Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Hey vells, I'm from the Bay Area. What do you mean about the Oakland/San Francisco divide?
I can't speak for vells, but when I think of the SF/Oakland divide, I think of Oakland being predominantly(or was predominantly) African-American and San Francisco having relatively few African-Americans and more Asians and Whites. For what it's worth, Oakland was ranked one of the top 10 cities for interracial couples, as well as Seattle and San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I can't speak for vells, but when I think of the SF/Oakland divide, I think of Oakland being predominantly(or was predominantly) African-American and San Francisco having relatively few African-Americans and more Asians and Whites. For what it's worth, Oakland was ranked one of the top 10 cities for interracial couples, as well as Seattle and San Diego.
Ok, yeah I see what you mean. I think that divide has narrowed a bit between Oakland and SF. I would say San Diego is perhaps only recently is able to be on that list. I remember a time when IR dating was not very fond of here. Perhaps it's just me having bad memories from past experience why I question SD.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:53 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Ok, yeah I see what you mean. I think that divide has narrowed a bit between Oakland and SF. I would say San Diego is perhaps only recently is able to be on that list. I remember a time when IR dating was not very fond of here. Perhaps it's just me having bad memories from past experience why I question SD.
Maybe its good to hear different perspectives. I recently met an African-American female at a store in the mall that sold some facial products. I found out she was from San Diego of a military father. She had a very fond reception of San Diego and admitted that she misses it. Maybe you have bad memories the same way I have bad memories of living in the far western reaches of metro Atlanta. Perhaps a different perspective is good for everyone.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Maybe its good to hear different perspectives. I recently met an African-American female at a store in the mall that sold some facial products. I found out she was from San Diego of a military father. She had a very fond reception of San Diego and admitted that she misses it. Maybe you have bad memories the same way I have bad memories of living in the far western reaches of metro Atlanta. Perhaps a different perspective is good for everyone.
Very good point. I'm not saying at all that SD is anything like Georgia but to west coast big city standards, it's a bit behind. Perhaps only Portland is further behind.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:25 AM

88 posts, read 234,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Let's not knock on Pioneer Conservatism and lump it in with the kinds of conservative movements that have discouraged IR relationships (and devastated this country in general)..
I was calling out the distinction in my own description of the different (more libertarian) conservatism you find in the NW compared to the archetypical brand of conservatism more prevalent in the Southeastern regions (for example, the conservatism inherent in the states that needed federal mandates and intervention in the 1960's in order to move the civil rights movement forward there). So, I think we agree, you must have misread my intentions.

The history of the West Coast, particularly cities in California, is interesting, during WWII there was an industry boom and labor need that brought migration of multiple racial demographics to the West. During that time period, people from the South moved West and enjoyed a much higher standard of living and encountered different (more progressive) attitudes, even back then, toward race. However, that boom also had a bust after the war, leaving people "stuck" living in and with few employment opportunities in in certain areas within a region (South Central LA being notable) and that also happened to (due to the politics of the time -- althoughr relatively more progressive, there were still, unfortunately, nationwide segregation policies -- talking late 1940's through earlly 1960's) leave cities divided among racial lines.

That (to address Gentoo and I think pirate_lafitte's reply pretty much covers it) is also what I meant by a San Francisco/Oakland divide (among demographics, however, not saying that either area is in any way racially intolerant or would be unaccepting of IR couples).

I was, however, just commenting that someone who thinks broadly that the West coast, as a whole, is a utopia of acceptance might consider specific areas of the West before making that assumption.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,386 times
My husband and I live right outside of seattle, and YEAH there is no racism out here (maybe an occasional one) but this area is SOOOOO mixed that they dare not say anything. An example, our neighborhood, consist of me (white) husband (black), and our kids, our neighbors just in five of the 50 homes in our new development, nice homes one side of our house we have a black and white couple, with kids- next house is vietnamese couple- next house is white couple- next home is asian and black couple- next home is hawaiin and black couple- next home is black couple, next home is another black and white couple, and we ALL have kids- my kids go to school with pretty much all mixed kids, white kids, and black kids- this is no exagerration. I could literally finish going down the other streets of our neighborhood, and the mixing just keeps going, seattle is so tolerant even the surrounding areas. There are many professional blacks out here.
oh and my childhood friend of 34 years is black, married to a white man, also. Good choice, Cali also is very mixed. I am debating moving down south with my husband (he wants to go) and am really debating.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Default No.....Not So............

Quote:
Very good point. I'm not saying at all that SD is anything like Georgia but to west coast big city standards, it's a bit behind. Perhaps only Portland is further behind.
Portland Oregon is one of the MOST LEFTIST RADICAL CITY on the West
Coast , and might I also add a HOMOSEXUAL HAVEN and UTOPIA To BOOT
how in the WORLD CAN IT be behind San Diego California..????

Old 11-20-2009, 06:03 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Anywhere in the West, especially on the Pacific coast, is tolerable for interracial relationships, with the exception of Oregon.

Last edited by West of Encino; 11-20-2009 at 06:38 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Portland Oregon is one of the MOST LEFTIST RADICAL CITY on the West
Coast , and might I also add a HOMOSEXUAL HAVEN and UTOPIA To BOOT
how in the WORLD CAN IT be behind San Diego California..????
Hey kick back lol. I've only heard this as it pertain to IR couples. I've not actually spent time there myself. That's why I said perhaps. I think I may have even read on city-data forums somewhere when someone said they got looks when in Portland while walking around with their partner. Maybe even this thread but I'm too lazy to look right now. I'm not saying this is a fact by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
check out www.interracialmatcher.com and look at washington, lots of interracialdating going on. i lived in portland oregon and it there wasnt a lot of IR dating, people stared at IR couples alot and were more ignorant about racial diversity and equality, but Seattle was great
Found it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area