Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:28 AM

93 posts, read 138,279 times

Advertisements

I commute to and from work downtown via an electric-assisted bike. I live in West Seattle.

It seems like everyday I get a snarky comment from a serious cyclist about my bike having a motor etc. At first I couldn't tell whether they were just admiring/commenting on my setup, but I'm gathering that I'm getting made fun of for riding an ebike.

Thing is, I don't ride to work because of the workout. It's much quicker and easier than busing. Also, my work doesn't have showers and I would arrive drenched in sweat if I rode a traditional bike.

Can any serious cyclists on here explain what your beef is with ebikes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 11:44 AM

13,024 posts, read 7,407,169 times
Newer E or a 3+ older E? Brand?

Old 04-15-2016, 11:52 AM

93 posts, read 138,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Newer E or a 3+ older E? Brand?
Newer Blix Stockholm. Does it matter?

Old 04-15-2016, 02:57 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,633,834 times
I'm the same. I work as a pet sitter/dog walker and I near exclusively use an ebike. From everyone else I get intrigue and interest, but from the cyclists I sometimes get some snub. Because they aren't mind readers they can't understand my motivation (fossil fuel aversion) and it's not my job or duty to inform them of the multitude of benefits in ebike ownership and usage.

I think it's pretty cool that this thread would come up though... for me that indicates that ebikes are a real "thing"... at least in Seattle!

Old 04-15-2016, 03:05 PM

811 posts, read 1,055,080 times
They are jealous.

E-bikes are a great commuter alternative, especially in a hilly town like Seattle.

Roadies can be real snobs.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:16 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,105,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'm the same. I work as a pet sitter/dog walker and I near exclusively use an ebike. From everyone else I get intrigue and interest, but from the cyclists I sometimes get some snub. Because they aren't mind readers they can't understand my motivation (fossil fuel aversion) and it's not my job or duty to inform them of the multitude of benefits in ebike ownership and usage.

I think it's pretty cool that this thread would come up though... for me that indicates that ebikes are a real "thing"... at least in Seattle!
I ride a bike, too: made by Ducati, 1200cc twin, with rather robust and sonorous bellow I might add. Runs on dino juice, so not super eco-friendly (though does get great mileage)!

However, I ride bicycles as well past few decades. Observations:

- When I rode a Scott road bike, was snubbed by the trail/off-road guys.
- When I rode a Scott Sub 20 (urban/trail hybrid), was snubbed by road guys and trail alike. I still have this one, it's super-useful.
- When I rode a Trek trail bike, was viewed as a hooligan and pariah to all but trail freaks. I've never been glared-at by a horse before or since: if Equines could talk...they have a way of making their displeasure known to Homo Sapiens, though.
- Best friend with a hand-built, spec'd-in-detail road bike snubs everyone who doesn't have full-custom and $5K to blow on a bicycle.

Humans are cliquish. My response in less-polite moods is "___ you, too, chump!" Rest of the time, I just do my own thing and...to quote R. Crumb..."Keep on Truckin'!"

Let OP ride his or her electric bike in peace, I say. Sounds interesting to me, and if I had a specific use-case to do so, I'd ride it with pride and wear earplugs and headphones to avoid the smart alecks.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:32 PM

415 posts, read 488,796 times
Seattle snobs are the worst thing about this place. So adolescent how they look down on you... Reminds me of how I get shame for not drinking cool microbrews or in high school when I didn't like the cool bands.
Long live Disco!

Power on bro! Even if it's electric + pedal power!

At least you're still riding and getting some good exercise. If that motor helps you overcome some of the challenges and the hills, it's a good thing.

I bike to work most the time.
But I'm no militant about it.
I love to bike. I love to drive.
Unfortunately doing either in this town is pretty nerve wracking and stressful.

Every week I have several very close calls. Many of my colleagues here in Seattle have had serious accidents with motorists and were out of work for long periods.

When I was living in Europe I knew nobody who was ever in that kind of accident or much less wore a helmet.

It's exasperating how narrow the roads are and how inadequate the infrastructure for both motorists and cyclists is. I really sympathize with both. But it's certainly too late to get it right for my lifetime.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:34 PM

415 posts, read 488,796 times
Maybe put a bumper sticker on that bike
"My other car is a HUMMER"
and they'll have some sense of humor.

Never mind that sense of humor.
Too often I forget I'm in Seattle.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:39 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,712,871 times
Ignore them. You ride what you need to ride and stay out of a car.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:50 PM

6,323 posts, read 6,984,758 times
We have had e-bikes for quite awhile.

Our bikes are rather well disguised, so we look like old people that can pedal like hell!!!

Seattle people have no sense of humor, nor do they get to experience the world outside their bubble. Just tell them that they are technaphobic. They need to embrace change.

Best thing to do...is swap bikes with them for a short distance. If they don't get it after that......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area