Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 12,265 times

Advertisements

I just recently move to the area and am planning to buy a new car soon. I can't seem to find an answer online anywhere that tell me how much the title and registration on a new car will be.

Also, where I lived previously, sales tax was on applied to the first $2000 of single purchase. I understand here that the entire amount is taxed?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
It's been awhile for me so I can't tell you the exact fees I paid when I bought a new car but the state's site can give you an idea and they tell you to contact an office by phone to get the exact fees for the vehicle you're thinking of buying.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/fees.html

And yes, unless something has changed recently, you have to pay sales tax on the full amount of the negotiated price you are paying in the jurisdiction you are purchasing the vehicle. Example: I lived in King County but I bought a new car in Bellingham once. I paid the sales tax rate in Whatcom county which was over a full percent less at the time. Consequently it saved me a little over $300 on a $30k car. Not much but every little bit helps.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-07-2007, 11:12 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
It's been awhile for me so I can't tell you the exact fees I paid when I bought a new car but the state's site can give you an idea and they tell you to contact an office by phone to get the exact fees for the vehicle you're thinking of buying.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/fees.html

And yes, unless something has changed recently, you have to pay sales tax on the full amount of the negotiated price you are paying in the jurisdiction you are purchasing the vehicle. Example: I lived in King County but I bought a new car in Bellingham once. I paid the sales tax rate in Whatcom county which was over a full percent less at the time. Consequently it saved me a little over $300 on a $30k car. Not much but every little bit helps.
If you trade in a car at the dealership, you pay sales tax only on the difference between the trade-in price of the car and the price of the new car. The dealership will be happy to skew that for you, as they only care what you pay them, not what the relative amounts are. Is that ethical? Mmmmmaybe.

Often, though, the difference between what you can sell the used car for and what the dealership will give you in trade-in is not worth it - you don;t save enough on sales tax to make up the price difference.

The registration fee is trivial, it's under $40, though I think there are new plate fees on top of that, which are also pretty small.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:27 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
If you trade in a car at the dealership, you pay sales tax only on the difference between the trade-in price of the car and the price of the new car. The dealership will be happy to skew that for you, as they only care what you pay them, not what the relative amounts are. Is that ethical? Mmmmmaybe.

Often, though, the difference between what you can sell the used car for and what the dealership will give you in trade-in is not worth it - you don;t save enough on sales tax to make up the price difference.

The registration fee is trivial, it's under $40, though I think there are new plate fees on top of that, which are also pretty small.

Yup, good point, PNW. I left the trade-in equation out ...I just assumed he was buying the car without a trade-in for some reason. I've never traded in a car when buying new because you really get taken by the dealer; no question about that. But to some, it's just less hassle to give the dealer a trade-in.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Yup, good point, PNW. I left the trade-in equation out ...I just assumed he was buying the car without a trade-in for some reason. I've never traded in a car when buying new because you really get taken by the dealer; no question about that. But to some, it's just less hassle to give the dealer a trade-in.

Thanks.

--'rocco
It also depends on car value - I traded a 10 year old BMW for a 6 month old Mini Cooper S. The private-party cars I looked at were all financed (so I'd have to give them a check, they'd pay off the loan and THEN I'd get the title), and the people who wanted to buy my Beemer wanted to finance it, too. So we were going to have to do the check versus title swap, and I didn't want to do that. This way the dealer took care of all that, plus all the out-of-state plate hassle, and it was done in 4 hours. (2 of which were me saying "no, I don't want to negotiate - here is my deal, and I'm sticking to it, and I DON'T want to talk to your manager.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area