Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:38 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
Weird, because I never hear people say that Seattle has the best food anywhere and all kinds--just good food and better than a lot of places. I'm sure there is a large population of Chinese in NYC since NYC is the largest city in the nation and one of the largest in the world. Chinese food has been a staple in the American diet now since the 50's and a decent Chinese restaurant can be found in most large American cities, however you won't find great Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Korean or east Indian food everywhere. Those are things that Seattle does well.
That's true for a lot of cities but if you are have lived in NYC and even DC like I have then you have had great everything with the exception of NW seafood. But then again you still have local seafood in those areas that are just as fabulous. I wouldn't have Maryland crab in Seattle cause I know it won't be good just like I would never want to have Pacific Salmon in DC or NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 PM

233 posts, read 752,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
That's true for a lot of cities but if you are have lived in NYC and even DC like I have then you have had great everything with the exception of NW seafood. But then again you still have local seafood in those areas that are just as fabulous. I wouldn't have Maryland crab in Seattle cause I know it won't be good just like I would never want to have Pacific Salmon in DC or NYC.
I agree, so I guess it's best just to conclude that different regions of the country do different things good/better than others.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicsFan93 View Post
Honestly, you are coming off as a real food snob.
And that's a bad thing how?

I've encountered plenty of other food snobs right here in this thread. We just happen to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
I agree, so I guess it's best just to conclude that different regions of the country do different things good/better than others.
I can agree to that.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:07 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yeah, tons of tourist traps in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens, you know.
Touche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I guess I should've tried pizza at the Times Square TGIFridays. I bet the chain restaurant food is much more awesome in NYC.
Though, in a year in Manhattan, I didn't eat at a single chain restaurant, but nice try.

Out of curiosity, what places in Seattle do you consider to have good pizza?

Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 AM

65 posts, read 143,034 times
My top ten reasons for moving to Seattle:

1. It's better than IL.
2. Good schools, and Univ.'s
3. Lots of history, entertainment, and natural beauty
4. Family oriented culture
5. Beautiful Japanese gardens
6. Big tech movement there -- I'm a geek and not afraid to admit it
7. Lots of really good shopping (we have NONE here)
8. Good hospitals and doctors
9. Weather is pretty good year round
10. See reasons 1-9

Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 AM

124 posts, read 368,922 times
Clearly people have strong feelings about Seattle on both sides. Those that are complaining obviously don't like it here and they're quite within their rights to do so. I only question the motives of someone that spends a decent amount of time complaining on an Internet forum about some place they live. There's no reason someone can't move if they hate some place so bad, just stop trying to dissuade those that clearly want to move here and those that love it here.

With regards to NYC, yes there is some decent food in New York. It's also about 2-3 times the price to eat out at decent places in new york. I spent 2.5 months this year in new york and thank god I was on an expense account. I'm not exactly one to pay for eating at Canlis every night on my own dime and that's close to what it cost in NY. I also grew up in the NY metro area and know what a decent Deli is.

For a city of this size, Seattle has a fantastic number of restaurants in quite a wide ethnic variety. Yes, your selection may be limited to 3-4 of a particular type, and not 20 like in NY. However, this is a city of 600 thousand, not 8 million. I've had some decent sandwiches at a few delis around town (don't remember names, one of them was by the waterfront though). They're not a New York deli, but we're not in New York.

I know globalization has made the world quite a bit smaller, but people really have way too high of expectations. Of course you're not going to find Maryland blue crap in the PNW, this isn't Maryland. If you do find it, it's not going to be that fresh. Maryland is 2500 miles away. If you're expecting to find fresh blue crab here, you seriously need to reconsider your food expectations. Nowhere is going to satisfy you if you expect something like that. Washington has a huge variety of local produce and seafood that you will be hard pressed to find anywhere else in the US.

As for food prices, have you ever shopped anywhere else in the US? I travel roughly 200 days a year all across this country and usually end up in a grocery store at some point during the week. Prices for individual items vary a bit, but there's no way they're significantly higher here than anywhere else. Furthermore, for a city food prices in Seattle are seriously cheap. I was paying $5/gallon for milk in San Francisco and I have yet to see it anywhere near that expensive here.

Yes, it rains. It's Seattle. It's not like this is a giant secret. You knew this when you moved here. If you love seeing the sun 24/7, why exactly did you move to the place with the reputation (deserved or not) as the most rainy place in the US?

So back to the original point of this thread. Why did I move to Seattle? There's quite a few reasons but I'll list off a few.

Taxes. California is up to nearly a 10% income tax. I had lived in SF for a couple years and wanted to settle down in a place to actually make a home. Fortunately, my job allows me to live anywhere in the lower 48, as long as it's close to an airport. The income tax difference alone pays for more than my rent here in Seattle. I love SF, but that was a no brainer.

Outdoors. The reason I moved from the NY area to the west coast in the first place was the proximity to world class outdoor activities. NYC is a fun town that has pretty much everything urban you'd want, but there really isn't much outside the city as far as outdoor activities go. Yes there's a bit, but it's nothing compared to the west coast. SF had the sierras within a 4 hour drive that made weekend trips possible. Seattle has the cascades with a 2-3 hour drive, the Olympics within a similar distance, and much much more.

I have not had a single weekend with a lack of something outdoorsy to do around here and I absolutely love it. There's also nothing like flying home on a friday evening and seeing Rainier at sunset. I will never get bored of that sight.

Cost of living. Yes, Seattle is quite expensive compared to the midwest. However, coming from SF this place is CHEAP. I pay the exactly the same rent here as I did in SF and my apartment is 3 times the size of my old one and is on a lake. In SF, the view out my window was the building next door. Here I get to watch the sailboats float by my window on the lake. I consider that a gigantic quality of life upgrade.

Furthermore, I was looking for what I could buy in the Bay Area at the time. I really disliked Oakland, and I had to stay near SFO for ease of commute so my options were SF, peninsula, or south bay. In any neighborhood that wouldn't get me shot, I could afford either a 1 bedroom apartment in SF or a 1200 sq ft house that needed a LOT of updating in the suburbs. Here in the Seattle area, I can get a 2500-3000 sq ft house on the east side, or a decent craftsman in the city for the same price. All within a 20-30 minute commute to seatac.

Did I give up some things when I moved? Sure, Seatac is a much smaller airport than SFO and doesn't have an Admirals Club or as many nonstop flights as SFO. Seattle doesn't have the nightlife that SF has. The farmers markets here aren't as big as the ferry building farmer's market in SF. Am I complaining? Of course not. Seattle isn't San Francisco. It also isn't Boston, New York, Miami, LA, Chicago, Dallas, or Tulsa for that matter. None of those places are Seattle either.

If you don't like it here, feel free to move back to wherever makes you happy. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to stay here. I lived in Rochester, NY for my undergrad years and hated every moment of it. You don't see me on the Rochester forums complaining about it because that would be pointless. There are those that love Rochester, and more power to them. It wasn't for me, so I moved as soon as I got the chance.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipBohlmann View Post
I find all of the food comments interesting. I've never been to the east coast so I can't comment on the food there. I thought Seattle's food was amazing.

If you think Seattle's food sucks go to the midwest somewhere everything is processed and/or frozen... *shudder.*

-Philip

EXACTLY! I live in the Midwest and find it hilarious when people complain about Seattle's food. It's all relative, of course- where I live here in Nebraska people get excited about "good food" whenever a new chain restaurant moves into town- people are still excited about the fact that Omaha (50 miles away) now has a Cheesecake Factory and make frequent trips up there to eat at the place.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:57 AM
ok7

11 posts, read 26,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipBohlmann View Post

Hope this helps!
-Philip
It does. Lots of great info, Philip. Thank you!!

Old 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM

16 posts, read 53,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Clearly people have strong feelings about Seattle on both sides. Those that are complaining obviously don't like it here and they're quite within their rights to do so. I only question the motives of someone that spends a decent amount of time complaining on an Internet forum about some place they live. There's no reason someone can't move if they hate some place so bad, just stop trying to dissuade those that clearly want to move here and those that love it here.

With regards to NYC, yes there is some decent food in New York. It's also about 2-3 times the price to eat out at decent places in new york. I spent 2.5 months this year in new york and thank god I was on an expense account. I'm not exactly one to pay for eating at Canlis every night on my own dime and that's close to what it cost in NY. I also grew up in the NY metro area and know what a decent Deli is.

For a city of this size, Seattle has a fantastic number of restaurants in quite a wide ethnic variety. Yes, your selection may be limited to 3-4 of a particular type, and not 20 like in NY. However, this is a city of 600 thousand, not 8 million. I've had some decent sandwiches at a few delis around town (don't remember names, one of them was by the waterfront though). They're not a New York deli, but we're not in New York.

I know globalization has made the world quite a bit smaller, but people really have way too high of expectations. Of course you're not going to find Maryland blue crap in the PNW, this isn't Maryland. If you do find it, it's not going to be that fresh. Maryland is 2500 miles away. If you're expecting to find fresh blue crab here, you seriously need to reconsider your food expectations. Nowhere is going to satisfy you if you expect something like that. Washington has a huge variety of local produce and seafood that you will be hard pressed to find anywhere else in the US.

As for food prices, have you ever shopped anywhere else in the US? I travel roughly 200 days a year all across this country and usually end up in a grocery store at some point during the week. Prices for individual items vary a bit, but there's no way they're significantly higher here than anywhere else. Furthermore, for a city food prices in Seattle are seriously cheap. I was paying $5/gallon for milk in San Francisco and I have yet to see it anywhere near that expensive here.

Yes, it rains. It's Seattle. It's not like this is a giant secret. You knew this when you moved here. If you love seeing the sun 24/7, why exactly did you move to the place with the reputation (deserved or not) as the most rainy place in the US?

So back to the original point of this thread. Why did I move to Seattle? There's quite a few reasons but I'll list off a few.

Taxes. California is up to nearly a 10% income tax. I had lived in SF for a couple years and wanted to settle down in a place to actually make a home. Fortunately, my job allows me to live anywhere in the lower 48, as long as it's close to an airport. The income tax difference alone pays for more than my rent here in Seattle. I love SF, but that was a no brainer.

Outdoors. The reason I moved from the NY area to the west coast in the first place was the proximity to world class outdoor activities. NYC is a fun town that has pretty much everything urban you'd want, but there really isn't much outside the city as far as outdoor activities go. Yes there's a bit, but it's nothing compared to the west coast. SF had the sierras within a 4 hour drive that made weekend trips possible. Seattle has the cascades with a 2-3 hour drive, the Olympics within a similar distance, and much much more.

I have not had a single weekend with a lack of something outdoorsy to do around here and I absolutely love it. There's also nothing like flying home on a friday evening and seeing Rainier at sunset. I will never get bored of that sight.

Cost of living. Yes, Seattle is quite expensive compared to the midwest. However, coming from SF this place is CHEAP. I pay the exactly the same rent here as I did in SF and my apartment is 3 times the size of my old one and is on a lake. In SF, the view out my window was the building next door. Here I get to watch the sailboats float by my window on the lake. I consider that a gigantic quality of life upgrade.

Furthermore, I was looking for what I could buy in the Bay Area at the time. I really disliked Oakland, and I had to stay near SFO for ease of commute so my options were SF, peninsula, or south bay. In any neighborhood that wouldn't get me shot, I could afford either a 1 bedroom apartment in SF or a 1200 sq ft house that needed a LOT of updating in the suburbs. Here in the Seattle area, I can get a 2500-3000 sq ft house on the east side, or a decent craftsman in the city for the same price. All within a 20-30 minute commute to seatac.

Did I give up some things when I moved? Sure, Seatac is a much smaller airport than SFO and doesn't have an Admirals Club or as many nonstop flights as SFO. Seattle doesn't have the nightlife that SF has. The farmers markets here aren't as big as the ferry building farmer's market in SF. Am I complaining? Of course not. Seattle isn't San Francisco. It also isn't Boston, New York, Miami, LA, Chicago, Dallas, or Tulsa for that matter. None of those places are Seattle either.

If you don't like it here, feel free to move back to wherever makes you happy. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to stay here. I lived in Rochester, NY for my undergrad years and hated every moment of it. You don't see me on the Rochester forums complaining about it because that would be pointless. There are those that love Rochester, and more power to them. It wasn't for me, so I moved as soon as I got the chance.

Great post! Thank you very much. It was very encouraging.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM

32 posts, read 75,460 times
My top ten reasons I LOVE Seattle:

1. the water everywhere
2. How green it is
3. How family friendly! There are parks and playgrounds everywhere! Plus so many kids that are allowed to be kids!
4. The people are friendly.
5. All of the outdoor stuff there is to do. Kayaking, hiking, snowboarding, sailing.
6. The rain. I love the rain here. It makes me feel cozy.
7. The farmer's markets.
8. The good jobs.
9. Great hospitals. I have had the best medical care here. And Children's hospital is great.
10. Great schools, at least on the Eastside.

I find a lot of the food a little bland. I love to cook, so it is not that big of a deal to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area