Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:03 PM

8 posts, read 25,461 times

Advertisements

I left Seattle when I was 22, and then lived 10 years in Japan, and 7 years in San Diego. I moved back to Seattle a year ago, and I love Seattle and I am thrilled to be living here again. Japan was very interesting and I really enjoyed my life there, and San Diego had nice things about it (the weather was lovely) but it just wasn't for me, and I was very excited to move back here. I like seasonal change, and I don't mind rain, clouds, snow, etc. I much prefer variable weather to very consistent weather.

Things I love about Seattle:

The beauty - I love seeing mountains, water, trees etc everywhere I go.
The neighborhoods - there are so many great walkable neighborhoods that are all very unique. I enjoy going to the farmers market in the U-district, buying tea on Queen Anne, visiting Theo chocolates in Fremont, walking or paddling through the Arboretum, going to a coffee shop on Capitol Hill, making a trip to Pike Place market, etc. So many places to go!
The cool temperatures - I really dislike heat and humidity, so Seattle is very comfortable for me most of the time.
The architecture - I love driving through the neighborhoods and seeing all of the cute Tudor, Craftsman, Victorian, etc. houses.
The food - there are so many restaurants that we really enjoy and visit again and again, and it is also fun to keep trying new ones. I like that there are so many independent restaurants and bakeries. I have a long list of places that I am looking forward to trying! I feel that there is an amazing variety here. The farmers markets are also amazing, and I have been in heaven this summer with all of the berries and stone fruits.
All of the interesting places nearby - I love that there are so many options for weekend getaways - Vancouver BC (and all of the great places near Vancouver), Portland, Leavenworth, camping destinations, the Oregon Coast, etc.
Relatively affordable housing - even though prices in San Diego have dropped about 40% from their peak, there really are still no decent houses in the area we lived for less than about 650,000. Yet within a couple of miles of University of Washington there are many, many really nice houses in the 400-500,000 range. That makes a huge difference in our quality of life.
The people - I like how natural people are here. I rarely see surgically-altered women with lots of makeup and designer clothes here, and it is refreshing. I see people biking, hiking, kayaking, etc all the time. I love that.
Outdoor recreation opportunities - there are so many great hikes and walks and places for boating near by - it really is amazing. I feel like we will never run out of places to explore!
The city itself - I really like downtown Seattle. Whether we are walking through Pike Place market or shopping for books in Pioneer Square, or going out for dinner or to listen to music, it just seems like a very vibrant, cosmopolitan city. And I used to live in Tokyo, so I have definitely experienced other major cities.

To me, this is the perfect place. However, my brother who has lived here his entire life is looking forward to retiring and moving to the other side of Washington to get away from the rainy winters. And my husband thought San Diego was perfect, mostly because he loved the weather. It really is an incredibly individual response I think. So good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 07:03 PM

16 posts, read 53,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoSanDiego View Post
Phillip,

I just posted a rant in another forum about Seattle. I have to disagree with you having lived here for 20 years. I am originally from San Diego and will be moving back down there as soon as I am finished with my Masters degree. Here is what I had for reasons not to live in Seattle. It may sound a little brash but I way beyond ready to be gone. Best of luck to you if you move here. We're all different and there is a place for everyone.

10 Reasons I think Seattle sucks:

1. Passive-aggressive, ultra-leftist hippies with more "causes" than friends
2. Constant rain and clouds resulting in massive amounts of SAD (seasonal affective disorder)
3. Nothing to do here, and even if you find something to do the rain will probably spoil it for you
4. Lack of diversity--nearly everyone is a left-wing hippy who incessantly apologizes for being white while at the same time talking about how respectful of diversity they are (these are sad people with very guilty consciences)
5. For being one of the most educated cities in the nation, it is also statistically one of the least charitable (in terms of volunteering and parting with individual wealth for charitable causes)--if you move here you will be surrounded by people who pretend to care about others but won't lift a single finger to help their neighbor unless it means preaching your ear off about some self-righteous cause of theirs that always involves government redistribution of the wealth. They are hypocrites to the core.
6. We live on the coast but the beaches are missing fine sand and sun (what's the point?!)
7. Again NO real diversity which equals few exceptional places to eat
8. Even the fast food sucks here (Although I can't say I blame in-in-out burger for not wanting to be here)
9. Traffic (when I-5 is bad where else are you going to go? And I-5 is going to be bad)
10. Not family friendly at all (again, statistically there are more dogs than children in Seattle)
I'll keep it all in mind. Oddly those are some of the exact reasons I want to leave where I live now. Boulder is either all hippies, college students or mid 30s professionals. It's not a place for budding young professionals.

Thanks for the post. Rants are just as helpful as gleeful comments.

-Philip

Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabohami View Post
I left Seattle when I was 22, and then lived 10 years in Japan, and 7 years in San Diego. I moved back to Seattle a year ago, and I love Seattle and I am thrilled to be living here again. Japan was very interesting and I really enjoyed my life there, and San Diego had nice things about it (the weather was lovely) but it just wasn't for me, and I was very excited to move back here. I like seasonal change, and I don't mind rain, clouds, snow, etc. I much prefer variable weather to very consistent weather.

Things I love about Seattle:

The beauty - I love seeing mountains, water, trees etc everywhere I go.
The neighborhoods - there are so many great walkable neighborhoods that are all very unique. I enjoy going to the farmers market in the U-district, buying tea on Queen Anne, visiting Theo chocolates in Fremont, walking or paddling through the Arboretum, going to a coffee shop on Capitol Hill, making a trip to Pike Place market, etc. So many places to go!
The cool temperatures - I really dislike heat and humidity, so Seattle is very comfortable for me most of the time.
The architecture - I love driving through the neighborhoods and seeing all of the cute Tudor, Craftsman, Victorian, etc. houses.
The food - there are so many restaurants that we really enjoy and visit again and again, and it is also fun to keep trying new ones. I like that there are so many independent restaurants and bakeries. I have a long list of places that I am looking forward to trying! I feel that there is an amazing variety here. The farmers markets are also amazing, and I have been in heaven this summer with all of the berries and stone fruits.
All of the interesting places nearby - I love that there are so many options for weekend getaways - Vancouver BC (and all of the great places near Vancouver), Portland, Leavenworth, camping destinations, the Oregon Coast, etc.
Relatively affordable housing - even though prices in San Diego have dropped about 40% from their peak, there really are still no decent houses in the area we lived for less than about 650,000. Yet within a couple of miles of University of Washington there are many, many really nice houses in the 400-500,000 range. That makes a huge difference in our quality of life.
The people - I like how natural people are here. I rarely see surgically-altered women with lots of makeup and designer clothes here, and it is refreshing. I see people biking, hiking, kayaking, etc all the time. I love that.
Outdoor recreation opportunities - there are so many great hikes and walks and places for boating near by - it really is amazing. I feel like we will never run out of places to explore!
The city itself - I really like downtown Seattle. Whether we are walking through Pike Place market or shopping for books in Pioneer Square, or going out for dinner or to listen to music, it just seems like a very vibrant, cosmopolitan city. And I used to live in Tokyo, so I have definitely experienced other major cities.

To me, this is the perfect place. However, my brother who has lived here his entire life is looking forward to retiring and moving to the other side of Washington to get away from the rainy winters. And my husband thought San Diego was perfect, mostly because he loved the weather. It really is an incredibly individual response I think. So good luck with your decision!
Thank you so much! It sounds like your thoughts are exactly the same as mine.

-Philip

Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 PM

18 posts, read 65,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipBohlmann View Post
I'll keep it all in mind. Oddly those are some of the exact reasons I want to leave where I live now. Boulder is either all hippies, college students or mid 30s professionals. It's not a place for budding young professionals.

Thanks for the post. Rants are just as helpful as gleeful comments.

-Philip
Ha ha glad I could help. Seriously though, if you think you will like something you probably will. I hope you enjoy it. Funny cause I always thought Colorado was nice but I only visited once.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 PM

225 posts, read 643,914 times
Our top ten list:

1. Outdoor activities galore! Hiking, biking, snowboarding, etc.

2. I'm an artist, designer, developer. Boyfriend is IT. Opportunities galore with decent pay to match.

3. A city, state, area of the country to explore and crossing the border too.

4. Beautiful surroundings. The kind of beautiful I like to look at.

5. The dewpoint. Where I live it's mid 70's mostly.

6. Dog friendly.

7. Lots of water everywhere.

8. As a gardener and former floral designer, the chance to grow something other than hibiscus and azaleas is thrilling. And tulips grow within driving distance? OMG! The wonderful lavender in the summer. $60 bouquets that only cost $10 at the market? Colorful foliage on the trees.

9. Why not? It's scary and fun and a massive change of pace. We can leave if we don't like it. The highway runs both ways.

10. The PNW doesn't contain the negatives that I'm leaving behind. Moving isn't a "grass is greener" proposition - every place has problems (volcanos? frightening) - it's the fact that we have the right to change our residence as we see fit.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:42 AM

56 posts, read 216,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robineli View Post
10. The PNW doesn't contain the negatives that I'm leaving behind. Moving isn't a "grass is greener" proposition - every place has problems (volcanos? frightening) - it's the fact that we have the right to change our residence as we see fit.
Very true. I just smile and nod when people mention the rain here in Seattle, thinking back to living in Orlando where it didn't just rain, it poured. Frequently.

Oh, and the lightning isn't as scary out here in Seattle.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:48 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,852,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
Honestly, we moved here for the money. The job offer my hubby got was to wonderful to pass up on. Now we are leaving in a month and never looking back. However, I will miss........the beautiful scenery I see every time I drive anywhere, that there is a Starbucks or coffee shop everywhere I go, and the great friends I made.
Us, too. We moved here for a great job offer for my husband. After 2 1/2 years, we've learned that money isn't everything.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Us, too. We moved here for a great job offer for my husband. After 2 1/2 years, we've learned that money isn't everything.
So does that count as a yes or no for Seattle?

Old 08-29-2009, 01:31 PM

225 posts, read 643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnor View Post
Oh, and the lightning isn't as scary out here in Seattle.
That's relieving to hear. I scream everytime the bolts hit nearby. I've caused my poor dog to become very nervous when he hears rumbling outside. The two of us were driving and got caught in a violent storm - rapid flashes of lightning, visibility reduced to five feet - and he was quivering, with his cute ears slicked back and tail tucked under. Poor thing.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:57 PM

522 posts, read 2,626,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Us too V~ Being around family is more important to us than money......frankly he doesn't make enough to make us even want to stay here anymore. We are tired of the weather and the crappy food. Cannot wait to get back into our east coast delights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area