Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:08 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Not a good idea. It takes away from the ambiance that is Seattle, and the Pacific Northwest. It might look nice as sort of an avant-garde thing, but it isn't Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 08:05 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeboy206 View Post
Anyone has pics? How do Seattlites feel about the growing numbers of palm trees as of late. I've lived in this city for 25 years and I noticed in the last 10-15 years there is starting to be more and more of them growing. I actually like it but some of my friends thinks it doesn't represent Seattle. How do you guys feel?

Here is a site with pics of Palm trees in Seattle.

Palm Trees in Seattle 47.6 N Latitude, 122.3 W Longitude Photo Gallery by Alain Lucier at pbase.com
If palm trees can survive the winter's in Seattle, why not? I've got one in my back yard, so far, so good, it's still alive.:rol leyes:

Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
If palm trees can survive the winter's in Seattle, why not? I've got one in my back yard, so far, so good, it's still alive.:rol leyes:
Winters in Seattle are NOT the coldest you can get for the Seattle. This is especially true considering Seattle is the northernmost large city in the USA. I'll give you that.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 AM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
We should get rid of all the Japanese maples, too. They don't belong here, you know.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:27 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
And all those beloved tulips in Skagit County and in many yards throughout Western WA? Gotta go - totally non-native plant.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Nay I say. If Mother Nature wanted palm trees in Seattle they would be there already without humans needing to bring them to the city.
They're not native to CA or HI either.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
They're not native to CA or HI either.
California has a bigger Eucaliptus problem and they're doing something about it.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 38,261 times
Default palms vs northern areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have mixed feelings about them in the Northwest. I know we have more and more of them each year here in Portland. I was surprised when visiting Seattle I was seeing them around also. I think they look nice, they certainly are attractive. I do feel though that palm trees just represent the sunbelt in so many respects. I associate them with warm sunny climates. They somewhat look out of place amongst all the trees native to the Northwest. Sort of like making a place be something it isn't in some respects. Buy hey, whatever people want to do. If planting palm trees in the northwest makes them happy then go for it.
I know, but palm trees in a state with snow and skiing at such a high latitude, don't mix too well. I thought WA was one of the cold northern states. All the other such states don't have palms. Not even COASTAL New England. Heck, the water in the N.west isn't even warm enough for hurricanes. If it can grow them trees, how can't it grow bald cypress or magnolias, which can grow in northern areas naturally?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brady miller View Post
I know, but palm trees in a state with snow and skiing at such a high latitude, don't mix too well. I thought WA was one of the cold northern states. All the other such states don't have palms. Not even COASTAL New England. Heck, the water in the N.west isn't even warm enough for hurricanes. If it can grow them trees, how can't it grow bald cypress or magnolias, which can grow in northern areas naturally?
Magnolias do grow around here, and grow well. The Seattle area is warmer than coastal New England, and certain varieties of palm grow well. I think they look cool. We're north, but we're not that cold. Palms don't grow in the colder parts of the state. Besides, palms aren't invasive the way Himalayan Blackberry or English ivy is. They don't take over.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 PM

76 posts, read 216,738 times
Quote:
hamellr: "They're not native to CA or HI either."

Actually, palm trees are native to both states - each state having one native species.

California fan palm growing in its native habitat: ▼

Native Hawaiian fan palm in Hawaiian yard: ▼

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area