U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:46 AM

21 posts, read 65,174 times

Advertisements

You never realize how good things are until you leave. We left Seattle 2 years ago for Texas chasing some convulated all mighty dollar dream and have realized what a huge mistake it was. For all of you who complain about the weather, it's not that bad!!! Yes it is a little rainy and grey during the off months but try multiple straight days of 107 degrees. The quality of life in the NW cannot be beat - beauty, the ability to live in cool neighborhoods where you can walk everywhere instead of having to drive all over the place, snowboarding during the winter and golf at all other times of the year, wonderful food choices other than greasy fast food, ect. Seattle, we are coming home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:24 AM

8,301 posts, read 14,693,547 times
Welcome Back!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:49 AM

909 posts, read 1,453,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz722 View Post
You never realize how good things are until you leave. We left Seattle 2 years ago for Texas chasing some convulated all mighty dollar dream and have realized what a huge mistake it was. For all of you who complain about the weather, it's not that bad!!! Yes it is a little rainy and grey during the off months but try multiple straight days of 107 degrees. The quality of life in the NW cannot be beat - beauty, the ability to live in cool neighborhoods where you can walk everywhere instead of having to drive all over the place, snowboarding during the winter and golf at all other times of the year, wonderful food choices other than greasy fast food, ect. Seattle, we are coming home.
Where in Texas are you?

Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 AM

29 posts, read 47,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz722 View Post
Anytime someone goes from one extreme to the other, this is normally the conclusion they come to. How many people left "real cities" to move to the "sunbelt" and realize what a mistake it was. Look how transit places like Vegas, Phoenix, Miami etc are because of this.

I'm not from Seattle, but I've been there. It is definitely a beautiful and vibrant city. And no city in Texas could even come close to matching it! The old saying in Phoenix is, "You don't have to shovel sunshine". Funny thing is, you don't hear too many people saying that during the Phoenix summers. People talk about Seattle's weather, yet in the sunbelt, they don't want to do ANYTHING outdoors 5 months a year cause it's "too hot". I'd take drizzle over unbearable heat any day. Not to mention, strip mall central AKA: the sunbelt, are boring places to live. Things like walkable neighborhoods are an after thought. Not to mention the eating out normally involves eating at a chain restaurant. Getting drunk at a T.G.I.F. 's was never my idea of a fun night out.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:33 AM

587 posts, read 658,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidTraveller View Post
Getting drunk at a T.G.I.F. 's was never my idea of a fun night out.
Heeyyy.. it was probably one of my favorite/most exciting things to do when I lived in Indianapolis !
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Heeyyy.. it was probably one of my favorite/most exciting things to do when I lived in Indianapolis !
Ya Indy, is up there with the blandest and most boring major metro's areas in the country.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 AM

587 posts, read 658,032 times
Quote:
Ya Indy, is up there with the blandest and most boring major metro's areas in the country.
As someone who lived there for a decade and a half, I must agree. I do, however, have some fond memories of the place and had some good times there.

It's just really funny because your TGIF comment was right on the mark. I am actually not exaggerating when I say it was one of my favorite things to do there. We'd go to TGIF on Friday night - there was one in downtown but it looked very suburban because it had a parking lot - virtually no public transport/pedestrian traffic in Indy - and get drunk, I used to love those gigantic drinks they have.

It seems insane how I considered that as a fun night out when I was a single guy in my early twenties

Old 10-15-2009, 12:45 PM

12,802 posts, read 10,908,435 times
Quote:
Anytime someone goes from one extreme to the other, this is normally the conclusion they come to. How many people left "real cities" to move to the "sunbelt" and realize what a mistake it was. Look how transit places like Vegas, Phoenix, Miami etc are because of this.

I'm not from Seattle, but I've been there. It is definitely a beautiful and vibrant city. And no city in Texas could even come close to matching it! The old saying in Phoenix is, "You don't have to shovel sunshine". Funny thing is, you don't hear too many people saying that during the Phoenix summers. People talk about Seattle's weather, yet in the sunbelt, they don't want to do ANYTHING outdoors 5 months a year cause it's "too hot". I'd take drizzle over unbearable heat any day. Not to mention, strip mall central AKA: the sunbelt, are boring places to live. Things like walkable neighborhoods are an after thought. Not to mention the eating out normally involves eating at a chain restaurant. Getting drunk at a T.G.I.F. 's was never my idea of a fun night out.
Got a rep for this one!

I have an aunt who lives in Pheonix now. Again, went there from northern cal because of the cost of living. There's a reason the cost of living is lower there. Who the hell would pay a premium price for that? She went from one extreme (San Francisco Bay Area) to another just as you mentioned and she hates it! I tried to tell her lol.

Everything in the southwest is a chain when it comes to eating out. San Diego included. The strip malls and shopping centers all look the same and even our malls, all but like 2 or 3 of them are all owned by the same company.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
As someone who lived there for a decade and a half, I must agree. I do, however, have some fond memories of the place and had some good times there.

It's just really funny because your TGIF comment was right on the mark. I am actually not exaggerating when I say it was one of my favorite things to do there. We'd go to TGIF on Friday night - there was one in downtown but it looked very suburban because it had a parking lot - virtually no public transport/pedestrian traffic in Indy - and get drunk, I used to love those gigantic drinks they have.

It seems insane how I considered that as a fun night out when I was a single guy in my early twenties
To me, Indy feels like a farmer's version of a city. It has that country feel to it. It feels VERY midwest. Unlike it's bigger neighbor to the north, Chicago. Good times can be had anywhere, I'm sure there are people having a good time in Fargo, ND. as I type this post. But all in all, Indy is lame. I'd quit drinking if I had to get drunk at a T.G.I.F. or Applebees . I'm a very picky person when it comes to cities that I'd live in. Seattle and San Fran are the only two on the west coast that I like as far as living. Chicago and Minneapolis for the midwest. Although Minneapolis gives me a little bit of an isolated vibe. But I definitely couldn't handle Indy, no way no how.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Got a rep for this one!

I have an aunt who lives in Pheonix now. Again, went there from northern cal because of the cost of living. There's a reason the cost of living is lower there. Who the hell would pay a premium price for that? She went from one extreme (San Francisco Bay Area) to another just as you mentioned and she hates it! I tried to tell her lol.

Everything in the southwest is a chain when it comes to eating out. San Diego included. The strip malls and shopping centers all look the same and even our malls, all but like 2 or 3 of them are all owned by the same company.
Ya, but what seperates San Diego, actually a lot of Cali's coastlines, that they have "real" communities that live along them. Go to Florida and you'll realize the HUGE difference! Florida is all highrise condo's and hotels. But a lot of Florida coastline business'es are catered towards tourist. The neighborhoods ain't really self sufficient like in Cali. Things like grocery stores are replaced by tacky suvenier shops, trying to get a haircut (from a barber not a stylist) etc. Areas in San Diego like Mission Beach are very walkable neighborhoods, as well as La's beach communities. And they have a sense of community as well. Something you just don't feel in places like Florida. HUGE difference from the west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area