U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-20-2009, 12:36 PM
 
99 posts, read 97,625 times
Reputation: 62

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
John,
The thread here is about interracial couples. We are not discussing who is the cause of violent interracial crime. Start another thread if you want to discuss interracial violence. Stay on topic please.

I am making a point about the main theme of the exchanges in this thread. That theme being that white people are the mascots for racism. I then stayed ON TOPIC and asked these people how they measure racism and used crime statistics across racial lines as another lens through which to look at this topic.

So, I am on topic, but thanks for the concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2009, 01:22 PM
 
8,335 posts, read 14,866,684 times
Reputation: 3765
That theme being that white people are the mascots for racism

Sorry, but I still see your responses as off topic and an attempt to hijack the thread into a political discussion. The thread is about interracial couples. I don't care how many black on white crimes are committed unless it relates to interracial couples. And there are WAY more black on black crimes than black on white crimes. Further, I'm not aware of any black groups that have a history of threatening interracial couples, or black judges denying the right of interracial couples to marry.
You have a right to your opinion, and a right to express them, but when you state something as a fact, it basically says " "I know everything. Discussion over." even when the discussion is not about interracial violent crime, but about how welcoming an area would be for an interracial couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 PM
 
27,574 posts, read 22,936,320 times
Reputation: 7717
Now we can get back on track.

Seattle was named one of the top ten cities for interracial couples. To me, that says Seattle couldn't be that bad for interracial couples. Just give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 PM
 
99 posts, read 97,625 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
That theme being that white people are the mascots for racism

Sorry, but I still see your responses as off topic and an attempt to hijack the thread into a political discussion. The thread is about interracial couples. I don't care how many black on white crimes are committed unless it relates to interracial couples. And there are WAY more black on black crimes than black on white crimes. Further, I'm not aware of any black groups that have a history of threatening interracial couples, or black judges denying the right of interracial couples to marry.
You have a right to your opinion, and a right to express them, but when you state something as a fact, it basically says " "I know everything. Discussion over." even when the discussion is not about interracial violent crime, but about how welcoming an area would be for an interracial couple.

Again, the topic was racism and I chimed in. Nowhere was I political in my analysis, yet you somehow saw "politics" in it. In psychological terms, you're projecting. Sorry if me seeing things in proper context offends you. I simply reject what people in this thread were all agreeing on, which is that American whites are racist towards black people. There is not a SINGLE country on earth where black people could live in the numbers they live in the U.S. and be treated better by non-blacks. Nowhere. Not western europe, not eastern europe, not asia, not south america, etc. Heck, white Americans treat them better than they treat themselves.

But if white self-loathing is really that hip and in style now, I guess I'll get out of your way. I know how self-righteous it makes some people feel to push this perspective of "I'm not like the others in my race"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
 
27,574 posts, read 22,936,320 times
Reputation: 7717
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStockton View Post
Again, the topic was racism and I chimed in. Nowhere was I political in my analysis, yet you somehow saw "politics" in it. In psychological terms, you're projecting. Sorry if me seeing things in proper context offends you. I simply reject what people in this thread were all agreeing on, which is that American whites are racist towards black people. There is not a SINGLE country on earth where black people could live in the numbers they live in the U.S. and be treated better by non-blacks. Nowhere. Not western europe, not eastern europe, not asia, not south america, etc. Heck, white Americans treat them better than they treat themselves.

But if white self-loathing is really that hip and in style now, I guess I'll get out of your way. I know how self-righteous it makes some people feel to push this perspective of "I'm not like the others in my race"
You live in a dream world. If blacks in this nation are doing well now, well, it is because the generation before had to fight for it. And I can name a nation where blacks are normally treated better by non-blacks:Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 02:32 PM
 
99 posts, read 97,625 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
You live in a dream world. If blacks in this nation are doing well now, well, it is because the generation before had to fight for it. And I can name a nation where blacks are normally treated better by non-blacks:Canada.

Once again, re-read what I wrote about blacks being there in the same volume as the U.S. "Progressive" places like Canada will welcome with open arms token blacks here and there, but I dare you to claim with a straight face that Canada would be the same if say their cities had the same demographics as DC, Philly, Detroit. as well as the same crime rates that come with the demographics like that.

It's easy being an open-minded progressive when you're living in a city of predominantly white people and a handful of token black people who are no more than 10% of the population. Or when you live in a place like upper west side in NYC or Georgetown in DC, separating yourself from blacks in your rich white enclaves while shoving your "openness" even though the extent of your contact with black people is passing them on the street.

Make seattle 50% black and see how tolerant Seattle will remain. Can you say "white flight"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 03:00 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
6,146 posts, read 6,232,387 times
Reputation: 1733
Default Attention John Stockton Is Here to Highjack This Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStockton View Post
Once again, re-read what I wrote about blacks being there in the same volume as the U.S. "Progressive" places like Canada will welcome with open arms token blacks here and there, but I dare you to claim with a straight face that Canada would be the same if say their cities had the same demographics as DC, Philly, Detroit. as well as the same crime rates that come with the demographics like that.

It's easy being an open-minded progressive when you're living in a city of predominantly white people and a handful of token black people who are no more than 10% of the population. Or when you live in a place like upper west side in NYC or Georgetown in DC, separating yourself from blacks in your rich white enclaves while shoving your "openness" even though the extent of your contact with black people is passing them on the street.

Make seattle 50% black and see how tolerant Seattle will remain. Can you say "white flight"?
Attention all of (you) posters that want to stay on task..John Stockton is here with the sole purpose of HIGHJACKING This Thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 03:02 PM
 
27,574 posts, read 22,936,320 times
Reputation: 7717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Attention all of (you) posters that want to stay on task..John Stockton is here with the sole purpose of HIGHJACKING This Thread
I will make it a point not to respond to anymore posts from him. Now we can get back to Seattle and interracial marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 PM
 
99 posts, read 97,625 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Attention all of (you) posters that want to stay on task..John Stockton is here with the sole purpose of HIGHJACKING This Thread

Thanks for taking the time to quote me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 PM
 
8,335 posts, read 14,866,684 times
Reputation: 3765
But if white self-loathing is really that hip and in style now, I guess I'll get out of your way.
Nu? Go already. You're not contributing to this discussion. Instead, you're inflaming people by suggesting that blacks are violent criminals and that if you walk into a black neighborhood, you're asking to get mugged, AND you're claiming that all of this is fact and not based on any political opinion. If you want to engage in a discussion, that involves more than taking a contrary opinion and calling everyone who disagrees with you a self loathing, self righteous white person. If you're trying to engage people in a discussion and want to sound reasonable and intelligent, name calling doesn't help.

Of course you don't think that income level has anything to do with it? That black folks have it so good now and that white males are the oppressed minority, and that that is not a political opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top