U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 AM

27,858 posts, read 23,132,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
Well, there's still plenty of overt stuff going on. Friend of mine (the same one I mention earlier in this thread) who is married to a domican guy (with black features) was at her gym in Bellevue with her kids today. She had her 2-year-old with her, I guess in the lobby or something. Anyway, some guy in there is going on about how all the "Arabs, Chinese, Hispanics, and mixed-race people" have ruined the country. In front of her, with her biracial daughter. She complained to the staff, they made him stop, so he went over to her and told her to mind her own business and it's freedom of speech. In Bellevue. TODAY.

And it's not just 20 guys in Arkansas, either, it's d*mn near the whole state. I got that little wake-up in one of my college classes there. Subject of racism comes up and people are saying the same thing you are above. It's dead, whatever, get over it, nobody's REALLY like that anymore. One (black) girl - from a similar background as me, dressed about like me (probably better), etc - begged to differ. There was a Maurice's clothing store in town where she'd tried to go clothes shopping. The employees went into the back and wouldn't come out while she was there -three different times. I had no trouble shopping there. Later, I worked in another town with a couple of local college-age kids. They were racist to the BONE. They love the confederate flag ("It's not hate! It's heritage!" they'd yell if someone on the radio said to consider that that flag had some painful connotations for black people). And if a black person came into the visitor center? "They STINK! I ain't talkin' to 'em! Get their smelly *sses outta here and I'll come back then!" And people I knew in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas were absolutely disgusted by interracial couples. Made them want to vomit, couldn't stand to look at their demon misfit bastard children, etc. I mean, it was VILE. They'd quiver in anger and hatred just thinking about a black person and a white person together.

It does go hand-in-hand with ignornace. One of those girls was home-schooled because public schools, her parents thought, were the ticket to hell and ungodliness. Another was just plain dumb and only could wrap herself in the rhetoric around her, repeating whatever sounded best and got the most response. The local community college admitted her on probation but she had to pass some remedial classes during the summer to continue... one of those classes was SPELLING... literally doing third-grade-level spelling crossword puzzles and calling it her college work. Only she just couldn't do it. Sad. And forget long division. I couldn't believe the education the kids in Arkansas are getting -- outside of Little Rock, Ft Smith, and Jonesboro, it's nothing you'd believe could still exist.

But believe me, that crap is alive and well and highly prevalent across the south. I DIDN'T believe it until I saw it and heard it and had to live with it for so many years. It's one of the reasons I divorced my first husband. We "discussed" plenty, believe me, and for his family Central High was just yesterday and a blight on the history of the nation -- those national guard troops should have shot the people letting those n******s into that school and shut that whole process down right there, and we wouldn't have to be going to school with those people now. Bad Americans, the guardsmen were, going along with that. Shame. Etc.

The dangerous thing about living here is the possibility of forgetting what the other half of "our" country is like. Ask anyone north of little rock what they thing of Seattle and odds are about 50/50 they'll spit at you and talk about Sodom and Gomorrah. They don't live in the same world as many (not all, obviously, thinking of the gym-incident today) of the people up here do. And we don't live in theirs. Talk would be great, but the people I knew were not listening, and won't be. Closed-up, hateful, hating, hating, hating, violent folks in that part of our country. I don't like drama, but when I really think about it, it does scare me.
I never said racism was dead. I said the grandparents were the last to practice DE JURE racism and bigotry. DE JURE means by the law. It isn't legal to do certain stuff anymore. Racism and bigotry are still issues in the USA today, just not talked about as much. Race relations have just morphed into something else. There are still other problems that are a product of what happened along time ago, mainly socioeconomic problems, stemming from what happened a long time ago. That is what I was saying. I never said racism was dead. I was saying racism today is different from back then.

As for your mentioning of what you saw in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, well, I saw the same thing living in Georgia. I lived in Pauldng County for a while and went to high school there. There were alot of people who loved the confederate flag and would say the same thing you mentioned. They would get defensive if I ever said anything bad about it. Some of the people were openly racist. Some people would make bad comments about interracial couples, some would even say interracial marriages were wrong. I am fully aware and familiar with what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 11:25 AM

857 posts, read 2,630,101 times
Ah, pirate, you're right. I read "de rigeure" rather than "de jure". Sorry for missing that one!

Old 10-17-2009, 11:49 AM

12,987 posts, read 11,264,900 times
Did any of you hear about the justice of the peace in Louisiana who refused to marry and interracial couple? In 2009.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Did any of you hear about the justice of the peace in Louisiana who refused to marry and interracial couple? In 2009.
I did. The Louisiana forum has a thread on it and you should see some of the responses on it. It doesn't surprise me. Louisiana didn't repeal its anti-interracial marriage law until after the Loving vs. Virginia case of 1967, the year when laws against interracial marriages were declared illegal.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I did. The Louisiana forum has a thread on it and you should see some of the responses on it. It doesn't surprise me. Louisiana didn't repeal its anti-interracial marriage law until after the Loving vs. Virginia case of 1967, the year when laws against interracial marriages were declared illegal.
I'll have to check that thread out, thanks.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:20 AM

6,165 posts, read 6,293,273 times
Default Um-Hum...Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
The current generation of Americans were not taught racism as a matter of course. The last truly racist generation was our grandparents. The vast majority of racism these days is nothing more than propaganda by those who make a living off of racism, such Sal Sharpton and the Reverend Jazzy Jackson.

What we have here in America isn't racism [aside from those 20 guys wearing white hoods over in Arkansas and the entire NAACP] it's poor communication leading to equally poor perceptions. Just as we criminalize that woman in the SUV on her cell phone that just cut us off [who is actually a total ***** IRL right?], we criminalize each other when we perceive that we've been mistreated by someone of different color or plumbing.
Do you mean Sal Sharpton and the Reverend Jazzy Jackson and the
Reverend Doctor Martin Luther Coon......Yet there's only 20 guys
running around in pointed hats in Arkansas calling themselves the
KKK.....get yourself a reality check , quick and in a hurry.."please"
. Now in a more serious vein let talk about "Interracial" Seattle
Washington , it's on the West Coast , and is the best place for a
Interracial Marriage or Relationship "bar nome" , yes virginia it's
better than LA and San Francisco..if that's possible , so enjoy.....
yourselve and don't believe anything that Patron Of Wrath "Says"
Because the Nazi's and KKK and Skinheads are bigger than ever
since Obama "won the White House" , but lucky for you and your
partner they are mainly in San Diego on the West Coast.....

Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 AM

191 posts, read 324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
It was wrong of you to add in MLK, as though I'd said anything about him. Your comments reek of the "If you don't support Obama you must be a racist" talk we sometimes hear. Any rise we see in the Klan or skinheads has nothing to do with the slightly brown tint of our presidents skin and everything to do with the economy. I'll have to assume you are not actually a Seattlite, whom I understand are amongst the most educated people in our nation, because an educated person knows that racism is all about economics.

I would love to see things from your point of view, but am having a really hard time fitting my head that far up my a$$.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 16,783 times
Who care if you are multi-racial? Seattle is a good place for all.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You don't even know! Yeah I'm seeing more of this in San Diego since the election. Go to east county here (Lakeside in particular) and the confedrate flags are a waving.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegans View Post
Who care if you are multi-racial? Seattle is a good place for all.
Better than many places indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area