Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:33 PM

15 posts, read 89,069 times

Advertisements

People always tell me about how expensive it is to live in seattle.

-I've checked the rent prices and it isn't bad at all.

So what expenses in seattle makes it so expensive to live in?

I just don't see it, maybe going out can be expensive, that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
I suppose it depends on where you are currently living. For someone from NYC, San Francisco, etc, Seattle might not be so expensive.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:22 PM

151 posts, read 525,571 times
The rent equation you're looking at depends on the nabe and the level of activity you're looking for. If you want to be "in the heart of things" such as in Cap Hill or Belltown, rents here are high -- or used to be! A nice place with parking and storage can run you up to $1500 for a 1BR, tho that's pretty high. Even higher in Belltown.

Conversely, a nice place in a n'hood that's further from downtown but still fun, like Wallingford, is much cheaper.

The "expense" issue of Seattle might also come from the cost of groceries here, which can be really high -- especially, and most surprisingly, veggies. But all in all, the city is more affordable and presents a higher quality of life than many other (admittedly larger) cities.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:28 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Eating and drinking out are more expensive, topped off with a high prepared food tax
Some grocery items are more expensive.
Car insurance can be more
The price of gas is higher than a lot of cities
Depending on your apartment situation and how much you drive downtown, parking can be expensive
Housing prices are still high in comparison to rent

Old 07-10-2009, 06:32 PM

17 posts, read 137,275 times
I have recently relocated here from Michigan and noticed the pop, eggs and some pizza places are more expensive. Sales tax are high here too.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 PM

119 posts, read 1,027,791 times
Having just moved from Grand Rapids MI, yes, prices are higher, but not extremely so. We just found an EXTREMELY NICE, Brand New, apartment , for around what we were paying, but its half the size. Then again, we never used half the room we did have. I'm not worried about it at all. Just realize you can live in a run down, mediocre apartment for the same price as a NICE, smaller place, closer to where you want to be. Its all about what you want, balancing price, location, and amenities.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:34 PM

368 posts, read 695,383 times
Owning a home, gas & taxes in the city of Seattle. Some people post on here that live nowhere near Seattle proper, and those areas are cheaper.

Last edited by HuskyDawg; 07-11-2009 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-11-2009, 12:23 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
We moved here from TX - cost of buying a home, cost of gas and cost of eating out are much higher. Some things are lower for us - insurance (both home and auto), electricity (because we don't run AC much of the year), property taxes. I shop at Trader Joe's here which I couldn't do in TX so I actually spend about the same on groceries.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:43 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
To be fair, salmon and wine is cheaper and our summertime electricity bill is really low. The library system is so good I don't buy books anymore.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:48 AM

318 posts, read 950,216 times
Interestingly enough, electricity bills for Southerners peak during the summer, but peak for us during the winter.

Agreed with our library system. SPL coupled with KCLS make a very effective library network, all within King County. I believe KCLS has one of the highest circulation rates in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area