Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:52 AM

70 posts, read 206,807 times

Advertisements

thanks everyone. We can't wait to come visit.

I have read a lot of bad things about Tacoma, but not sure how accurate that is. We are used to places like Houston, New Orleans, New York and LA (we've lived in all those cities). I'm wondering what Tacoma relates to on the bad side. Is it like Compton or more like Long Beach? The Bronx or Brooklyn? 4th ward or Greenspoint in Houston? I guess it is all relative...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:17 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Tacoma...More like Brooklyn than the Bronx, more like Long Beach than Compton. Has large stretches of really boring, flat areas with 1940's boxy houses, and some areas that are a little dangerous, but it also has some areas with awesome views, and areas with gorgeous old buildings ( I'm really a sucker for cool old buildings)...Old Town, Ruston/Point Defiance, Proctor, some parts of the Hilltop, and a few areas close to downtown are actually perfectly nice and relatively safe....I think Brooklyn is an apt comparison. 30 years ago Brooklyn didn't have very many nice neighborhoods, but as Manhattan became unaffordable, middle class folks starting revitalizing other Brooklyn neighborhoods. Some of Tacoma has really transformed into something really nice. The part of downtown where the glass museum, and history museum, and University of WA at Tacoma are is a great area to walk around in...Just like Brooklyn, there are parts to avoid...To me, there are more bland parts of Tacoma than dangerous parts. If Tacoma is Brooklyn, Proctor is Park Slope.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Wow, you are fast! Thank you for that perspective Ira. That really helps.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM

40 posts, read 124,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJane View Post
1) Good schools (daughter is in Kindergarten)
2) Old homes with lots of character (I love Victorian and Craftsman homes)
3)Near the water (I'd love to go for a run by the water)
4) Walk to stores (coffee, grocery store, restaurants, etc. Nothing too fancy)
5) safe
6) under $400,000

We can live anywhere in western Washington or even Portland. Husband telecommutes.

Thanks!
Definitely Portland! You have described numerous Portland neighborhoods that are full of Craftsman homes. Running trails abound, especially along the waterfront.

mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-08-2009 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 PM

Thank you NWKat and Ira. We aren't moving for a few months, but we will need a real estate agent. I'll be on here a lot in the coming months. Thanks again!

Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM

mod cut: orphaned portion removed

People helping people from all over the country. I really love this site.

What area are you in by the way?

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-08-2009 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-05-2009, 02:52 PM

Default You're Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJane View Post
Thank you NWKat and Ira. We aren't moving for a few months, but we will need a real estate agent. I'll be on here a lot in the coming months. Thanks again!
You are very welcome, AddieJane. Feel free to contact me anytime you have questions about my neck of the woods.

Have a safe & fun holiday weekend everyone!

Old 09-05-2009, 04:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
I really love this site.

What area are you in by the way?

I love this site too, and I live in a little semi- rural pocket between Seattle and Renton, southeast of downtown Seattle.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 16,598 times
I live on the Olympic Peninsula & Sequim has incredible schools and everything else you are looking for. It is a slow paced small friendly town. It is 2 1/2 hours away from Seattle with the ferry ride included. There are quite a few older farm homes there. It is only minutes to the water no matter where you live & a short drive to the mountains. I don't know much about Port Townsend's schools, but it is similar with more victorian homes and a bohemian atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area