U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2009, 11:04 PM

14 posts, read 16,841 times

Advertisements

Coming from a dreary and friggin FREEZING winter background, I was wondering if there are any transplants from WI that can give me comparisons to a Seattle winter in terms of dreariness. I hear all the time about the dreary days in Seattle's winter, but I remember going through quite a few dreary days Nov-March in WI as well.

If it IS more dreary in Seattle, does the temp itself make up for it (WI gets below zero--and dang that heavy snow)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:27 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,360,922 times
I lived in the NW Chicago suburbs, (sort of Wisconsin, right?)...

I grew up in Seattle. Bottom line, it's a trade-off. Definitely warmer with less snow in Seattle, but not as many clear, crisp, sunny days in Seattle. So what is more important to you...less shoveling?, or more sunshine? In a nutshell, that is the difference.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:21 PM

14 posts, read 16,841 times
Hi, yes, sort of WI, lol. I think for me warmer and less snow is important. But really not sure about that. Thank you.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,125 times
What are your thoughts now, did you move to Seattle? We are northern IL born and raised with 4 years in between in Indianapolis. We have been in Seattle for 18 months and love it. Yes, you cannot count on weather, but you just always have a rain layer with you in your backpack or car. It hasn't gotten below 40 so you still walk to dinner, just with a rain coat on. Here you can go to a Mariners game then the next day drive an hour to ski. Yes, you drive to the snow, it rarely comes to you. We are now having to transfer to Madison but have promised one another we will live here again. The food alone is worth the weather in Seattle.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:55 PM

21 posts, read 24,377 times
Lived in MN for 4 years, does that count?

The thing is that although it *drizzles* a lot in Seattle, the weather here is very mild. 90% of the time, it's 40s-50s, grey, and cloudy. We may have a few "cold" days where it gets into the teens and 20s but they are overhyped and shortlived. Summers don't begin til at least August, if not September, and you may only have 2-3 days of 100+ weather. Usually it's 60s-70s. But our summers are beautiful. Not humid. And our winters are long, but I'd rather have a mild winter, than a freezing cold winter. Just make sure you book a trip to California Arizona or Florida in March to offset the grey weather.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 AM

6 posts, read 5,202 times
Thumbs up Wisconsin to Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustpie View Post
Coming from a dreary and friggin FREEZING winter background, I was wondering if there are any transplants from WI that can give me comparisons to a Seattle winter in terms of dreariness. I hear all the time about the dreary days in Seattle's winter, but I remember going through quite a few dreary days Nov-March in WI as well.

If it IS more dreary in Seattle, does the temp itself make up for it (WI gets below zero--and dang that heavy snow)?
You do not have the shovel the "mist" in SeaTac area.<
I've found one in every 7 people I meet there has a WI. connection. Strange? They moved for a myriad of reasons.
I spend most of the winter there and find the 'mist' much more tolerable than shoveling snow and freezing my nose and fingers.
The temp. ranged around 40-50 in Dec. Jan. March and early April. Feb. got a bit of snow, seeing residents out walking @ midnite and make 'snowpeople', and 5 nites of 20 degrees.
No self-respecting Tacoman will carry an umbrella..not sure about Seattle. We enjoy the area because of the arts, museums, nightly entertainment and one can walk w/o worrying about falling on the ICE!! Also all the smaller suburbs and shopping areas have more than I have in my town in WI. BY Far.!! Enjoy!

Old 04-17-2011, 01:22 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,538,823 times
Generally it is less cold in Seattle. More drizzly days.

BUT, one thing you must know is that Seattle and the area have ATROCIOUS snow removal capabilities. Fairly non existent. So when it snows 1/2 an inch, schools close around here. Buses go sliding off hills. Cars slide down hills and crash into parked cars. People who live in the foothills are basically stranded until snow plows come through.

That's a far cry from my memories in a city that knows how to deal with snow ... Chicago. I remember a whole month it was colder than freezing for the HIGHS and had FEET of snow on the ground. Did I have any days off? no. Except two days when it got to -40 deg F for the HIGH.

Most of WSDOT's snow removal expertise is absorbed keeping the passes open during the winter. Too bad their funding isn't up to snuff to keep the highways open in the cities when it snows. When it does snow and people venture out on the highways, it's Armageddon out there. Last year there was a 9 hour commute home for some workers from downtown to the south end. Took me an hour and a half that day coming from the north end to where I live.

I resolved that at the first sign of frost, I either work from home or take a sick day. My life is worth more than risking it on the highway just to go to work. And I am NOT joking. This is NOT hyperbole. You can do a google search on it and see what I mean.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,360,922 times
[quote=eskercurve;18767086]Generally it is less cold in Seattle. More drizzly days.

"BUT, one thing you must know is that Seattle and the area have ATROCIOUS snow removal capabilities. Fairly non existent. So when it snows 1/2 an inch, schools close around here. Buses go sliding off hills. Cars slide down hills and crash into parked cars. People who live in the foothills are basically stranded until snow plows come through."

LOL! eskercurve makes it sound like a disaster movie. Might not be far off, and yes, overall, Seattle over-reacts to light snow, and goes into hysterics with a rare heavy snow. I still enjoy that climate to 4 months of below-freezing and ice and snow and...well you know...

Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 AM

6 posts, read 8,566 times
I'm originally from Wisconsin and I must stay that the summer I spent in Seattle (in '07) was the nicest weather I had ever experienced. If summers in Seattle (late May to late Sep) are always that clear, dry, warm (not hot) and have deep blue skies, Seattle is a great place to live. I didn't mind the calm, mild drizzly days the rest of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area