U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:22 PM

9 posts, read 13,078 times

Advertisements

I actually have seen a lot of Californians going back to Cali as it has gotten cheaper to live there. What I am noticing more with my relocation side of the business is more East Coast and Middle America looking to Seattle. It is pretty interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 04:14 PM

3,177 posts, read 10,198,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coops32 View Post
I actually have seen a lot of Californians going back to Cali as it has gotten cheaper to live there. What I am noticing more with my relocation side of the business is more East Coast and Middle America looking to Seattle. It is pretty interesting.
THIS.

I convinced the hubby to move back to Calif cuz house priced dropped severely

Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 PM

124 posts, read 279,838 times
I heard that people flock to WA because of there is no state tax (or something else tax related). I can't wait to get away from Indiana and never have to deal with it's taxes again.

Seattle is a highly underrated city and so far almost everyone I know here (that hasn't been there) wouldn't dream of going there because of all of the weak/lame "rumors". Two more weeks and I'm home though

Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 PM

5,601 posts, read 12,661,130 times
There are plenty of state taxes in WA, believe me.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:34 PM

857 posts, read 2,617,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Quite true. Was a pretty big insult to buy a house, have it almost immediately dump 20% of its value, and then get a notice saying, oh, by the way, your mortgage payment is going way up because of an increase in property taxes. (The rate didn't increase, just the supposed value, what a joke. I know the assessments lag, but still, it was awful).

Fortunately we just got a notice decreasing the value again, but that won't take effect until next year at least, if we're lucky.

Sales tax is pretty high, too. You have to make up for that no-income-tax thing somehow. Not saying I'd change it -- I prefer the higher sales tax to an income tax -- but Scirocco is right.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM

132 posts, read 224,979 times
Do we need another CA-bashing thread?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,012,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueGuy View Post
Do we need another CA-bashing thread?
First of all this is not a "cali bashing thread" i have no idea where you got that perception from. I asked a simple question. Your reply seems as if there are several similar threads on the front page, yet I see nothing at all posted recently on the question.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 PM

11,278 posts, read 18,945,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
oh yeah !

$33/day property tax ($12,000/yr) is more than I ever paid in income tax to a state.(prop tax WAS $800 / yr when we moved into this house)

If you are a business owner, you WILL get hosed in WA.
Tax on pencils, waste baskets, scrap paper... (Every Year!!! ) + B&O tax (business and Occupational), then sales tax on everything xcept food ingredients, tax on sale of property (1.5%)...

overall tax burden in WA is heavy, and planned to get worse.

if you come.. be an 'employee' and a 'renter', and bring your needs so you don't have to buy anything. (or drive to Oregon or MT or shopping)

Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 PM

4,579 posts, read 8,439,397 times
I read somewhere that more washingtonians moved to California than californians to Washington over the past decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area