Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 PM

33 posts, read 246,345 times

Advertisements

I have fallen in love with a condo (at the Brix condominiums) in Capitol Hill. There's just one catch...the condo is styled like a New York City Brownstone, and has a walk up entrance, right off the street. The apartment is on the backside of the building and faces 10th Ave E., so it's on the corner of 10th Ave and E. Mercer, just one block east of East Broadway.

Is this going to be a safety issue? The apartment (along with 5 or six others on either side) has steps off the sidewalk to the front door. The front part of the condo is made up of large windows, one of which is a sliding door that leads to a front patio, also right off the sidewalk. The patio does have a fence around it, but it's not very tall, and could easily be stepped over. The apartment comes with a Brinks security system.

I should also mention that the #60 bus line runs past the street and stops right in front of the condo. It's not really a bus stop, but is actually a "bus layover" where buses that are ahead of schedule can park at and wait. I think people can catch the bus there if they want, but after spending over an hour at the condo, I didn't see any one getting on the bus. Just empty buses parking and waiting. There isn't a covered bus stop or anything.

Am I crazy? Is this a recipe for disaster? I really like the area and love the condo, I just want to make sure that safety won't be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 01:44 AM

121 posts, read 336,602 times
That area is very safe, and it's reasonably quiet. I don't think you should worry at all. I would gladly move into Brix, if I could afford it. I bought a studio in Braeburn (15th and Pine) which I love. Capitol Hill is a great location if you want to walk to stores and restaurants and not rely on a car. Best of luck with your decision!

Old 10-25-2009, 04:44 AM

132 posts, read 339,581 times
You are talking about the Brix townhouses along 10th. =)

That area is "quite" safe (much better than Pike & Pine), not that "I want to leave my window or door unlocked while taking a shower alone" kind of safe.

Also you are correct in spotting the bus, they run every 30 minutes and is as loud as any bus is - one more thing to consider. When I looked there a month ago, the bus is there for the weekend.

Last edited by BellevueGuy; 10-25-2009 at 04:56 AM..

Old 10-25-2009, 08:40 AM

191 posts, read 508,663 times
Safety in numbers is what I always say, which is why I suggest living in a homeless shelter. The rent is unbeatable and the people all have that exotic, European, scent going on.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:53 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times
If you don't want it I'll certainly take it. That is one feature that I love about the Brix. You can walk into your place right off the sidewalk.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM

BellevueGuy,

Is it an actual bus stop? Or a bus "waiting" area? I was there for a few hours on a Saturday, and the bus just parked there, stayed for a while, and was totally empty. Nobody got on or off...

Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 PM

318 posts, read 946,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnewyorker View Post
BellevueGuy,

Is it an actual bus stop? Or a bus "waiting" area? I was there for a few hours on a Saturday, and the bus just parked there, stayed for a while, and was totally empty. Nobody got on or off...

I've never ventured by the Brix, but from what you're describing, it's highly unlikely that that was an actual bus in service. Metro and ST do have a few areas throughout the city where they have bus layover points. If you roam about the city more, you'll notice this is actually a very common phenomenon. Buses will just be sitting there on the side of the road. Nothing to be alarmed of.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 PM

132 posts, read 339,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnewyorker View Post
BellevueGuy,

It is the layover point of #60 bus service, I don't know whether people can actually get on / off. What I saw on weekends is that there are always one or two buses parked in tha bay, and one bus leaves every 30 mins or so. I really hate it because when a bus starts, it's quite a noise. =) Also make sure you don't pick one of the units that directly face the bus.

You can check Metro website, I think the bus runs from 6am (way too early for me) to 7pm (nice because it doesn't disturb your TV watching and sleeping).

Old 10-25-2009, 10:10 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,226,083 times
It's a bus layover. If a bus in on schedule, there is often anywhere from 5-20 minutes or so where the driver is allowed to take a break. If the bus had it's layover spot in the bus stop, people would be knocking on the doors or otherwise bothering the drivers. If the driver turns the bus on and he/she is ready to go, they'll often let you board there at the layover spot, but if you knock on the door while they're desperately trying to get that ten minute power nap in, fuggetaboutit.You'll become invisible.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:43 PM

Got it...well, the unit we are looking at (which is the only unit left) faces the bus. Do you think that's a deal breaker? The noise/view didn't bother me all that much...but I was only there for an hour or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: