U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,822,069 times
Default The Official Seattle Area Chat Thread

A note from the Seattle area forum moderators (the first post in this thread by eskercure is located immediately below the following message:

Welcome to the Official Seattle Area Chat Thread

This is the "stickied" local chat thread for the Seattle Area. Posts can be about any subject ...politics, social interactions, personal problems, jokes, current events whether local or not, news items, weather conditions, etc. Changing subjects frequently will be encouraged and can be done at any time.

Since this thread is linear, the subject matter will be disjointed, changing directions frequently, and will naturally be difficult to follow. This is the best we can do right now. Rules pertaining to language and personal interaction will be a bit more lax in this thread but basic T.O.S. rules will still apply.

Please keep the threads in the general forum as on-topic as possible pertaining to relocation issues, visitor information, or topics related to problems or issues to those who have just relocated to the area. Our forum's main focus should be providing information and assistance to those seeking information about the Seattle area for whatever reason. Threads not adhering to these general descriptions will be moved to this chat thread or a more appropriate forum. These decisions might appear to be subjective at times. The moderating team will make the final determination (this thread is initially being established on 7/26/2009 and transfer rules will apply after this date).

Thank you all for your cooperation. Have fun!

...s/Seattle forum moderators.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Conservative groups get 138,000 signatures to bring domestic partnership law to referendum

I saw this in the news this morning:

Local News | Wash. gay partnership foes turn in signatures | Seattle Times Newspaper

I for one will be supporting the law giving L/B/G/T couples the right to domestic partnership.

Hopefully without this turning into a bitter "I'm right" "No, I'M right" p*ssing contest, what are your thoughts? What harm does allowing L/B/G/T couples from marrying in the eyes of the state, or at least giving them every right that heterosexual couples do?

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-26-2009 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:21 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,957,937 times
I am all about marriage equality. I don't understand the mindset of not wanting equal rights.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:24 AM

343 posts, read 719,292 times
Ugh, why do people even sign things like this. It's like the people who vote for Tim Eyman initiatives. It doesn't help anybody.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 AM

7,975 posts, read 13,464,197 times
Okay....
Even if you believe that gay marriage should not be allowed because it's morally wrong or a sin, the bill passed by the state legislature does not recognize gay marriage. Among other things, it gives gay partners the right to visit their terminally ill partners in the hospital and otherwise be thought of as next of kin.
So, when they go out and gather signatures on a petition to overturn this bill, to me it's just hatred, it's just attempting to deprive people of civil rights.
The bible lists many, many sins, and doesn't really rate them in which are more sinful than others.
Many sins listed in the bible are perfectly acceptable today, and aren't relevant in today's times. It ain't just ten commandments..the Old testament lists many hundreds of commandments, and to me it's fine if you consider those things sins. Think homosexuality is a sin? I don't have a quarrel with you, that's your belief and you're entitled to it.
Just show me where in the bible it says it's okay to deprive civil rights to sinners.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:30 PM

3,874 posts, read 10,932,070 times
"Sins" are irrelevant. "Bibles" are irrelevant. "... all men are created equal" is what matters, "... life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" is what matters, and the separation of church and state is what matters. The proposed referendum violates all three fundamental tenets of America.

Those who wag their tongues reciting "... with liberty and justice for all" in one breath and in the next breath demand no liberty and no justice for some, are choosing spiritual destruction for themselves.

Those who find it enjoyable to try to destroy the founding principles of the U.S., as well as the right of all living beings to live a joyful life, are: 1) anti-American and 2) anti-life. I support life, and I support the founding principles of the U.S. If this proposed referendum is put to the popular vote, I and millions of other Washingtonians will support life and the nation's founding principles.

Last edited by allforcats; 07-26-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 10:07 PM

7,975 posts, read 13,464,197 times
Normally, about 25% of the signatures on petitions for referendums are ruled invalid, so I'm guessing that R-17, which would overturn the state legislature's bill which legalized rights for same sex couples, won't get voted on in November. it will be ruled to not have gotten enough signatures.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Status: "Your opinion is yours, but the facts belong to no one" (set 13 days ago)

305 posts, read 457,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

Conservative groups get 138,000 signatures to bring domestic partnership law to referendum

I saw this in the news this morning:

Local News | Wash. gay partnership foes turn in signatures | Seattle Times Newspaper

I for one will be supporting the law giving L/B/G/T couples the right to domestic partnership.

Hopefully without this turning into a bitter "I'm right" "No, I'M right" p*ssing contest, what are your thoughts? What harm does allowing L/B/G/T couples from marrying in the eyes of the state, or at least giving them every right that heterosexual couples do?
Short answer IMO...None.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:19 AM

260 posts, read 519,287 times
So is this thread for memories of when Seattle was Seattle? I get the impression it's not wanted on other areas of the forum.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 AM

3,874 posts, read 10,932,070 times
Default Broadstripe is Sizzling?

When all my TV channels turned into 'blue screens of death' during The West Wing rerun at 9:20 this morning, I called Broadstripe.

Turns out they already have outages in a few areas of Redmond and Bellevue. Not power outages -- cable outages. So they're 'working on it', they said...

Spontaneous combustion??

Anyone else experiencing sudden anomalies?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:14 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,957,937 times
Exclamation Swine Flu!

My husband was diagnosed with Swine Flu on Monday (and was told to quarantine himself for 5 days).

It's apparently not the big deal the media is making it out to be, because when I called my kids' pediatrician (they are 8 months and 21 months), because my son seems to be exhibiting some symptoms, I was told unless they had trouble breathing or a fever over 104 for three days, they didn't want to see them. They told me there were prophylactic medications, but they'd only be given to children with serious medical conditions.

So I guess it isn't that big a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area