Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:57 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,135 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what the likelihood of a earthquake is in the Seattle area? Probably far less than the hurricanes in Florida where I am moving from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 02:10 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Anyone know what the likelihood of a earthquake is in the Seattle area? Probably far less than the hurricanes in Florida where I am moving from?
Well, there are earthquakes and then there are earthquakes. On the west coast there are scattered small earthquakes, unfelt by anyone, on a daily basis. They're pretty much nothing and mean nothing (except to remind us this is an active area).

There is the possibility of larger events, from the kind you can feel to the kind that cause damage (primary or secondary). The odds are reasonably good that there will be a largish earthquake within the next 50 years or so. What the definition of "largish" is, and how likely it is to cause damage, is a guess at best.

you can see a lot of information here:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...hp?regionID=47

It's mostly something you do general common-sense stuff to deal with the potential of: secure top-heavy furniture, don't keep a ton of little glass ornaments high up on shelves, know where the gas shut off is. A lot of the precautions are very similar to any area that has major storms (keeping a small store of water, food, flashlights).

Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 PM

ok, thanks for the information

Old 05-11-2007, 02:56 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
We also discussed it here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...rthquakes.html

...don't let it scare ya though.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,083 times
Default You Never Know

I think you need to be okay with the fact that it could happen. Before I moved to Washington I asked my husband if Washington gets earthquakes like California and he assured me they don't and that the last earthquake was over 40 years ago in Washington. Well, after we moved, about three months later, wouldn't you know we get a 7.0 earthquake. Scared the crap out of me especially since I never experienced a earthquake before. I hope it never happens again but you never know.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:41 PM

416 posts, read 2,509,929 times
I was in that in one of the highrise buildings in Seattle. They say Washington state hardly gets earthquakes - they are wrong.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:08 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Likelihood of an earthquake in the Pacific NW is extreme. Add to that: Mt. Rainier is considered one of the most potentially deadly volcanoes on the planet.

We were here for the big earthquake several years ago. Not fun. Our daughter is still traumatized by it.

The BIG difference between hurricanes and earthquakes: You can see hurricanes coming and get out of the way in time. Personally, I would take the hurricanes over the earthquakes any day.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:46 AM

Thanks for all the information. But it looks like there is no turning back for me The job situation here in Florida is not good at all much less the lack of health care benefits the employers provide, so I guess I will just have to take my chances on that earthquake, my flight is already booked

Old 05-12-2007, 08:52 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
Quote:
They say Washington state hardly gets earthquakes - they are wrong.
Who is "they"? I have never heard that. In fact, it's widely known as the opposite. Your "they" must be different from the generally known "they".

Saying that, on the flip side, I lived there near 10 years and only felt one.

... always was worried about "The Big One" though. It's definitely a real concern, and you should be prepared - however, it's not something that should consume and dictate your life.

I agree, on the positive side with a hurricane, you know it's path and when it's coming. With an earthquake, there is no warning or control. Once it's happening, you are stuck riding it out.

Move to Seattle, but learn about earthquake preparedness and have a kit ready.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Likelihood of an earthquake in the Pacific NW is extreme. Add to that: Mt. Rainier is considered one of the most potentially deadly volcanoes on the planet.
The danger from Mt Rainier is more related to the potential of post-quake earth movement (or even non-earthquake-related earth movement) - mudflows and landslides, similar to the Electron Flow.

Yes, the Pacific Northwest has earthquakes, and yes, they happen frequently, although the vast majority are too small to be felt. The question is - what type of event will it be? The "big quake" talk generally centers on the potential for a large-scale event (possibly up to a 9.0) caused by slippage at the subduction zones between the Pacific and North American plates. There are a number of faults in the northwest, as there is a generally northwest-trending fault zone that runs through the entire Oregon-Washington- British Columbia area. It's a different type of fault than the San Andreas.

Here's a short article from the USGS, specifically on Seattle-area hazards.

http://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/pacnw/lif...eqhazards.html

For myself - I am a geologist; it's what my degrees are in. I've lived most of my life in Earthquake Country, be it Oregon or Washington or California. I accept the potential risk for a very large event by doing a bit of preparation. I expect small-scale events. But I wouldn't live anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area