U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:04 PM

132 posts, read 219,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I agree with needing the unions to realize that times have changed and if they don't tone down their rhetoric then they are shooting themselves in the foot. SPEEA is better about it because they know that Boeing can outsource the engineering with the exception of ITAR and EAR restricted stuff. Of course, domestic companies know that outsourcing too much work is detrimental to US society and if they do it too much then nobody will be able to afford the services they provide.
If I am not mistaken SPEEA should have more bargaining power than IAM? It's not easy to find good experienced engineers but it's very easy (sorry some folks) to train a machinist.

I hope Boeing's contract talk with SPEEA will work out fine next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 PM

3,274 posts, read 4,260,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueGuy View Post
If I am not mistaken SPEEA should have more bargaining power than IAM? It's not easy to find good experienced engineers but it's very easy (sorry some folks) to train a machinist.

I hope Boeing's contract talk with SPEEA will work out fine next year.
It is very easy to train a CNC machine operator...not a machinist.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 AM

26,702 posts, read 21,871,078 times
What is the lowdown on Boeing as of now?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,261,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What is the lowdown on Boeing as of now?
As in ... ? There's three business units, Defense, Commercial, and Financing. They do roughly $60 billion a year in business. They do a TON of stuff. They also have a presence in multiple countries and states in the USA. You will have to be more specific.

The company is not in danger of going under. But times are rough, for sure. They've taken out $5 billion in long-term debt.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:32 PM

343 posts, read 741,004 times
Which one of you said that the biotech industry in the Puget Sound region wasn't that important? Who said that?

Study: More than 77,000 jobs tied to state's biotech industry

Old 11-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
As in ... ? There's three business units, Defense, Commercial, and Financing. They do roughly $60 billion a year in business. They do a TON of stuff. They also have a presence in multiple countries and states in the USA. You will have to be more specific.

The company is not in danger of going under. But times are rough, for sure. They've taken out $5 billion in long-term debt.
When I mean lowdown, I mean will Boeing take its factories out of the Puget Sound area?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:35 PM

44 posts, read 101,694 times
^Rather, it's opening a NEW factory ELSEWHERE. As in, the factories here are staying for the time being.

As for long-term, who knows. 737 replacement is due soon, and it could be made elsewhere too.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grastus View Post
^Rather, it's opening a NEW factory ELSEWHERE. As in, the factories here are staying for the time being.

As for long-term, who knows. 737 replacement is due soon, and it could be made elsewhere too.
I just can't imagine Seattle without Boeing.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:42 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,090,843 times
Well, start imagining.

It is not going to happen overnight, but to annoy the person who hates the phrase, I will say it again:

"THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL".

No leaders in Seattle seem to view this situation as a problem, but I think that is really just avoiding the issue. At some point, (whether it is in 10 years, or 25, Seattle metro will be without industrial production of any sort, and Boeing will be the major reason, but, I don't blame Boeing here.) The question is really about pride. Are the Boeing workers too proud to accept concessions? If that answer is yes, then they are writing their own graves. In today's world, the power, right or wrong, is not with the worker, unfortunately. It is with the corporation. Labor unions were all well and good when the U.S. ran the world both economically and technologically. Those days are gone. Get used to it.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Well, start imagining.

It is not going to happen overnight, but to annoy the person who hates the phrase, I will say it again:

"THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL".

No leaders in Seattle seem to view this situation as a problem, but I think that is really just avoiding the issue. At some point, (whether it is in 10 years, or 25, Seattle metro will be without industrial production of any sort, and Boeing will be the major reason, but, I don't blame Boeing here.) The question is really about pride. Are the Boeing workers too proud to accept concessions? If that answer is yes, then they are writing their own graves. In today's world, the power, right or wrong, is not with the worker, unfortunately. It is with the corporation. Labor unions were all well and good when the U.S. ran the world both economically and technologically. Those days are gone. Get used to it.
What would happen if all of the world's workers started unionizing? If that happens, manufacturers will have no way to find cheap labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area