Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 21,387 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at areas around Seattle for possible relocation. Does anyone know if there are any small mountain communities in the Seattle area? Looking for something with a little more elevation (more snow) then what I have been finding, is this possible in that area?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 04:16 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,049,421 times
Got a map of WA? Off Hwy I-90 east of Seattle are Cle Elum and Roslyn, land of snow. You can get snow in North Bend, also off I-90 a little west of Cle Elum and Roslyn, lots of snow. Not a lot of elevation, but very different wind patterns from those of Seattle.

Along Hwy 2 east of Everett you can get quite a bit of snow. Rough and long commute, and the possibility of severe flooding in Fall-Winter, but snow.

North of Seattle, east of Burlington along Hwy 20 are several little towns. At higher elevations along this highway for many miles the road is closed by the state department of transportation forsome eight months or so because the road becomes impassable. That means that at the slightly lower elevations it's still difficult to get around.

Why do you want a mountain town? Where will you work? There is virtually no employment in these little towns, and there are not a lot of resources from shopping to medical to entertainment. If you expect to work in Seattle and live in the mountains, you will spend a serious percent of your personal time "commuting" -- on the days during winter when the roads in the mountains aren't closed due to snowfall or avalanches or avalance control. A few determined souls commute to Seattle from mountain towns, but the ones I've known had no family or pets. Actually, all of them eventually moved closer to Seattle as their preferred option. You might be happier.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:04 PM

work: probably Seattle, definately not in one of these smaller towns.

Just looking to see if there is a nice small town feel with snow that is nearby (commutable), maybe there isn't. Heading out there next month to look around. I appreciate the info.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:54 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,828,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle bound? View Post
work: probably Seattle, definately not in one of these smaller towns.

Just looking to see if there is a nice small town feel with snow that is nearby (commutable), maybe there isn't. Heading out there next month to look around. I appreciate the info.
I would think if you expect to commute into Seattle, North Bend would be the best out of the places that AFC listed, but probably gets the least snow.

V. =)

Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,605,797 times
True, North Bend is not hugely different from Seattle, climate-wise, and can actually be warmer during certain times of the year due to its inland location. Winter, not sure, but isn't dramatically different from Sea.

Skykomish or Index are other options. But as has been mentioned, most of these small mountain towns have few services, other than gas and limited groceries.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:02 AM

6 posts, read 20,768 times
If you want snow, don't plan on working in Seattle. It snows maybe once or twice a year anywhere west of the Cascade mountains (last year notwithstanding). Any mountain towns that get more snow than Seattle are not even close to being within commuting distance to Seattle. East of the Cascades (Spokane or Wenatchee being the biggest towns) there's lot's of snow, but then it's pretty ugly and brown over there and probably a lot more difficult to find a job :-)

Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Thanks. The lack of services doesn't necessarily bother me. However, an unrealistic commute does.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 AM

204 posts, read 811,069 times
Sorry not possible unless you want extremely long and frustrating commute.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:28 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,512,511 times
Last year North Bend got waaaaaay more snow than the Eastside did. My boss at the health club lives in North Bend and she was forever being snowed in out there. We ski every weekend in the winter and there is a noticeable difference in precip from Snoqualmie on IMO.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,230,268 times
Absolutely North Bend gets more snow than Seattle or Bellevue, and more rain. And it overlooks Mount Si, and feels like a mountain town, and is a 45? minute commute into Seattle...If you go just a little east from North bend, you'll see a lot more snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area