Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 35,274 times

Advertisements

This is a very useful forum. All of you are very helpful. I was looking for a forum like this one.

I am really struggling to make a decision on where to get a place. I saw a couple of comments about Maple Valley.

Does anyone here have experience commuting from Maple Valley to downtown Seattle ?

1. Any viable transit options ?
2. Carpools useful ?
3. Driving tips?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 11:24 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
Hi techlord.

I don't have any first hand experience commuting from Maple Valley but I'll take a stab at your questions and then perhaps somebody who has actually done the commute can give you more accurate info'.

1. There is a direct bus to and from the Maple Valley Park and Ride (route #143) during the rush hour. During the mid-day, you'd have to make a transfer in Renton. So assuming you're making the commute into Seattle during normal commuting hours, taking the direct bus will take just over an hour.

2. Carpooling will save time by allowing you to use H.O.V. lanes in certain areas. Depending on the route you take there are some places you can utilize those lanes. For instance, carpooling, I'd suggest going to I-90 and using the H.O.V. lanes all the way from Issaquah to Seattle, whereas if you were driving by yourself, it would probably be shorter distance if you just stayed on SR-169 and crawled along with the traffic.

3. Driving tips? Be patient, it's going to be a long a miserable commute. However, not any more miserable than any other commute coming in to Seattle from anywhere else that is 25 miles away. Well, I might not go that far ...SR-169 can get pretty bad so perhaps it could be a more difficult commute than if you were coming in from somewhere else. This is where we hopefully will hear from other posters who actually make that commute as I personally haven't.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 08-07-2007, 09:16 AM

75 posts, read 476,886 times
Default I make this commute everyday and it bites!

I carpool and we leave at 6am. The roads are already full and even the car pool lanes are packed.

In good weather it takes an hour in the morning. In the evening we leave right at 4 and it takes over an hour to get back to my house. I'm right by the Safeway.

In bad weather - forget it. Ice stops everything and rains slows things down in the winter.

The bus takes longer than a car pool - even the express bus. Van pool is another option but they have multiple stops too and doesn't make things any faster.

I hope you like your car. You will spend a minimum of 15 hours a week commuting.

Don't think week-ends are any better either. Traffic around maple valley is bad then too. There is nothing in MV so we all have to leave to shop, go to movies and find a restaurant.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:15 AM

19 posts, read 82,034 times
Default Hidden secret

You have to check out the Sounder Train. 15 minutes to get to the station in Auburn, then an awesome, scenic ride into King Station in Seattle. No stress, comfortable seats, great views along the way and nice people to talk to. This is the way to go!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 PM

11 posts, read 73,980 times
Default Everybody in Maple Valley commutes

Since Maple Valley is family area everyone commutes out of the city to work. It's the norm there and worth it for the home prices and quality of life.

Try rideshare.com to find people to carpool with or a van pool to share the ride. It's awesome - sleep or read when it's not your turn to drive.

The Maple Valley bus from Maple Valley to downtown is also an option. The bus riders are a close group and it's more fun than your average bus ride.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,828,610 times
Your looking at about an hour. Give or take a few minutes. They're right about the snow. Snow just screws everything up. It has literally taken me an hour to go 1 mile in the snow in Issaquah in Seattle. I could've walked home faster. Some people did. Parkded right in the FREAKING ROAD...and got out and walked home. Which is why... it took an hour to go a mile.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:56 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,759 times
Don't know if this has been mentioned earlier, but the Seattle Times, in the SE King County insert that I get, had a story about commuting from the bedroom 'burbs via mass transit. Hopefully they'll make some of the talked about improvements; it doesn't sound like a great situation right now for bus riders.

Making it easier to get from here

Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 AM

37 posts, read 159,049 times
That dear Techlord is not a fun journey. I would get closer to Renton if I were you.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 35,274 times
Default Update: Great input from all of you

Update:

So I ended up moving to Maple Valley. The community is great and the scenic views and fresh air is unbeatable. Schools are excellent.

The commute to Seattle as I learned personally is very trying and can be frustrating at times. I tried pretty much every option but the train. You can't win !!!

Metro 143: This is a good route. They need to add at least 2 more routes fron Seattle in the evening after 5 PM. The last one now is around 5 PM. The market is there. It will be a huge success. In the morning they can probably add 2 more services between 7 and 8 AM.

The bus commute can be almost 90 mts. If you are lucky it'll be 70 mts.

Driving: Highway 169 can be very dangerous during the evenings and winter. It's very dark after 6 PM (winters) and you have cars coming at you at 60 mph in the opposite lane. But it is a viable option.

Carpool: Best option is to check at your own work place for someone who has similar work schedule. rideshareonline.com is good if it works for you.

I'll probably try the train.

The best news I have heard so far is the article linked above by Michael. I hope it happens !!

You guys are very helpful. Keep posting.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 PM

75 posts, read 476,886 times
Default commutes

Hi folks-

Kim Emmons is a real estate person in Maple Valley. She has a vested interest in getting folks to move to Maple Valley. I'd keep that in mind when reading her advice.

The sounder train as a daily commute to Seattle? Spoken by someone that doesn't commute daily to Seattle. It's 20 minutes to Auburn and then about an hour by train to the city. Once you get to Seattle it may be a bus, walk or cab ride to your office.

Yes, you don't have to drive, nice folks to talk to and all that but that is a lot of time.

Happy commuting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area