Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:43 PM

246 posts, read 758,708 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Seattle for years now, and have grown to love it. It's a comfortable city with lots of unique neighborhoods and beautiful natural surroundings.

But everytime I go and visit friends and family in San Francisco, I'm struck by how much more bustling and vibrant it is than Seattle. I can't quite put my finger on it, but their is a certain 'street energy' missing in Seattle, even in the main entertainment districts like Capitol Hill (Broadway, Pike/Pine), Queen Anne, Fremont, and Downtown Ballard. Belltown on a Friday or Saturday night is as close as I've seen, but even there it pails in comparison. In a way actually, the Ave (U-District) on a really busy weekday has more of a bustle and vibrancy than anywhere else--although its not my favorite place to go.

I know Seattle is not as dense as some other cities, but I still don't think this provides a sufficient explanation. There are plenty of walkable neighborhoods with lots of people--why then is the street-vibe so underwhelming and tame?

This is one aspect of Seattle that I'm not crazy about. Wonder if the light rail will do anything to change it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
Having lived in or near many major cities (Chicago, LA, NY, SF, and now Seattle), and having visited both London and Paris occasionally, I agree that Seattle has sort of a subdued vibe. It's a nice city, with lots of natural beauty, and lots of things to do, but I always have found that it's just lacking the energy of other major cities.

I feel like other major cities there's a certain cohesion to the population that is not as tangible in Seattle. It seems to me that the populations of other cities are sort of like a giant living organism, coexisting together for a common purpose, that each person is a part of a greater being almost, but in Seattle, it feels very disconnected, like everyone has their own purpose and own mission, and they're not part of anything bigger than themselves.

Not sure if that makes sense, but that's the feeling I get.

When I go to major cities, I sort of feel part of something greater. Like I'm experiencing something with everyone around me, while in Seattle I feel sort of like I'm on my own. Of course the other cities I've lived in are more major than Seattle, but even a city like Denver (which I've visited on numerous occasions), which seems more on par with Seattle still seemed more vibrant and alive to me than Seattle does.

I don't know what it is, but Seattle does seem to be missing a certain vibe.

V. =)

Old 07-07-2009, 03:41 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
Thats because anything that would give the streets energy is shot down by the cranky Old Guard Seattlites and NIMBYs. Theres nothing "cool" going on because most of the city frowns upon excitement. For example, go find a band and tell them to start playing some rock and roll on some random corner like 1st and Pine or get a fifteen-deep group of breakdancers to start dancing in the bus tunnel like youd see in NYC and see how many people call the cops! Theres no one willing to contribute to bustle because they don't want to rock the boat and risk getting in trouble.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
It's impossible to top Veronika's eloquence, but there is one point that wasn't yet mentioned -- the time people spend gridlocked in their cars, or on the buses, and the gloomy skies. Even in the nice season, there is fog.

There are a LOT of nice parts of Seattle, but I won't miss it if we don't go back.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:51 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Count your blessings that you don't have the "street vibe" of SF.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 PM

204 posts, read 813,659 times
I agree w/JesseJB.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:51 PM

228 posts, read 686,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Count your blessings that you don't have the "street vibe" of SF.
SF street vibe?

Old 07-07-2009, 05:57 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
In comparison to SF and NYC Seattle is not bustling, but neither are most cities. I somewhat disagree that there isn't that vibrant feel; walk around the market or the shopping streets any day and their are tons of people out and about. I've been through Denver and it actually felt a lot more suburban and dull feeling to me. And then you have things like the Capitol Hill Block Party, the recent zombie world record thing in Fremont, the free concerts at Victor Steinbrueck park...I agree we can't compete with cities twice our size, but for me the vibrancy level is better than most other cities our size.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:34 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
For its size I think Seattle has a very vibrant feel...while cities much larger than Seattle such as Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and many others feel almost dead in comparision.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:38 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
I don't disagree with the OP, but I can't think of any western US city that's closer to SF's "vibe" than Seattle.

The downtown bustle, in particular, of Seattle has been affected by the loss of WaMu and other events, but then SF's financial district has taken big hits over the years as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: