Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 12:14 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
This was years ago, but actually the price was the same at a coupla grocery stores in town.

Pike Place Market actually had better prices on produce than Safeway or QFC at that time and it was better quality ..... of course I don't know about the situation now.
When I went to Pike Place Market, the prices seemed pretty much in line with Fisherman's Wharf in SF. Both are touristy type places so I figured they were similar. You have to go to real fish markets outside of tourist areas and supermarkets to get good prices on seafood. Safeway(Vons) and QFC(Ralphs) are always going to be expensive. Somehwere in the Seattle area I would imagine there would be a store similar to what's in San Diego called Seafood City. They tend to be in areas with sizable populations of Asians and to a lesser extent Hispanics. With Seattle's large Asian population there must be a market similar to Seafood City somewhere near the International District and perhaps near Capital Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 01:31 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Costco is a good place to buy salmon in the Seattle metro. I so took it for granted that I was shocked when we were briefly in Denver and Boston and there was no salmon. But produce is where Seattle gets expensive. I get jealous of produce prices every time I'm in the Bay Area.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:08 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
I miss cheap fresh produce in California.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:18 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
I miss cheap fresh produce in California.
It misses you too.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
When I went to Pike Place Market, the prices seemed pretty much in line with Fisherman's Wharf in SF. Both are touristy type places so I figured they were similar. You have to go to real fish markets outside of tourist areas and supermarkets to get good prices on seafood. Safeway(Vons) and QFC(Ralphs) are always going to be expensive. Somehwere in the Seattle area I would imagine there would be a store similar to what's in San Diego called Seafood City. They tend to be in areas with sizable populations of Asians and to a lesser extent Hispanics. With Seattle's large Asian population there must be a market similar to Seafood City somewhere near the International District and perhaps near Capital Hill.
I didn't know there was such a place in San Diego! I did find an area there with good produce prices and some of the more exotic south-of the border foods, it was probably Mexican - I think it was in a sort of warehouse a little southeast of downtown.

I eventually found cheaper meat and fish prices in Seattle's Chinatown, but you did take your chances with the specials - it looked less hygienic and less fresh, and I suspect some of the fish might have come from local polluted waters.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:47 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Somehwere in the Seattle area I would imagine there would be a store similar to what's in San Diego called Seafood City. They tend to be in areas with sizable populations of Asians and to a lesser extent Hispanics. With Seattle's large Asian population there must be a market similar to Seafood City somewhere near the International District and perhaps near Capital Hill.
We do have Seafood City (in the Southcenter mall). However, my friend who's from down there says Seattle's Seafood City doesn't compare to the ones in California. He was excited when they announced that they were opening the store here, but when it finally opened-- he was just all around disappointed. Produces/Fish were still pricey (apparently, they're cheaper in Cali).

We just have Uwajimaya in the DT area. In the suburbs, there's more Uwajimayas, but also H-marts and Ranch 99s.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
It misses you too.
Yeah, there's a lot of that hill billy bs attitude in Seattle. You'll fit right in.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
....We just have Uwajimaya in the DT area. In the suburbs, there's more Uwajimayas, but also H-marts and Ranch 99s.
Uwajimaya is clean and has great quality but is even more expensive for fish than any other supermarket. However there are many little independent shops around the area as you go up the hill, almost entirely frequented by Asians, and there used to be a Vietnamese supermarket with good prices but not as clean as Uwajimaya.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I didn't know there was such a place in San Diego! I did find an area there with good produce prices and some of the more exotic south-of the border foods, it was probably Mexican - I think it was in a sort of warehouse a little southeast of downtown.

I eventually found cheaper meat and fish prices in Seattle's Chinatown, but you did take your chances with the specials - it looked less hygienic and less fresh, and I suspect some of the fish might have come from local polluted waters.
I tend to avoid shopping right in Chinatowns having seen some interesting things in SF's and Oakland's. Usually nearby is where you can find some good seafood as well as Asian foods. I don't think there's any place along eh west coast that doesn't have places like that.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
We do have Seafood City (in the Southcenter mall). However, my friend who's from down there says Seattle's Seafood City doesn't compare to the ones in California. He was excited when they announced that they were opening the store here, but when it finally opened-- he was just all around disappointed. Produces/Fish were still pricey (apparently, they're cheaper in Cali).

We just have Uwajimaya in the DT area. In the suburbs, there's more Uwajimayas, but also H-marts and Ranch 99s.
Wow I wouldn't expect that in the Seattle area. Although I didn't shop for fresh fish when I was there, I had some good sushi which was cheaper than anyplace I've had it in California. A little place on 5th and I think Ward st. downtown just north of the Seattle Center.

Here Seafood City is pretty cheap. We also have Lucky Seafood (well one that I know of), so perhaps the competition keeps prices down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area