2 sunny days, then 5 more gray days.

"I HATE gray weather. ...I thought Nebraska had WAY too much of the gray depressing skies" -- you will probably not like the winters here. Yes, the scenery is STUNNING, the temperatures mild, the climate liberal, the stuff to enjoy is amazing. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to miss it. But if you actively hate gray skies? Already? This probably isn't the place to be unless you've got a very easy escape planned after the first year.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,942,897 times
I moved to Seattle recently. I grew up in upstate NY, where its also grey and cold like Nebraska. But I didn't mind it then. Moved South, but thought it was too hot and sunny. I'm a huge fan of the moderate temperatures in WA. I've been outside pretty much constantly since March.

If you can't handle gray skies, winter is going to be really tough on you, and you're gonna hate it. It can be grey for multiple days in a row. If you like the almost year round tropical sunny skies of Florida, Seattle isn't gonna fly.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:00 PM

309 posts, read 472,042 times
mod cut:

As to the weather, if one really dislikes gray days, winters will be miserable, especially because of the short days. I know several people that suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Winter here is a struggle for them. You may want to reconsider if sun is real important to you..

Last edited by scirocco22; 06-18-2009 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: comment orphaned ...post referred to has been removed.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,381,817 times
If you hate gray, Seattle is just not the right place for you. It's not overcast every day, but between October-May, a good 3/4 of the days are going to be at least mostly-cloudy. Some years are worse than others. Last year the wet gray weather persisted through June, this year we have had sun and warm weather since the beginning of May.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM

145 posts, read 383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
If you hate gray, Seattle is just not the right place for you. It's not overcast every day, but between October-May, a good 3/4 of the days are going to be at least mostly-cloudy. Some years are worse than others. Last year the wet gray weather persisted through June, this year we have had sun and warm weather since the beginning of May.

I'll second that. OP, if you 'hate' gray, then it's really not the place for you if that is really such a big deal. I 'hate' the sun probably the same way you dislike the gray, and it's a big enough deal to me that I don't want to live in the sunbelt...at least not permanently. You may come to a smiliar conclusion about the PNW if you move up there, so be prepared for a change of plans (again) like another poster said.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 PM

178 posts, read 400,057 times
I moved to Seattle from Los Angeles a decade ago. The weather here is definitely much more to my liking but the summers are still too hot. Ideally, I guess I'd have to move to Canada (Vancouver BC) for my ideal air-conditioning free summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area