U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 04:37 PM

172 posts, read 264,352 times

Advertisements

Seattle is it!!! I cant wait to move back for the mountain climbing, boating, mtn biking, etc. Its a great place for the outdoors. Seattle is a big city feel, but not as big as Chicago. Some parts of the city feel like a small town. Winters in Seattle are awesume compared to other parts of the country 40 degrees and rain. I would take the 40 degrees and rain anyday to 5 feet of snow and negative tempertatures around the great lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 AM

30 posts, read 43,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Do you enjoy the feel of sunlight on your skin? If yes, Seattle's not for you.
haha, snort, that is for sure!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 AM

2,807 posts, read 2,612,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch2 View Post
Seattle is it!!! I cant wait to move back for the mountain climbing, boating, mtn biking, etc. Its a great place for the outdoors. Seattle is a big city feel, but not as big as Chicago. Some parts of the city feel like a small town. Winters in Seattle are awesume compared to other parts of the country 40 degrees and rain. I would take the 40 degrees and rain anyday to 5 feet of snow and negative tempertatures around the great lakes.
ill take the winters of Phoenix. Even when its summer here (phoenix) and its 110 plus degrees, I get to see sunshine 350 days a year. I think there are two types of folks in Seattle, folks that say they hate the overcast weather, and folks who are in denial. Can not beleive the change of mood my brain went thru after moving back here. Seem like I just wanted to take long naps in Seatte, had a hard time getting motivated for anything. Here I get up, and want to go exploring. I don't understand why sunshine does this to me, but Im sure wont make the mistake of moving back to my home state of 35 year (WA).

Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 AM

3,740 posts, read 5,386,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vells View Post
Dude, the "Seattle coffee" isn't Starbucks or Seattle's best -- it's these little coffee kiosks and roadside stands with names no one outside of Washington has ever heard of and that typically aren't franchised.

Seattle has this thing about being proud of Starbucks due to its local origin, but the locals don't actually go there (much like the area is proud to be the home of Microsoft, yet it is considered more "hip" by a lot of Seattle people to own a Mac).
Oh brother. That's why the University Village Starbucks in the busiest store in the world, because there are so many non-local tourists hanging out at U-Village. There are 26 stores in downtown alone. And I used to see all sorts of my neighbors at the Wedgwood location (we were all locals). When I was in grad school at the UW, less than 10% of my classmates carried mac laptops. Unfortunately, I don't have any other hard numbers, only personal observation, but neither my husband nor I ever worked anywhere in Seattle that had Macs.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:18 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,330,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
ill take the winters of Phoenix. Even when its summer here (phoenix) and its 110 plus degrees, I get to see sunshine 350 days a year. I think there are two types of folks in Seattle, folks that say they hate the overcast weather, and folks who are in denial. Can not beleive the change of mood my brain went thru after moving back here. Seem like I just wanted to take long naps in Seatte, had a hard time getting motivated for anything. Here I get up, and want to go exploring. I don't understand why sunshine does this to me, but Im sure wont make the mistake of moving back to my home state of 35 year (WA).
Whether you believe it or not there are people in Seattle who either like, or don't mind the weather here.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:06 AM

2,353 posts, read 581,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Oh brother. That's why the University Village Starbucks in the busiest store in the world, because there are so many non-local tourists hanging out at U-Village. .
lol

As Yogi Berra once said. "It's so crowded, no one goes there any more"

There is some truth to the statements about "no one going there" however.

Starbucks is what it is. A very successful and "available" place to get decent espresso.

Serious coffee hounds won't be caught dead there however. They frequent the premium artisians like Vivave, Diva, Victorla, Uptown, Caffe Vita and many other espresso houses that have taken espresso to the "next level" and well beyond. I defy you to have a latte at Vivace and tell me they are remotely close.

To be honest, Starbucks can't steam milk to save their arse.

Try and get one of these at Starbucks. Not gonna happen.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
lol

As Yogi Berra once said. "It's so crowded, no one goes there any more"

There is some truth to the statements about "no one going there" however.

Starbucks is what it is. A very successful and "available" place to get decent espresso.

Serious coffee hounds won't be caught dead there however. They frequent the premium artisians like Vivave, Diva, Victorla, Uptown, Caffe Vita and many other espresso houses that have taken espresso to the "next level" and well beyond. I defy you to have a latte at Vivace and tell me they are remotely close.

To be honest, Starbucks can't steam milk to save their arse.

Try and get one of these at Starbucks. Not gonna happen.
I didn't write you wouldn't have a higher quality experience elsewhere, only refuting the statement that "locals don't go there". There is a big difference between local Seattleites and "serious coffee hounds."

BTW, back when Starbucks was merely six or so stores in the early eighties, they were putting out great espresso. It wasn't until they went public, became coffee for the masses and purchased those automated machines that the quality went slightly down hill.. I worked there almost two decades ago as a barista and they used to put us through an eight hour training shift at a closed store where we practiced pulling, timing, and sipping shots. Boy were we wired at the end of that day.

Last edited by Jennibc; 12-01-2009 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: adding a final thought.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Fair enough.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:36 AM

Jenn,

For may years I travelled to TX in the 90's. Struggling to find a decent cup of coffee, let alone a decent espresso. The lone exception at that time was Captain Quackenbush's Intergalactic Pastry and Espresso bar. Just north of 15th on Guadalupe.

Cappuccino Gran served in a large Beer Glass.

A true "Oasis" it was. No pun intended for the Austin local. The Oasis was fun too.

I hear that Quack's is no longer there. I'm sad to hear that.

Austin is a diamond. Love that town.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Jenn,

For may years I travelled to TX in the 90's. Struggling to find a decent cup of coffee, let alone a decent espresso. The lone exception at that time was Captain Quackenbush's Intergalactic Pastry and Espresso bar. Just north of 15th on Guadalupe.

Cappuccino Gran served in a large Beer Glass.

A true "Oasis" it was. No pun intended for the Austin local. The Oasis was fun too.

I hear that Quack's is no longer there. I'm sad to hear that.

Austin is a diamond. Love that town.
Quack's is now in the Hyde park neighborhood. Yep, tough to get a good shot of espresso here. That's why I own an espresso machine and pull my own! Very important on days like today - 40s, gray, and drizzly - feel like I am back in Seattle (which would explain my recent activity on the Seattle board!) Fortunately when we get weather like this here, it's gone in a few days....and then I stop lurking on the Seattle boards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area