U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,686,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor80 View Post
Wow, so all the friends and connections that I've made since living in Seattle are false and soulless? My god, I better move to NYC then.
I met quite a few people who moved from Seattle to NYC. ALL OF THEM said they would like to move back. In fact, just in my building there are two ex-Seattleites who are moving back to Seattle. Many of them are stuck in New York due to some circumstances and consider their stay in NYC temporary. NOBODY of them said anything bad about Seattle. I've heard only good things. We also have a new employee who moved to NY from Seattle. She started just a couple of weeks ago. She spent 15 years in Seattle is very fond about it. I asked lots of provocative questions in the hope she will say something she didn't like about Seattle. Nope! Only good stuff. Then I asked why she moved to New York. She said she just wanted to experience city life. If you're young and single, why not? Just don't overstay! Otherwise, you may become... a New Yorker! Also, you will definitely appreciate Seattle more, if you spend some time living somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,480,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I met quite a few people who moved from Seattle to NYC. ALL OF THEM said they would like to move back. In fact, just in my building there are two ex-Seattleites who are moving back to Seattle. Many of them are stuck in New York due to some circumstances and consider their stay in NYC temporary. NOBODY of them said anything bad about Seattle. I've heard only good things. We also have a new employee who moved to NY from Seattle. She started just a couple of weeks ago. She spent 15 years in Seattle is very fond about it. I asked lots of provocative questions in the hope she will say something she didn't like about Seattle. Nope! Only good stuff. Then I asked why she moved to New York. She said she just wanted to experience city life. If you're young and single, why not? Just don't overstay! Otherwise, you may become... a New Yorker! Also, you will definitely appreciate Seattle more, if you spend some time living somewhere else.
"You may become a New Yorker" (eek). ?????? ANYWAY
Before I moved out here from the east coast that is all I heard about how nice the people are and quite frankly, I am very disappointed. I have to agree with JohnStockton's post in his description. Seattle people are polite and friendly and have top notch sales people who are very genuine BUT that is where it ends. Maybe soulless is a strong word to describe the people of Seattle but you certainly don't come across many warm and fuzzy people. Not unless they are a transplant from somewhere else. Of course, this is not all people but in my experience, it's most. NYers may have an attitude and will tell you like it is to your face, however, I prefer that instead of hearing what someone thinks of me through someone else. Very passive aggressive behavior which I will never for the life of me get use to out here, including my husband and his dealings with the people he works with. I have noticed the farther you go from the Seattle area, the nicer people the nicer the people are. I live on the east side of Seattle and this area is a whole category of it's own as far as people are concerned (very snobby and cold). As far as New Yorkers thinking it's the center of the universe. Well, there is no city like it in the world and that is a fact and not opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love the city of Seattle very much for many reasons BUT it's just not even in the same category as NYC. Do I love the PNW? Absolutely. The beauty is beyond compare and I do enjoy the slower pace of life as I get older, however, I honestly don't think I will ever "fit in" out here. I've become a loner since moving here 10 years ago and have many acquaintances but have not made any true friends which is something very foreign for me but have become accustom to it over the years. Bottom line is there is not perfect city. So......hearing "only good things about Seattle" is as ridiculous as hearing "only good things about NYC". There is no such place whether it be Seattle or NYC and as terms of the people, well, I couldn't have written any better than this...

In NYC, you get treated rude by seattle standards but familiarity breeds love and when you get to know people there is a real, genuine, soulful connection that you could never get from a seattelite.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,686,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
"You may become a New Yorker" (eek). ??????

In NYC, you get treated rude by seattle standards but familiarity breeds love and when you get to know people there is a real, genuine, soulful connection that you could never get from a seattelite.
This first quote from my previous post was a joke. It has no meaning. I'm not moving from NYC to Seattle because of people. This is not a factor for me at all. Thanks for you post, because other than "people differences" between NYC and Seattle, you listed all those things that I like about Seattle and which I'm missing in NY. These are the real reasons why I'm moving. You may insist that people differences is the most important factor. However, I personally dont' see it as a legitimate factor at all. I just don't take them earnestly. I'll take any factor into consideration, weather included, but not the "people thing".

Regarding you second quote about how rude New Yorkers become best friends, let me just say that I don't want to be a friend to a person who is rude to me, be it a Seattleite or a New Yorker. Why should I? Because I know if they are rude they are genuine and have a potential to become a "soulful connection" one day? I also think New Yorkers being rude but genuine and Seattleites polite but passive/agressive is a stereotype. You cannot describe the whole population of any city, nation or country with one sentence. Especially in places like NYC or Seattle where every year people come and go. The population changes all the time. Is NYC a magnet for rude and Seattle a magnet for passive / agressive, so those people become a homogeneous mass?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 AM

808 posts, read 1,391,664 times
You guys know it is possible to live in Seattle and befriend the non-p/a people. And when it gets to you, just go on vacation. Thats what I do!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:37 PM

74 posts, read 114,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiMonster View Post
I just answered a similar thread and I will repost what I wrote.....

I think I can answer this for you......

I grew up outside of NYC and moved to Seattle over 10 years ago....moved to the Southeast five years later, back to NYC metro last summer--and now, due to my husband's career, we are now reconsidering moving back to Seattle. If we do so, we hope it will be our last move which means we are giving serious credo to the issues you bring up. I adore Seattle and it remains one of my favorite places on earth--though it absolutely did not start out that way!

When I moved to Seattle, I had just completed a decade of living in Manhattan and expected Seattle to be the same. All I knew about Seattle was based on Frasier and the assumptions I conjured based on my own experiences living in NY. Suffice it to say that Frasier had VERY LITTLE relevance to Seattle and in fact, the Frasier lifestyle was more reminiscent of NYC or Chicago than Seattle.....

First of all, very few residents lived in high rises--it was then (probably less so today) a city where people lived in condos and townhouses in places like Queen Ann or in the suburbs... After running into celebrities and news personalities on a regular basis in Manhattan, Seattle seemed VERY removed from the mainstream. EVERYTHING bugged me about it--from the time difference, to the way people dressed (or didn't dress), to what I perceived as a complete lack of culture and to the tape delay in the news. The Art Museum, as an example, seemed to me to compare more to a suburban art gallery than an actual museum..... There were no Italians or Jews or bagels or delis or subs or pizza....and I was probably the only person in my office who talked with my hands. Instead of wearing summer clothes, I was wearing a jacket to work in June....I was miserable...

Looking back, I can now see a few obvious things--for one, I was young, naive and homesick. For two, having never moved before I was looking to find NYC within Seattle....and trying to find the familiar in the decidedly unfamiliar.

It literally was a matter of perspective and a good example of this is how I viewed the weather. Say a day started out cloudy, I would write off the day as rainy day, which was a fair assumption in the East. In Seattle, however, the fog often settles over the Sound which means a day might start out looking foggy and then morph into a glorious day with sunshine from noon to nine pm....meaning much more sunshine than I would have seen in NYC. But I did not see that at first....

Slowly and steadily, I began to fall in love with the local flavor.....things literally started to sneak up on me. My husband and I began going to Mariners' game that first summer--tickets were cheap and we had few friends so that became our go-to. The stadium was BEAUTIFUL and new and shiny and the Mariners were having a great season. Tickets were affordable and accessible--meanwhile, back in NYC, I had probably been to see the Yankees play in person once. At Mariner Stadium I sampled my first cow-chip cookie (truly the most scrumptious chocolate chip cookie ever created) and paired it with a Tully's foamy latte. I became hooked on coffee....which in Seattle, can be bought at little drive through kiosks everywhere. In the Public Market, at a little stand called the Market Grill, I discovered blackened salmon sandwhiches. It definitely started with coffee and food, but overtime and as we began to explore the surroundings, I found more and more to love....

We discovered Alki beach on weekends--literally a little bohemian beach community right in Seattle. We took the Ferry to Bainbridge Island and then to Victoria.....and then to the San Juan Islands--still one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. We hiked Mt Psi and Snoqualmie Falls. When the summer finally arrived, it arrived with gusto and I still remember boating on Lake Washingto, that first summer, and watching the blue angels fly their F16s into the horizon with Mt. Ranier in the backdrop, looking like a giant ice cream cone popping out of the clouds.

Within the year, we moved to the Eastside where we bought a home for a fraction of our NE place but eqipped with many more amenities--bookcases, landscaping, architectural details. In our little town, there was an beach park nearby and lots of summer concerts in the summer. We noticed our money going further than it ever had before because you know how expensive the Northeast is.... You can live WELL in Seattle and not make a killer salary....there is no state income tax and things simply cost less, and experiences and items are accessible and affordable in ways they are simply not in the Northeast.

Even though we were young and starting out in our careers, we had a ton of fun and expanded our horizons in ways we could not have imagined. We skied in the winter--an hour's drive away. We climbed Mt. Ranier, skied at Whistler, vacationed in Idaho, explored the Oregon coast, ... We saw the Who at the Colombia Gorge--the stage aloft in front of the descending sun on the gorge. We toured wineries outside of Seattle and began to collect wine in earnest....We made friends with other transplants and with locals and created a community around us. We transitioned from newlyweds into an established married couple with a life of our own, a life we forged on our own.

We lived there for five years before a career change forced us to move. I had my children in Seattle and endured a life-threatening illness in Seattle, and let me tell you, the hospitals and medical system are top notch. Not only are the facilities immaculate, but the doctors are ego free and incredibly competent. More than anything else I discovered the advantages to living in a smaller and newer city. Seattle may never compare to NYC or DC in scale or gravitas, no, but it offers a much higher standard of living to the average person. Even today, with housing being through the roof, I still find Seattle infinitely more affordable than the Northeast. I believe, as well, that this translates into a healthier atmosphere.... We certainly found we had better work-life balance. My husband and I firmly believe our happiest years were spent in Seattle....

Now we have two school aged kids and as we sit here, back in the Northeast but contemplating a move back to Seattle, we do have a few concerns about going back: Education is one.... Being raised as inherent east-coast school snobs, we worry that the educational standards may not match what is available here. But of course, Seattle has surprised us before and what do we know? We certainly don't have first hand experience with the schools yet, and Seattle has already surprised us once before.....Certainly the state SAT scores are incredibly impressive.

Our daughter is a dancer and an artist, and I do mourn the ability to raise her near a cultural center like NYC, so that remains a concern.....

But all in all, I think Seattle is a magnificent place to live..... To directly answer your question, you will ABSOLUTELY feel directly removed from being in the "center of the world"--something that never went away. For me, it was replaced by something more valuable: the feeling that I lived inside this tiny hidden gem that nobody knew about....and it made me feel special to know I had such a rich and varied and balanced life. In the end, I found that nourished me in a much more fundamental way than being around the hustle and bustle of NYC. Even living back here outside of NYC, I still long for that feeling of richness....I literally felt we experienced MORE life there versus here, where I feel much more of an OBSERVER of life vs being an active participant. I think that is why we have been considering making this last move to Seattle and literally settling there permanently to raise our kids.....

Relative to the weather, I found Seattle to be a moderate climate year round. I was not "outdoorsy" before but became so there, hiking year around. I did not find it as dark as expected, and I do suffer from SAD. I think being outdoors more counterbalanced the shorter days....

HTH...

PM me with any questions.
loved this post

Old 03-10-2010, 01:27 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,215,793 times
Hey, everyone.

I lived in New York City for the first 18 years of my life. I moved to Seattle recently. Ill first type out some of my experience living in Seattle and then have a section where I respond to certain things some people said in the thread before me. Im going to keep it rather short (even though I am going to write a LONG thread soon comparing both places and my experience with each place and place i like/dont like for each city.

So far, my experience with Seattle has been incredibly positive. I feel happy here in a way I almost never did in New York City. There are things I appreciate about New York City and the exposure I had there, but I feel like I could have gotten that kind of exposure if I grew up here(minus many of the flaws I feel New York City) has. I feel like I would have been the same person as I am in a lot of ways if I grew up in certain other places as well and Seattle is one of those places.I dont miss living in New York City itself and dont think I will(but there are places in NYC I truly like a lot and i find there to be places like that in Seattle in the form of great neighborhood areas/restaurants/coffee places/parks/certain other urban amenities and urban events and in some cases not and in those cases I just wish those things in NYC can just be in Seattle instead as well. )

I am in love with this region and all it offers. Seattle and certain nature areas of Washington state are some of my favorite places in America and the world and I have traveled to many places in this state and the world. I like how Seattle has its own special urban but connected to nature vibe and there is amazing urban landscapes/architecture and natural landscapes to be found in the area. I like how laid back and "quiet" it is while being laid back at times and how it can be desolate in certain areas at times(in a good way) but I can easily be in more crowded places loud and fast paced places and it feels comforting to have both the crowds and the more loud and fast paced environment but also easily have the more laid back, quiet, and slow paced environment. I like that its more affordable here and how I got this beautiful amazing apartment in a nice apartment building in a nice neighborhood(Greenwood) much closer to the urban amenities I want to be around than in New York City for that price. I feel less clutter in my life here than I did in New York City. I feel like most things with my quality of life is better here than in NYC with the exception of a few things but definitely more things I feel the quality of life to be greater here than over there. I already feel like Seattle is "home" and that NYC was a place I just lived in. I can go on and on but I dont want this post to be long.

I hope I dont sound too negative about NYC. There are things(or at least places in it) I like about it but I just find there to be more negative things about that place than Seattle. I feel like NYC is a flaw in existence in some ways just taking high density and the built environment too far, and creating a land of delusional for people, and too much investment is put into that high density madness while that investment and certain amenities should just go/have gone somewhere else. but a part of me feels like its a great city with a lot to offer(but I feel like Seattle is a great city with a lot to offer as well. )

Probably the only things I like more about New York City than Seattle is some of the museums(I didnt go to the Seattle Art museum, Seattle asian museum, and the other asian museum yet though), and that the united nations and statue of liberty is in New York(I feel like those two places should be somewhere else though Im annoyed they went to NYC. However, Seattle has many iconic things coming from here Boeing, Microsoft, Environmental awareness, Seattle International Film Festival, the music bands modest mouse eddie vedder the postal service and other music groups, other things too), more racial diversity(but I find Seattle to still be racially diverse enough and having a cosmopolitan vibe to it in certain locations) ,and the being bigger feel(But some negatives that go with the being bigger feel. ) But when everything is averaged together, I find it more worth to be here than over there and will take Seattles negatives over NYCs negatives.

If you want me to be more specific about certain things just ask! (I didnt want this to be too long so I decided to just have a rather short post comment) And the longer I live here(and I plan to be here the rest of my life) the more specific and comprehensive my reaction and experience to the area will be, with further clarity to how I feel about being here compared to NYC and feeling like I know Seattle more.

Ok now to responses to what some people typed up on this thread before me!

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 03-10-2010 at 01:41 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 01:34 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,215,793 times

1. To dloci: out of the 9 points you mentioned, i agree with 2, 3,4,6, 8(however seattle does have nice high rises and architecture too), and 9(most of the time) However, i found some people to be quite nice and friendly in new york so that may be a misconception towards nyc in some ways.

"not sure if this counts, as we literally just moved 10 days ago if you include the 8 days of driving across the country from NYC to WA.... we moved because

1 - people are nicer
2 - the outdoor activities are more plentiful and more accessible than in NY
3 - the huge trees everywhere
4 - much bigger apartment + amenities at much lower rents
5 - did I mention that people are nicer?
6 - even the "less than desirable" neighborhoods are tolerable
7 - i wanted a car and it's much easier to have a car here than in NY
8 - the views here are amazing and plentiful and of trees & water rather than skyscrapers
9 - people are nicer"

2. To moving with the wind: I agree with the overpopulation problem in nyc but good things can come with higher density. I just feel like nyc just take it too damn far. But there are places that can be crowded in seattle(but more comfortable crowding). I agree can demand more from someone in the form of more energy and stress! I dont agree that someone can live in a city and not become a well-rounded person. I grew up there and i feel like i became a well-rounded person(but did reject certain nyc things) someone can become a not well rounded person not growing up in a city too. However, I found there to be people who werent cultured and not well rounded there at all and how there are these arrogant new yorkers who think people who arent from places like nyc are all not cultured and not well rounded which is horrible and then they think everyone who lives in nyc is automatically cultured sophisticated and so on which is far from the truth! I agree about the lack of private space! It can drive people insane! haha, even though i grew up in new york, I dont consider myself a new yorker lol

"
I don't have any problems with New Yorkers. I have a problem with HOW MANY people live in NYC. They are not just walking but RUNNING in front of each other, because there is no space! Every time I go to work at about 8-9 am and from work at about 5-6 pm in midtown Manhattan island, it's just crazy!!! My problem is OVERPOPULATION, which, in my opinion, is the biggest problem in NYC. There is just no private space day or night. It may be different in other boroughs, but I both live and work in Manhattan I know, some people like crowds, but it is definitely not my thing. 1.5 million just live in the pretty small Manhattan (yes, it's small considering how many people live and work there), and who knows how many more commute to work from other boroughs and from outside of the city! WOW! All these people fight for space in the street, in subway, museums and so on. Yes, NYC offers a lot (for some categories of people), but, in my opinion, it demands even more from you. NY is too much for a human being (please note those who love NYC: I said it's too much for a HUMAN BEING!) How can you remain a well-rounded balanced person if you live in the city too long? So, people who live in NYC for too long become what they are: New Yorkers "

3. To expdxer: um, im from new york city and i dont think shes crazy at all. I can see how she feels like that and i agree with a lot she says. WOW, ONE OF THE THINGS I HATE MOST ABOUT CERTAIN NEW YORKERS IS THE ARROGANCE! AND IM FROM THERE! I hate that arrogane where they think new york is the only place that matters and the center of the universe and other places are inferior. Every place on earth matters. Technically, every place is the center of the universe. Nyc couldnt ever exist if it wasnt for the agriculture in places that arent big cities, and the environment not collapsing and being swallowed by places like nyc. I hate some new yorkers lack of environmental awareness and how places that arent big cities MATTER SO MUCH. I hate how some new yorkers dont see how cultured sophisticated investment can go to other places and not just within nyc's psychotic borders. I overall dont like how delusional certain people can get when living in a place like nyc. I would never want to have a kid over there and have that person become a spoiled high maintenance snob who cant appreciate places that arent like big cities.

"
Many people who have lived in NYC all their lives, or the region, think you're crazy if you bring up any of the complaints mentioned in this thread. There's an attitude among some that NYC is the center of the universe and any other place is inferior. In fact, in the recent race for D.A. of Manhattan, the main criticism of one of the candidates (Cy Vance) was that he lived in Seattle for 10 years and gave up on NYC in its worst years, the early 90's when Giuliani the savior came along (NYC sarcasm there in case anyone isn't sure). Vance won anyway. I now live in NYC and have lived in the Pacific NW (Portland) and hope to move back for all the reasons mentioned here."

4. eastwesteast5 again: I found there to be people in Seattle that are direct as well as people in NYC to be indirect.

5. To kikimonster:
I disagree with you about being removed from the center of the universe feel. I feel like that here too. I feel like people should feel like that wherever they are and see the larger picture and see how interconnected everything is. But I do agree with the rich, varied, and balenced life and experiencing life more here thing for me.

Overall though awesome post u put up there and pouring your heart and soul into it with such passion!

So why do you feel like Seattle is a magnificant place to live?

And there are dance and artist opportunities in Seattle for your daughter...

"Our daughter is a dancer and an artist, and I do mourn the ability to raise her near a cultural center like NYC, so that remains a concern.....

But all in all, I think Seattle is a magnificent place to live..... To directly answer your question, you will ABSOLUTELY feel directly removed from being in the "center of the world"--something that never went away. For me, it was replaced by something more valuable: the feeling that I lived inside this tiny hidden gem that nobody knew about....and it made me feel special to know I had such a rich and varied and balanced life. In the end, I found that nourished me in a much more fundamental way than being around the hustle and bustle of NYC. Even living back here outside of NYC, I still long for that feeling of richness....I literally felt we experienced MORE life there versus here, where I feel much more of an OBSERVER of life vs being an active participant. I think that is why we have been considering making this last move to Seattle and literally settling there permanently to raise our kids.....

6. To movingwiththewind again:

Wow, so what do those people enjoy about seattle specifically and what good things did they say about it?
Wow, thats weird that she said she moved to nyc from seattle for "city life" i find Seattle to have a city feel to it. A place doesnt have to be like nyc for someone to experience the city feel.

"
I met quite a few people who moved from Seattle to NYC. ALL OF THEM said they would like to move back. In fact, just in my building there are two ex-Seattleites who are moving back to Seattle. Many of them are stuck in New York due to some circumstances and consider their stay in NYC temporary. NOBODY of them said anything bad about Seattle. I've heard only good things. We also have a new employee who moved to NY from Seattle. She started just a couple of weeks ago. She spent 15 years in Seattle is very fond about it. I asked lots of provocative questions in the hope she will say something she didn't like about Seattle. Nope! Only good stuff. Then I asked why she moved to New York. She said she just wanted to experience city life. If you're young and single, why not? Just don't overstay! Otherwise, you may become... a New Yorker! Also, you will definitely appreciate Seattle more, if you spend some time living somewhere else."

Old 03-11-2010, 08:13 AM

252 posts, read 404,764 times
My experience in Seattle is that when people are at home, they don't come out to chat with neighbors, have many block parties, or walk in your neighborhoods and chat and say hi. I drive around neighborhoods and I never see human beings! Is this just my experience? Maybe this is what people prefer about Seattle, but I miss our old neighborhood in CA.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 AM

524 posts, read 1,798,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
My experience in Seattle is that when people are at home, they don't come out to chat with neighbors, have many block parties, or walk in your neighborhoods and chat and say hi. I drive around neighborhoods and I never see human beings! Is this just my experience? Maybe this is what people prefer about Seattle, but I miss our old neighborhood in CA.
I experienced the same thing. Our neighborhood had an association that held events..very few people attended them. People mostly kept to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area