U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:23 PM

3,350 posts, read 5,952,969 times

Advertisements

For those who don't already know, my wife and I are planning a move to Seattle in the spring. I'm a copy editor, and my job search has turned up nothing so far, so we're prepared to move without jobs if we have to and hope that being out there makes us more marketable.

In the meantime, I'm thinking about placing some cold calls -- or perhaps cold e-mails -- to some Seattle-area publishers that would be likely to have editors on staff.

I know about the Times, the P-I, the Stranger, and Seattle Weekly. What other publications are there in the Seattle area? Are there any book publishers? I've done some Googling, and the info I come up with doesn't seem terribly reliable -- for example, some of the publications I've looked up don't appear to be in business anymore, or the publisher actually turns out to be just a printing house that would have little need of an editor.

Oh, while I have you all on the line, what can anyone tell me about Seattle Pacific University? I see they have an opening for a managing editor, but I get the impression that it's also an evangelical school. That would be problematic if they expected me to sign a statement of faith or something like that. I'd enjoy the work, but I couldn't fake being something I'm not.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:21 AM

9,627 posts, read 23,823,776 times
Sound Publishing is the publisher of a huge number of weekly newspapers...a couple of magazines include Seattle magazine and Seattle Metropolitan magazine...Marine Digest is another, as are the Puget Sound Business Journal, the Eastside Business Journal, and the Daily Journal of Commerce. Sasquatch Press is a book publisher.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:05 PM

9 posts, read 17,160 times
Seattle Pacific is a faith driven school with all of their courses being grounded on the gospel of Jesus Christ, but it is associated with the Free Methodist Church not Evangelical Church. Resources for Faculty and Staff --will probably answer all your questions.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicalChels View Post
Seattle Pacific is a faith driven school with all of their courses being grounded on the gospel of Jesus Christ, but it is associated with the Free Methodist Church not Evangelical Church. Resources for Faculty and Staff --will probably answer all your questions.
Thanks. I found my way to that page after making my first post. I e-mailed the publications director about my concerns, and she was very cordial and explained that because of my religious views (or, more specifically, lack thereof), I probably wouldn't be the best fit for the job, despite tons of relevant experience. Oh, well.

@Ira: Thanks for the list. I've seen a few of those names pop up more than once in my Googling over the past few weeks. I'll make a note of them and probably start sending out some e-mails this week.

Do you suppose it would make any kind of impression on a publisher if I actually showed up in person and delivered my resume? Or would I just be wasting my money on a flight?

Old 11-16-2009, 04:10 PM

9,627 posts, read 23,823,776 times
Do you suppose it would make any kind of impression on a publisher if I actually showed up in person and delivered my resume? Or would I just be wasting my money on a flight?

It might be worth it if you were here for more than just that reason, like a reconnaissance mission to look at neighborhoods, or houses, or to see if you could endure continuous rainy days.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
[i]
It might be worth it if you were here for more than just that reason, like a reconnaissance mission to look at neighborhoods, or houses, or to see if you could endure continuous rainy days.
I was tossing around the idea of coming back out to check out some neighborhoods and spend some time on Vashon Island. The rain is a non-issue -- I love rainy days. The more, the better.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:43 PM

3,698 posts, read 10,221,323 times
Have you thought about applying for jobs in the marketing and communications departments of some of the bigger companies around here? Someone has to edit things like software manuals, after all.

There are a LOT of English majors, communications majors, writers, editors and such out here. You'll be facing steep competition for any job that you're applying for.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Have you thought about applying for jobs in the marketing and communications departments of some of the bigger companies around here? Someone has to edit things like software manuals, after all.

There are a LOT of English majors, communications majors, writers, editors and such out here. You'll be facing steep competition for any job that you're applying for.
Believe me, I know. I'll look around and see what marketing and communications companies are likely to have a need for some staff editors. Good idea -- thanks.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,838,984 times
As for the statement of faith, they often will ask about it on the job application itself. Or, at least, Northwestern does. So you can tell right away if its going to be an issue.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:39 AM
LMB

406 posts, read 1,701,416 times
Have you checked out The Mountineers Books? They are a niche book publisher in Seattle. Just Google them. Also, McGraw Hill still has a Seattle presence in educational publishing--I think it's an e-learning group, but they may have some editorial positions. I can't remember the name of the Seattle temp agency that specializes in editorial/writing placement, but if they're still around you should be able to find them with some online research. Seems they were always looking for tech writers for manuals, etc. Another thought is that you might give Elliot Bay Books a call and ask about local book publishers.

Good luck with your search!

Lynn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or