Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:43 PM

228 posts, read 687,057 times

Advertisements

I asked about what the dress code is like in Seattle, and it seems to be pretty relaxed for the most part. I was also wondering about what the general feeling toward visible tattoos in the work place is in Seattle? Is it as much of a taboo as it is here in the Cleveland area, or does it follow the trend of the dress code?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,595 times
It's impossible to answer this question without more information.

In a purely social sense, tattoos are probably far more tolerated than in Cleveland. However, that does not always translate neatly to the business arena. In fact, even within the same company (e.g. Microsoft), body modifications can be greatly tolerated in one group and not at all tolerated in the next.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:45 PM

191 posts, read 560,043 times
In my office, all tats need to be covered. Lip, nose & tongue rings are not allowed.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 37,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherman View Post
In my office, all tats need to be covered. Lip, nose & tongue rings are not allowed.
Same here (working for city government). Keep 'em covered and take out the jewelry.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 AM

854 posts, read 4,140,829 times
I have a friend with a tongue ring that has no problems she's ever mentioned with it. She works downtown Bellevue. I see her at lunch, and it's in.

I see a lot of nose rings on people from India, but I have no idea if they wear them to work or not. One I see often picking her kid up at daycare does not have her nose ring on in the afternoons, but I've seen weekend pictures with it in, so I suspect it comes out just for work.

I don't know of any office place that's OK with visible tats above a certain pay grade. Sometimes clothing shifts and you get a glimpse of a tramp stamp or, in the case of a harley-riding breast-cancer survivor now working as an accounting software consultant, an upper body that's nothing BUT tattoo, but usually it's all covered by a simple short-sleeved shirt and regular pants. But if you're packing boxes in a warehouse? Probably nobody's gonna care.

Seriously, the tramp stamp is just a terrible idea. Who takes you seriously after seeing that?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 AM

187 posts, read 576,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
I asked about what the dress code is like in Seattle, and it seems to be pretty relaxed for the most part. I was also wondering about what the general feeling toward visible tattoos in the work place is in Seattle? Is it as much of a taboo as it is here in the Cleveland area, or does it follow the trend of the dress code?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Joe
Depends on where you work. Coffee shops, boutiques, bartenders, hip restaurants, etc will be fine. I work for a small web design and development firm (about 20 employees) and no one cares if you have tats or piercings.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:07 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor80 View Post
Depends on where you work. Coffee shops, boutiques, bartenders, hip restaurants, etc will be fine. I work for a small web design and development firm (about 20 employees) and no one cares if you have tats or piercings.

All high end careers there......

Old 06-22-2009, 04:38 PM

187 posts, read 576,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
All high end careers there......
That was my point. Most high-end "corporate" jobs, of course, will have a "cover the tattoos" type policy. Although, I have a feeling that they wouldn't necessarily *care* if you had them, just that you would have to cover them while at work. I.e. - they wouldn't discriminate based on the amount of ink one's skin. Of course this is pure speculation as I've never worked for any "big company" and probably never will. I'm very picky about my work atmosphere and culture.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:43 PM

228 posts, read 687,057 times
Quote:
Quote:
That was my point. Most high-end "corporate" jobs, of course, will have a "cover the tattoos" type policy. Although, I have a feeling that they wouldn't necessarily *care* if you had them, just that you would have to cover them while at work. I.e. - they wouldn't discriminate based on the amount of ink one's skin. Of course this is pure speculation as I've never worked for any "big company" and probably never will. I'm very picky about my work atmosphere and culture.
It sounds like you work for the kind of company I dream on working for. I have a few tattoos. One of which is on my forearm, so I have to cover it by long sleeves at my current company. I guess I'm hoping for the kind of office where it's accepted. I think too many people get hung up on tattoos or piercings. There are bigger problems out there.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:27 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,027 times
I have visible tattoos that I wear with pride and I work in an office environment. Alot of my co-workers have them as well. Tattoos are not really a taboo in Seattle as the city is progressive and tolerant. I guess it's not the same way in the midwest and east coast. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with tattoos. It seems like everyone under 30 has them. They are not outside the mainstream at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area