U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 AM

16 posts, read 37,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No, I happen to know the guy. Let's leave it at that.
I know him too. He'll be a great mayor! I'm psyched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 01:55 AM

2,654 posts, read 7,356,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingsarah View Post
I know him too. He'll be a great mayor! I'm psyched.

Anybody who is "psyched" by a Sierra Club bicycle riding mayor taking over Seattle.....

.....is scarier than the mayor-to-be.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:02 AM

132 posts, read 225,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Questions: Will he be pro-business? Will he be pro-density? Will he be pro-highrise? Not living in Seattle anymore, but still with an interest, I really want to know. Or is he just spewing out the typical liberal agenda? Is there any substance here? Again, I don't know, but am very curious. It's one thing to spend a lot of taxpayer money, another to make it work for the progress of a growing city. Which will it be?
Those are my curious questions too.

But I think maybe a typical liberal agenda is exactly what (a slim) majority of people in Seattle want. I can't remember how many times people are complaining that Greg Nickels are too friendly with businesses, and the fact that majority of people picked a ex-Sierra Club member over a well-connected businessman supported by the business community is stunning.

A perfect mayor is probably somewhere in between - a city needs to be for its people but it cannot sustain without thriving business. It will be a very interesting time for Seattle.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 PM

8,343 posts, read 14,925,420 times
Interesting observations, Bellevue Guy...I don't think the voters ditched Nickels because he was too friendly with business. In fact, a lot of small business people opposed him because people in the neighborhoods opposed him. He devoted a lot of money and energy into south Lake Union, ignoring the needs of a lot of other neighborhoods, including the needs of the business folks in those neighborhoods..
McGinn was a neighborhood guy, was active on the Greenwood Community Council. Nobody knew who Mallahan was. He hadn't been involved in local issues at all.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 PM

808 posts, read 1,398,376 times
Nickels was okay but he was kind of a goon.

The number one complaint of conventioners visiting the city was "you have too many bums and panhandlers." And the response was "bag tax!"

Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 AM

121 posts, read 224,471 times
It would be ironic if 4 years from now people looked back on the Nickels years fondly. I don't think either Mallahan or McGinn is qualified to be mayor. But I respect the will of my fellow citizens and hope McGinn proves me wrong. As a non-car owning transit user in Seattle's densest hood, I'm certainly on his side on many issues and share most of his views in support of denser, less car-oriented development. I'm just very skeptical that he will be able to accomplish his goals without the necessary compromises any politician must make. That in turn will embitter many of his ardent followers, who will then turn on him and find a new, purer figurehead in another 4 or 8 years. Remember, Nickels was the "kinder, gentler" alternative to Sidran back in 2001.

All large cities have nimby problems, but this city, with its high percentage of degreed professionals, has a nimby problem writ large. I fear that any mayor trying to make any sort of decisions can be easily labeled, as Nickels was, as "difficult to work with". Giuliani's and Daley's reputations are of being tough, aggressive mayors, but I don't think either of them would last a minute in this town. They'd throw up their hands in frustration!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:58 PM

86 posts, read 160,684 times
I never had much of a problem with Nickels. And he sure as hell is better than Paul Schell.

But I did vote for McGinn, despite his "unendorsement" of the tunnel.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:03 AM

2,224 posts, read 4,604,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Anybody who is "psyched" by a Sierra Club bicycle riding mayor taking over Seattle.....

.....is scarier than the mayor-to-be.
I was really surprised to hear that he won the race. What is Seattle turning into?? Portland??

Old 11-15-2009, 10:33 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,390,201 times
Gawd, let's hope not.

This might be considered unimportant by many, but one issue that has not been addressed here is that Seattle lost the Sonics on Nickels watch. Perhaps not Nickels fault totally, but the fact remains.

And I won't even touch the snow response issues. (Admittedly a tough issue in a city where you can get two feet one year, and a trace the next!).

Last edited by pw72; 11-15-2009 at 10:45 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 09:32 PM

121 posts, read 224,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Gawd, let's hope not.

This might be considered unimportant by many, but one issue that has not been addressed here is that Seattle lost the Sonics on Nickels watch. Perhaps not Nickels fault totally, but the fact remains.

And I won't even touch the snow response issues. (Admittedly a tough issue in a city where you can get two feet one year, and a trace the next!).
I don't think the Sonics was much of an issue, though maybe the point or two it might have cost him did push him to lose in the primary. Nick Licata won reelection, after all, and he was really obnoxious about the Sonics. I think the issue that did the heavy lifting in defeating Nickels was the fact that he simply made too many enemies over the years related to neighborhood issues. I don't recall McGinn making an issue about the Sonics' departure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area