U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-15-2009, 11:19 PM

461 posts, read 814,857 times
Interesting, I've seen quite a few attractive ladies around.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 PM

857 posts, read 2,521,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. T+L, IMO, is a elitist, pretentious rag that is advertisement laden, but with no real substantive articles.
I think I basically agree... gotta consider the source. I wouldn't have thought to put it into those words exactly, but every time I pick it up, I flip through it looking for articles, and then I realize those silly lists WERE the articles. Nothing much good in there. And I love travel. And leisure, for that matter. But reading where the best four all-inclusive spas in Thailand for a hot-stone massage are doesn't engage me a whole lot. And sometimes that's about the only thing in the entire magazine, buried among all the ads for useless expensive stuff. Given the magazine, I guess I can infer the readership, and given that, I don't think I care what they rank where!!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 5,992 times
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't take it too seriously.

Houston is ranked at number eight in attractiveness. Like ten or fifteen percent of the people here are good-looking. Everyone else is just round. Houston is the sixth fattest city in America, after all -- and I would take that ranking seriously because it's actually quantitative.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:24 PM

309 posts, read 477,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
I think I basically agree... gotta consider the source. I wouldn't have thought to put it into those words exactly, but every time I pick it up, I flip through it looking for articles, and then I realize those silly lists WERE the articles. Nothing much good in there. And I love travel. And leisure, for that matter. But reading where the best four all-inclusive spas in Thailand for a hot-stone massage are doesn't engage me a whole lot. And sometimes that's about the only thing in the entire magazine, buried among all the ads for useless expensive stuff. Given the magazine, I guess I can infer the readership, and given that, I don't think I care what they rank where!!
EXACTLY! My partner has a subscription to T+L (much to my chagrin) and every so often, I'll pick one up and thumb through it - Good Grief! You have to sift through 25 pages just to find the table of contents, oh wait, are there two tables of contents? I can never tell for sure. Along with the Thailand all-inclusive spa's, are secluded beach cottages on Bali, and the incessant lists of the best places to be pretentious, look elitist, and hob-nob with the snooty. Occassionally, you can look on page 72 (or is it 162 if you include the advertisements) on slumming it in Detroit, Des Moines, or (gasp) Seattle.
Whew! Had to unload - I'm confined at home with the flu and am a tad cranky but that made me feel good - Thanks! I hope I entertained!

Seriously, I've said it before, these lists are ridiculous. They are always colored by those who write them. I would rather see and experience for myself. Then I can make an informed judgement based on my sensibilities.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:17 PM

467 posts, read 1,147,036 times
Hard to argue with T+L but I don't think most people from Seattle really care about the magazine or if they look "good". People just seem to stop trying once they reach 25. Not everyone is like that though.

I find it funny seeing people in public wearing stuff they probably wore to bed (house slippers outdoors??) or wearing clothes from 20 yrs ago that never fit well then either. Also seeing some women wearing the amorphous mono-color outfit or something that looks like they grabbed out of their husband's side of the closet.

It's fine though b/c it's Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area