Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,393 times

Advertisements

Im 18 and I want to go to Seattle for the summer or maybe permanantly. I hate where I live and love the culture and weather among many other things in Seattle. Im not sure how realistic this is however. I have a car and will maybe have around 2000 in start up money by June. What are the pros and cons of this? Is this smart at all or am I just asking for it? How are the universities? Thank you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,319,443 times
If I were you I would save up some more money. $2000 will last you maybe two months out here, four if you stretch it and rent a room. You will need to work very hard to get by.

The universities are top notch, try applying. However college is a lot of hard work and you would be foolish not to go after scholarships and / or find a part time job.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:09 AM

6 posts, read 23,062 times
I lived in the Seattle area for 2 years back in the mid 90s. I visit there at least once a year or so. I live in small-town-America, in Idaho. I must say I like Seattle! It's a scenic and unique place! My only concerns are CRIME. I mean, in any big city, your going to encounter areas that you KNOW to avoid. However, even in broad daylight, there are areas of that city that make me NERVOUS! Take a stroll down by the new Stadiums (Seahawks/Mariners)....that whole end of town, especially at night is SPOOOKY! Aggressive street people who will approach you for $$$$ and more. The promote it as the "historic, beautiful Pioneer Square" area of the city. How are drug addicts, and thugs beautiful or historic? Keep your eyes open.....even down at the WONDERFULLY interesting Park Place Market. I love going through there....but sometimes it's a freakshow. Sorry...maybe I'm a sheltered small town guy, but I've seen some scary folks down along 1st avenue at noon hour! Use common sense and goodluck! Oh wait: I've kinda "slammed" on "Sea-Town" a bit much, so let me even things out: Things I LOVE about the city, and things/places you should visit:

1. The Ballard Locks 2. Pike Place Market 3. take a drive down Broadway and watch the diversity! 4. Experience Music Project is a must see 5. Discovery Park. 6. Alki Beach area'/West Seattle for truly POSTCARD views of the skyline (bring your camera) 7. Woodland Park Zoo 8. Take a ride up the Space Needle (bring your Mastercard). 9. Drive over the two "floating bridges"..very UNIQUE Seattle thing. 10. Do the FERRY ride over to Bremerton and back (time it so your coming back around dusk...it's gorgeous!) See......I'm not a totally paranoid Idaho Hick. LOL! Take er' easy!

Gray Rock.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 AM
h8n

64 posts, read 208,062 times
Sorry GrayRock but Seattle has no clue what crime is. People in Seattle are always warning me of particular neighborhoods but I feel safer in those areas than I did in my own home growing up. I've lived in Houston, New Orleans, Chicago, Dallas, Portland, & Seattle. The NW has no "bad area". They do have areas which are not as nice as others but there is no Chicago's Cabrini-Green or Houston's Channelview or New Orlean's Ninth Ward. Just compare crime stats & you will see that Portland / Seattle tend to have higher petty crime rates but their violent crime is nothing.

Now, I'm not disagreeing that many of the thugs stink & and deal drugs. I'm just saying, there is a difference between me being uncomfortable vs feeling like I'm going to get raped & shot next time I turn a corner.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:48 AM

325 posts, read 785,705 times
It's all relative. What is dangerous to some people will feel safe to others and vice versa. But yes, compared to many similarly-sized cities, Seattle is pretty safe.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:24 PM

172 posts, read 441,154 times
Hey you will need more than 2000 to get off to a great start. Some rent in areas is 1000/ month. Seattle is an awesume place just keep saving up. If your doing the college thing(which you should) get many scholorships they can go along way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area