U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM

1,938 posts, read 3,915,414 times

Advertisements

From JesseJB - I had a good laugh on the "Over 35- really tend to skew to the "anything goes" and "casual is better" way of dress" because it is so true!!

Having kids will do that to you. Making sure they are dressed in something takes all the time away from me doing anything more than Nike yoga pants, a hoodie and a Mariners cap! Oh darn, I guess I am wearing spandex!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:08 PM

8,251 posts, read 6,625,137 times
despite the fact that people dress down in seattle, that's still the style, and so there's definitely a unique consciousness to it that's different from dressing down in other cities. don't be under the impression that because jeans and a t-shirt under a plaid or spandex with a hoodie is accessible that you can dress like a bum! i saw this frequently enough. it's tough to understand till you get there.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 PM

745 posts, read 989,737 times
man that first link JesseJB posted was aweful...I really hope that not everyone dresses like that. only for the fact that i'll be a total outkast haha

Old 08-25-2010, 11:37 PM

225 posts, read 353,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
man that first link JesseJB posted was aweful...I really hope that not everyone dresses like that. only for the fact that i'll be a total outkast haha
Doubtful. That looks like some of the people walking around Capital Hill. Not everyone, just some. My bf does a doubletake when he sees those guys - calls them "roosterlegs," but that man-with-leggings look is probably the reaction to years of baggy butt guys. Eventually, those guys get office jobs, middle aged pouches, and families, and start dressing in REI gear ..... or not.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM

The third guy on that link is much more typical of a fashionable Seattlite. I can't post the pic because there's something that the filters interpret as a profane word in the address, but he looks pretty normal.

Outfits like this, though, are much less common:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5HpUXLigip...shion-Blog.jpg

If you were to see anyone dressed like that, as robineli said, they'd most likely be on Capitol Hill. Not a very pervasive way of dressing.

The only people I saw doing the full-on early 90's retro look were younger (18-22) gay dudes. My ex's best friend looked like he stepped out of a new jack swing video circa 1990, and so did his boyfriend...

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-26-2010 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 08-26-2010, 12:51 AM

402 posts, read 650,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The third guy on that link is much more typical of a fashionable Seattlite. I can't post the pic because there's something that the filters interpret as a profane word in the address, but he looks pretty normal.

Outfits like this, though, are much less common:

If you were to see anyone dressed like that, as robineli said, they'd most likely be on Capitol Hill. Not a very pervasive way of dressing.

The only people I saw doing the full-on early 90's retro look were younger (18-22) gay dudes. My ex's best friend looked like he stepped out of a new jack swing video circa 1990, and so did his boyfriend...
Yes, but isn't that the typical Seattle face?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
Yes, but isn't that the typical Seattle face?
Eh, the average Seattlite's face projects something more than "my IQ is in the high 70's."

Old 08-26-2010, 08:03 PM

124 posts, read 275,489 times
So...how do you new englanders and DC capitol hill types fare in seattle? where I am coming from the style is very conservative...lots of jcrew and banana republic ...styles along these lines....I feel like I am going to be looking like a tight wad. :/ I need a whole new wardrobe.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:13 PM

402 posts, read 650,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Eh, the average Seattlite's face projects something more than "my IQ is in the high 70's."
LOL I've always said, it's the man that makes the clothes, not the other way around. A look can say a thousand words, or in the case of that picture, just three: "my life sucks".

Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 AM

808 posts, read 1,392,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins View Post
So...how do you new englanders and DC capitol hill types fare in seattle? where I am coming from the style is very conservative...lots of jcrew and banana republic ...styles along these lines....I feel like I am going to be looking like a tight wad. :/ I need a whole new wardrobe.
Im a Seattle native and thats all I wear to work. Nothing wrong with JCrew even on the weekends, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area