Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:02 PM

339 posts, read 2,204,638 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering, in a way, does Seattle seem a bit less high-end shopping-wise than other cities? For example, smaller cities than Seattle have some of the higher end clothing stores (such as Armani, D&G, Versace, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, etc.), yet Seattle seems to lack some of these things, along with some other higher-end ammenities. This is just my impression, and it could be wrong as I don't live there, but why is it that Seattle doesn't seem to have this stuff? Is it the mindset and how the community is a bit more down-to-earth compared to those in other cities?

Also, do you think part of this is changing, because, from what I understand, Seattle only recently got a Gucci, so is it possible that maybe now even the Euro fashion houses are looking at Seattle to expand their operations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:18 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times
But it also has Louis Vuitton, Mario's, St. John's and Nordstrom's Flagship. It did have Escada until a year ago. I think it's about right for a city it's size.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Shopping in Seattle is a total dud. All of the malls here--Lynnwood, Northgate, Southsomething, that mall in Bellvue, range from deeply depressing to just boring.

There is some interesting retail downtown. Not much, but some. Some of the neighborhoods have a decent range of shops scattered here and there.

Generally the merchandise choices available here from home furnishings to clothing, is pretty limited and largely middle-of-the-road stuff.

The good news is, that this spectacular lack of interesting shopping has saved me a lot of money in the two years I've been here. Every time I go out set on shopping I usually come home empty handed and with all my money. I can't be bothered to buy overpriced pedestrian stuff. Meh.

You want some exciting shopping? Probably have to go to San Francisco for a visit. The food is better too. And so is the night life.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
I know The Bravern just opened in Bellevue recently and has a Neiman Marcus and various other high end stores (Hermes, Jimmy Choo, Louis Vitton, Tory Burch, Ferragamo).

Old 09-14-2009, 09:53 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
It was interesting that Neiman Marcus went to Bellevue after years of "coming to Seattle" retail rumors. I'm by no means a "high-end"-type shopper, but I'm going to have to check out the Bravern sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
I know The Bravern just opened in Bellevue recently and has a Neiman Marcus and various other high end stores (Hermes, Jimmy Choo, Louis Vitton, Tory Burch, Ferragamo).

Old 09-14-2009, 10:26 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
The unfortunate thing about The Bravern is that you have to interact with snooty people just to get to the cupcake shop. So not worth it.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:32 PM

253 posts, read 967,474 times
That cupcake shop is so worth interacting with snooty people.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:13 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
But why bother dealing with the snobs? You can go to U Village or Wallingford Center instead for the same store.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:54 AM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
We have Barneys, H&M and Blackbird in Seattle, too. I think the shopping here is fine. What we are missing, IMO, is good mid-level boutiques. Everything around here is high end or low end for the most part. That's why most boutiques around here are always empty or go under...the prices are crazy for being no-name brands. I usually take my girlfriend boutique shopping in Portland where you can get a whole stylish outfit for $50.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
You're right about Seattle lacking high end. But thats changing. High end retailers ignored the PNW for a long time but not totally. We've always had a little. When I was in Dallas recently I definately noticed a difference. Valentino, Oscar De La Renta, Henri Bendel, Bulgari, Chanel, Versace, Bottega Veneta and many others. Thats why when people talk about Bellevue Square being highend I just laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area