U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-13-2009, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 27,389 times
Default Daycare costs in Seattle

Can you guys share your insights and what you are paying for daycare? I have a 4 year old in a daycare facility 2 days a week and tuition is $700/month. I also have a 4 week old and was scheduled to have her also attend the same facility for the 2 days/week. Since the daycare does not have part-time spots for infants, it is 1440/month. That is $2,140 per month total for only 2 days a week!
I decided not to put my infant in the facility because I just didn't feel comfortable with the ratio of 1 teacher to 4 infants, plus the germs and all the swine flu issues. I've decided on hiring a nanny who will come to my home 2 days a week and will also bring her 9 month old with her. It is still $880/month for my infant daughter (total $1580/month for both children).
I guess my question is, how do people do it? Am I missing something? I do not want to skimp on childcare for my children, but do these prices seem a little exorbitant? I have relatives in other states and they say the rates are about 800/month for full time infant care where they live. Why is Seattle almost twice as much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-13-2009, 05:17 PM

3,177 posts, read 9,322,730 times
WOW - you'll have to call and find out - at Bright Horizons my kids were full time

Babies $1650/mth
4 year old $1250/month

Unread 10-13-2009, 09:55 PM

857 posts, read 2,326,819 times
Citygirl's rates are out of date! At Bright Horizons in 2008 my infant was $1800/mo. That's basically a mortgage payment. Completely insane. In Dallas it was $600, though only from 9-3, that was all I needed.

At a different daycare now and for a 2.5-yr-old it's still $1075 fulltime. I typically see rates of $15/hr quoted for nannies, but I hear of less sometimes.

It is abso-f*cking-ridiculous how much childcare costs here. There are some cheaper places but many of them stink. There was a city-assisted place in Bellevue that wasn't great, but at least it was an option for lower-income people, but it was shut down immediately when budgets got tight.

If I have another child, we'll be having a nanny during my workday if I can still be working from home. That's all hypothetical at this point, but no way can I pay for an older kid plus an infant at rates in those neighborhoods. Talk about stupid prices. Price you right out of the work market. How much would the conservative south love that? Area of the country reputed to be liberal is pricing a huge chunk of women right back into the home. Go figure.

I think most people eventually work out their own arrangements with family or friends. Works if you have family and friends in the area, but not if you're new and alone.

The only thing I can come up with is that the minimum wage here is much higher than in most other states, and since daycare is a pretty low-paying job, it directly impacts the price of daycare.

Unread 10-14-2009, 10:27 AM

3,177 posts, read 9,322,730 times
The baby rate is 2008 also, but the 4 year old was in 2006.

Anyway I also heard it depends on which Bright horizons you go to, we went to Downtown when it was nearly new so it was a bit lower. I hear the one in Bellevue is super expensive

But i agree - the child care costs in Seattle area are crazy high. I live back in Calif now and it's saving $750 a month!

Unread 10-14-2009, 10:43 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,753,940 times
I can't find care for my 2 year old for under $800/month for part time (2 days/week). It's insane. I don't know how people do it.

Unread 10-14-2009, 11:33 AM

145 posts, read 353,639 times
This is outrageous! It's sort of like implicit one child policy, due to the housing costs and salaries not being that much higher. No wonder everyone here has multiple dogs instead of kids... ;-]

Unread 10-14-2009, 11:39 AM

857 posts, read 2,326,819 times
Hah! Yeah, we had a very hard time finding a good place to leave our dog in TX. To leave her in a kennel that would actually take her outside twice a day would have been $40/night. Uh, yeah. We were going away for two weeks. Could buy her a plane ticket for that.

Here, for $8/night, I leave her at someone's home where she has a backyard, gets walked daily, and the kids love her.

Daycare might be rough, but doggycare is way better!!

Unread 10-14-2009, 01:10 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,161,369 times
I pay a little over $2,000 a month for my 4 year old and 10 month old at La Petite Academie. I could be paying off a nice house in a desirable neighborhood for that amount, but instead I am forced to rent and eat like a college student. Hey feds instead of a huge bank bailout, how about build some daycare centers. Many other (more civilized) countries get free childcare.

Unread 10-29-2009, 10:37 AM

49 posts, read 160,169 times
Not daycare exactly but I pay $675 for three full days/wk at a Montessori school for my three year old.

Unread 11-01-2009, 12:29 AM

13 posts, read 44,406 times
My kids went to the preschool at South Seattle Community College. It is the best preschool I know of, and the most affordable ($5/hr I believe). The staff is just fabulous and the facility (especially the outdoor play area) is great. What's the catch? There is a long waiting list, and limited community (non-student) spots. But it is easier to get them in during the Summer quarter, especially if you take classes there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area