Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 14,067 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have wanted to live In Seattle for years now, and am wondering what my chances are of finding a teaching position in around the city. I have a B.A. in history, a M.ed., and am licensed in the state of New Hampshire. I assume that the market for history teachers is pretty flooded but was just hoping to hear something positive about my chances of landing a job as a teacher in seattle within say a year or two.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about the Seattle public school district and/or employment opportunities? Any help at all would be much appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:28 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
I know this is dated, but way back when I was an undergrad at the UW, I looked into the department of Education and was set to get my liberal arts degree in the social sciences. The advisor told me that if I wanted to teach something like high school history I'd better be willing to move to Yakima or the tri-cities and also be able to coach wrestling. This was over 20 years ago so things may have changed. At the time, some of my classmates who did graduate with English degrees (more in demand) and teaching certification took a few years to find something permanent in the Seattle area.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the response. I am sure it is still really difficult to land a history teaching position. I'm pretty set on this, though. I'm determined to work towards getting an ed job there in Seattle, I'm just hoping someone might have some suggestions on what I can do to increase my odds.

I wish I was a math teacher at times like this, but id never teach full time in a field I'm simply not passionate about. Oh well.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the response. I am sure it is still really difficult to land a history teaching position. I'm pretty set on this, though. I'm determined to work towards getting an ed job there in Seattle, I'm just hoping someone might have some suggestions on what I can do to increase my odds.

I wish I was a math teacher at times like this, but id never teach full time in a field I'm simply not passionate about. Oh well.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Public school teaching opportunities are here: WATeach

I was looking into a high school teaching position this past summer, but not much was available: many teachers were laid off during the summer, so the market was flooded. Maybe things will pick up next year.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:13 PM

88 posts, read 234,528 times
I do not know firsthand (am not in the teaching profession) but I found this somewhat handy when I was interested in knowing education standards in various states.

U.S. Chamber of Commerce - Leaders and Laggards: A State-by-State Report Card on Educational Effectiveness

The heading "21st century teaching force" is what covers the teachers' criteria (in as much as they are reflected here).
Washington apparently has some fairly stringent requirements on teacher testing and certification.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 9,290 times
I'm a special education teacher in Miami and I was wondering the same thing...but regardless I'm moving to seattle....I'm really hoping for a positive outcome....

Old 12-01-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadulce79 View Post
I'm a special education teacher in Miami and I was wondering the same thing...but regardless I'm moving to seattle....I'm really hoping for a positive outcome....
As far as I know special ed is one of the higher demand areas.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:20 PM

18 posts, read 49,909 times
I'm an elementary education teacher and regardless of whether I get a job or not I'm moving to Seattle (my fiance got a job there). If the high school positions are rare I suspect the elementary area to be even worse. Are my assumptions correct or can I be a little bit more hopeful? Are there certain districts that are hiring more teachers than others?

Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 PM

Again, my information is extremely dated, but getting a job at the elementary level used to be easier than the high school level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area