U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 PM

6 posts, read 6,445 times

Advertisements

Good evening everyone,

In my decision-making process (about where I want to attend college), I have one sole factor more important than all the others: weather.

A lifelong New Yorker, I long for more cloudy days, more rainy weather, more overcast. Naturally, all of my anecdotal and quantitative research has indicated, disproportionately in fact, that Seattle should be at the top of my list.

Now I've scanned these forums, and others, to see if there is any established consensus on the validity of these claims: if Seattle is truly the best place for someone like me to move to for a few years.

Obviously visiting places would be a good start, but I can't for at least a few months, so in the mean time I am trying to make the perfect short list of places to visit.

I am looking for:
- a wet, dense metropolis (more urban than suburban) with disproportionately cloudy weather
- cosompolitan/sophisticated culture
- solid public transportation
- good female-to-male ratio/lots of girls in their 20's

University of Washington - Seattle is an obvious consideration, but it seems like the University district is a lot of houses (I prefer low- and high-rise buildings) and somewhat removed from the actual city.

What are your thoughts on where I should consider, with regards to univeristies/areas within Seattle to check out? Given my 4 preferences, does it seem like Seattle would be a fit for someone like me? What are some other places in the US or Canada that I'd be wise to check out?

Thanks so much in advance. I truly do appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions.

EDIT: Some other places that have been recommended to me include: Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver. Thoughts on any of these are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,187,803 times
Doesn't anyone go to college to attend classes anymore?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:59 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,425,800 times
I am looking for:
- a wet, dense metropolis (more urban than suburban) with disproportionately cloudy weather
- cosompolitan/sophisticated culture
- solid public transportation
- good female-to-male ratio/lots of girls in their 20's

To be perfectly honest I think you've painted yourself out of anywhere in the USA besides NYC. Outside of the USA, you've got London, the Rhine valley in Germany, and Tokyo to consider. They're all fairly rainy areas.

First thing is first: Seattle proper has only 600,000 people, with around 3 million in the surrounding areas. Therefore you will find houses and low(er) density living within a short drive of the city core. Nowhere will compare to NYC in scale or the number of low and high rise buildings for miles, at least in the USA.

However, if you're willing to ditch the need for ultra dense urban life, welcome . I think Seattle will meet your needs. And there are still high density areas, like downtown, capitol hill, and the U district south of 45th street. Belltown is also fairly dense.

Regarding Chicago, you will feel more at home there I think. There are many neighborhoods within the city limits with low rise apartment and condos. DePaul and the U of C are candidates, as the former is within the more densely populated near North side, and U of C is in the city core. However, you will get temperature extrema. Beginning of the semester/quarter in the end of summer will be brutally hot (>90 deg plus humidity) some days, and in the dead of winter it will be snowy, wet, and very bitterly cold (I've met guys from Siberia who complain about the cold in Chicago). Seattle's much more temperate.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:19 PM

52 posts, read 142,126 times
I think Seattle and UW fit your criteria well. You will love the weather because it rains most of the year here.

However, I think Vancouver may be even better for you. It rains just as much there and it is more cosmopolitan than Seattle. Vancouver's public transportation is excellent and no offense to Seattle, but the girls are better there too. =) You should definitely check out UBC. Plus, did I mention the drinking age is only 19 in Canada?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,040 times
Check out this thread: Single Male/Female Ratio

Is The Guy To Girl Ratio Real? - Seattle Life

"Singlesí chances of finding mates are influenced by which side of the Mississippi River they live on, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Western urban areas tend to boast an excess of single males, while many eastern cities feature a preponderance of females." - Peter Gwin, National Geographic Magazine, February 2007.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 8,040 times
i would not recommend udub or any school in washington state. i moved here from the east coast to go to school and live here and i can't wait to get out of here. let's just say that people here are AGGRESSIVE. if you want to go to school on the west coast i would suggest either oregon or california.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:48 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,224,848 times
If you're looking for a big university in a cloudy urban setting in the USA, your choices seem to be U. of Washington in Seattle and Portland State U. in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area