Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:41 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Exactly, she asked about the shopping differences, not about the ballet, symphony, sporting events, etc.
Ummm no.

Here's what the poster asked. Verbatim.

Quote:
How does Bellevue (the Bellevue Square area) compare to downtown Seattle (shopping, restaurants, etc.)?
But since shopping is almost all that Bellevue has, I can understand why you'd interpret her request in that manner.

Bellevue has some great places to eat as well I might add and a nice shopping area at Bellevue Square. That's about it. There really is no "etc" there.

Seattle however, is teeming with "etc" and a far greater number of superb restaurants. And let's not discount the "shopping" at the Pike Place Market.

Alas, there is a huge difference.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
[i]
As a matter of fact, Bellevue has some awesome Indian restaurants, so good they're worth the schlep across the bridge. Bellevue also has a blueberry farm.
Well there you have it then. Indian Restaurants and a blueberry farm. Now are those near the Bellevue Square? I'm guessing not. I know Mayuri, which is wonderful, is near Crossroads.

Note I left out tons of other great Seattle "poor snob" stuff that wasn't downtown.

And last time I checked, Seattle has plenty of great Indian foods.But most of them are in the U district.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:09 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Ummm no.

Here's what the poster asked. Verbatim.

But since shopping is almost all that Bellevue has, I can understand why you'd interpret her request in that manner.

Bellevue has some great places to eat as well I might add and a nice shopping area at Bellevue Square. That's about it. There really is no "etc" there.

Seattle however, is teeming with "etc" and a far greater number of superb restaurants. And let's not discount the "shopping" at the Pike Place Market.

Alas, there is a huge difference.
She asked about Bellevue Square specifically, how could she not be asking about shopping? She asked specifically about a mall. And I don't know why you're being so defensive, I for one, am not saying anything negative about Seattle.

But speaking to the snob comments, I do remember being in Bellevue Square shortly after my daughter was born, and I was walking with my mom, pushing my son and daughter in a double stroller, and I was saying to my mom, "If there's a wait at Cheesecake Factory, we can make Eric (my husband) wait, and we can just walk around." And a total stranger, in her 50s walking with a friend, without missing a beat said to me, "Maybe if you spent more time walking and less time eating at Cheesecake Factory, you wouldn't be so fat." WTF? Who says that to a stranger?

Having lived most of my adult life in CA, and being overweight for a lot of it, I have never had a total stranger say anything to my face or even loud enough for me to hear about my weight, even though in CA, I often seem to be the heaviest person in a crowd. However, in the Seattle area, I see way more people my size or bigger, yet in 2 1/2 years, there have been 4-5 incidents like the one mentioned above, and 1 or 2 happened in Seattle proper.

ETA: Just because I like shopping at Bellevue Square, does not mean I have anything against shopping in Seattle. Shopping in Seattle is great, when the weather is nice.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
She asked about Bellevue Square specifically, how could she not be asking about shopping?
Show me where I suggested otherwise? Oh wait. You can't. Go back and reread my last post.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:29 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Show me where I suggested otherwise? Oh wait. You can't. Go back and reread my last post.
Fair enough, she did ask about "shopping, restaurants, etc."

I still contend, like I stated in my original post, if you're just talking about standard mall shopping there's nothing you can get in Seattle that you can't get in Bellevue, and vis a vis. As to the etc., well naturally Seattle is going to have more to offer, it's a much bigger city than Bellevue.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:29 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Chutney's of Bellevue is near Bel Square and is above average. Moghul Palace recently moved from the Bel Square area a bit further east, and is a favorite of Bill Gates, and my fave is Taj Palace. not so near Bellevue Square....But the area around Bellevue Square is much, much smaller than downtown Seattle, so it's kind of an odd question to compare the two, like asking to compare the beaches of Westport to the beaches of california.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:03 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,771,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Chutney's of Bellevue is near Bel Square and is above average. Moghul Palace recently moved from the Bel Square area a bit further east, and is a favorite of Bill Gates, and my fave is Taj Palace. not so near Bellevue Square....But the area around Bellevue Square is much, much smaller than downtown Seattle, so it's kind of an odd question to compare the two, like asking to compare the beaches of Westport to the beaches of california.
Thanks Ira, I was just about to ask you what the good Indian places in Bellevue were.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 AM

132 posts, read 340,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Saying that Bellevue and Seattle are extremely the same is the most absurd thing I've read in this forum.
Great... here comes the great defender of Seattle.

We are not comparing apples with oranges, LA with New York, San Fran with Hong Kong, Paris with Tokyo here... we are talking about two small, average American cities with little history 10 miles apart. (Please don't educate me on Seattle's "history"... a few 100-year-old broken buildings at crime-filled Pioneer Square is not history... Beijing / Paris / London has history and heritage).

Seattle is a much bigger city with stadia, touristy things, etc. But to say that they are "world's apart" just shows how few places and cities one has been to, so they have to cling to their "Seattleness" to feel either snobbish or secure.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:17 AM

132 posts, read 340,851 times
Quote:

But speaking to the snob comments, I do remember being in Bellevue Square shortly after my daughter was born, and I was walking with my mom, pushing my son and daughter in a double stroller, and I was saying to my mom, "If there's a wait at Cheesecake Factory, we can make Eric (my husband) wait, and we can just walk around." And a total stranger, in her 50s walking with a friend, without missing a beat said to me, "Maybe if you spent more time walking and less time eating at Cheesecake Factory, you wouldn't be so fat." WTF? Who says that to a stranger?
Wow what the hell? I really feel sorry for you!!! If I were you I will beat the hell out of the idiot. Don't let "those people" get to you.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueGuy View Post
we are talking about two small, average American cities with little history 10 miles apart.

Seattle is a much bigger city with stadia, touristy things, etc.
So which one is it? First you say we're talking about two average American cities with little history 10 miles apart?

Then you claim Seattle is a much bigger city.

Your comments about Seattle's lack of history speak volumes. It actually has a rich and interesting history. Do you even know the origin of the term Skid Road? Your comments about Paris and London are absurd. You could play that card with any city in America.

Bellevue on the other hand doesn't even have a story to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area